“Thorougly enjoyed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Saskatoon, Canada
“Thorougly enjoyed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

If it weren't for the location, I would've rate the hotel as a 4 out of 5 (as there were a few updates needed, nothing major - just an update in some wall paper and the couches in the lobby) but we hardly let that kind of thing ruin our holiday unlike some travelers.

We just got back today (September 19th) from a week here. Check in was really quick and the staff were very friendly. All 6 of us (2 to a room) asked for king beds but we all got 2 beds instead - oh well, I definitely don't mind having my own room to sleep lol. Our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, view was of construction and a trailer park - but I can hardly blame them for something like that. I was surprised that there was no bath tub though since this is a family area - not a problem for a few couples though. I suggest bringing your own hair dryer here, though, the one they provide is pretty weak.

The hotel doesn't actually offer shuttle - it's the city bus system that drops off and picks up outside the restaurant. Costs $4 per day per person (gets cheaper the more days you purchase at once) for unlimited rides during the day - hop on the number 12 and after stopping at the convention centre and the garden walk (which is only a 10 minute walk if you want to go to Bubba Gumps or the Cheesecake Factory for supper) and you're at Disneyland.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the mini-fridge with freezer in the room as we froze bottled water to take to the parks with us.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that in the bathroom they offer bath & body works products as this is a company that does not test on animals. I needed some conditioner and the front desk gave me a little mini-combo pack of for free. Anytime we asked the front desk for help, they were courteous and happy to talk and direct us.

I saw a review on the restaurant not being very good - but I totally disagree. We ate here a few times and the food was great! Some of the things we had in our group were philly cheese steaks, bacon bbq burger, fettucine alfredo, onion rings (which were insanely enormous) and others - everything was delicious with the exception of the philly cheese steak which was still pretty ok. We dealt with Arturo and Mara and they were wonderful - Arturo kept joking about our Canadian Tomato sunburns and Mara chatted with us for quite some time and really enjoyed when we tried to speak Tagalog to her (she is Filipino, and we have some friends here who have taught us a few things in Tagalog).

House keeping were nice about placing our things back on the bed if that's where they were when we came in - there was change and stuff left out that stayed where it was and when she did knock and we were still there, she was very nice.

We ordered room service and she told me it would be 20-30 minutes (for a cheese steak with caesar salad and fries and gravy) - well, she was there in like 10 minutes. Quick service and she brought it in our room for us after asking if it was ok.

The jacuzzi is a fantastic option for the evening after a long, painful day at Disney. You can sort of see the fireworks from the pool (remember though that fireworks only go on weekends, otherwise it's just the world of color show).

I would stay here again based on service and value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Palm Springs, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed there for the first time this past weekend; this is most definitely NOT a resort given its location on a one-way street next to the Santa Ana Freeway . The desk staff was friendly and the lobby and public areas clean and attractive. The room was another thing altogether. We were placed in a handicap access room and although the hotel is non-smoking, someone didn't tell other guests on our floor. At least one room we walked by clearly smelled of smoke. Being placed in handicap access meant a larger than normal room, but one with no place to sit other than on the bed or a desk chair. The television was an old, dying 19" analog in an area where every hotel in the area now has a modern flat screen. PIllows were weird little things marked "soft" and "firm" and really weren't either, although the bed was comfortable. The worst part was the bathroom. Indelible rust stains ran from one of the grab handles in the bathtub into the bathtub itself and one of the two shower heads leaked while the water was on. Fortunately, it was the handheld head and it easily reached into the sink. Most annoying was the gentleman in the lobby who tried to entice us into a "free breakfast," meaning "timeshare pitch." He was friendly enough, but we came to spend the weekend at Disneyland and not to sit through a miserable sales pitch. At least parking was free and relatively plentiful out by the pool area. However, I'm still waiting for the $50 hold for "incidental expenses" to drop from my credit card. I called the hotel and I was told the charge was released immediately and it would take time for the drop to be processed by the bank. We'll see.

Room Tip: Avoid handicap access unless you actully require it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DisneyTraveler25
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear DisneyTraveler25,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

The bathroom was in need of updating. There was plumbing tape around the shower head which also had mildew on it. During the middle of the night our outdated air conditioner went nuts and sounded like a plane was landing in our room so we had to turn it off. We had to leave the pool area because a bunch of 20 somethings came down drinking and being loud. We didn't get the "free" breakfast because we booked through a third party site. We let the front desk know our concerns and they were nice and apologized but did nothing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear RRed42,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry to hear that you experienced inconvenience due to the conditions of your bathroom and our air conditioner. Please accept our sincere apologies about the noise. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M
Sabattus, ME
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

The staff was friendly and helpful, the restaurant was decent (breakfast), but the room was a little weird. There was just one towel rack on the bathrrom wall, and no shower curtain, so no rod to hang wet stuff on. We had wet bathing suits, wet fitness center clothing, and wet towels. The shower was a walk-in, 90-degree shower with no curtain or door. The room itself was a funky design, with the main door almost hitting the bathroom door if it was left open. Then there were closet doors to walk around before getting to the main part of the room. Some items, including pictures and the bed headboard, were covering up patches and renovations on the walls. One picture was about three-and-a-half feet up from the floor to cover a patch job.
If we had known about the ART buses to get around, we might have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express instead, but we wanted to be close to the baseball stadium in case we could walk there. (You can't.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmsab23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear jmsab23,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you liked our helpful hotel staff and breakfast. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have during your stay due to the interior of the room and condition of the bathroom. We work very hard to ensure our quality and services are superior. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

We hope to get the chance of hosting you again and show you the improvements made.

Zelyn N
IHG Care
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Room is very old style and seems that the hotel never been renovated since the opening.. We shocked by the old TV and the bathroom full of stains and cracks at many places.. When we booked this hotel we thought thatwe will enjoy the stay but seems that this was just a dream

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Darkeyes0608
Bracknell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have been to Anaheim multiple times over the years and came here with no intention of doing the Disney or Universal theme parks. As others have mentioned, the Anaheim Resort Transport stops on the property. Depending on how many there are in your group this may well work out cheaper than parking at places like Disney.

I notice that a couple of other reviewers have commented that it is not really close to the local shops and restaurants. I would agree with this (we had rented a car).

Overall the stay was absolutely fine apart from:

The computers in the lobby were not working (not a major issue as I have a smart phone and they provide free Wi-Fi) so when I wanted to print off a booking confirmation I went next door to the Staybridge Suites that is part of the same site (as suggested by reception).

The "hiccup" was that I was given 1 voucher for 1 free breakfast for every night of the stay (I am a Priority Club Member). As this was 6 nights and there were 3 of us I thought we would we use 3 each for 2 days. The "duty manager" initially made quite a fuss over this and said it was not possible. In they end they relented and agreed that we could use the vouchers as I wanted. My wife however was not impressed with the initial "attitude" and so we ate breakfast out after the first two mornings using up the vouchers!

Apart from the breakfast issue the staff were great and very friendly. No problem with the room (clean and well maintained) apart from the fact that the air conditioning was a bit loud.

I would be happy to return here in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TheRealEngineer
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

The biggest issue we had with this hotel was our room. The cleanliness was terrible. We actually found a hair brush as well as a used kleenex in the hotel room when we checked in. Our entire floor stunk of smoke. We complained to front desk and they said they had temp cleaning staff in and apologized. It is a pain to take the shuttle to the park. Personally we were much happier when we stayed at hotels closer to the park main gate. I would never recommend or stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank maggie286
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear maggie286,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on cleanliness, poor housekeeping and poor shuttle service. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.