“It was OKAY!”

Motel 6 Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #80 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Okay just to be clear, it was "OK" but just OK. Some people that write their reviews of this place can be too critical but my opinion is that's what you get for the price. I paid $90.58 per room out-the-door. I rented two rooms and one rooms door was stuck and had to be opened with a shoulder. Renventions looked cheap and entrance to the bathroom area looked like an old folding closet door, it did not lock. Beds were NOT comfortable in both rooms. I believe they were new but not high comfort. No complementary shampoo, conditioner. Just to sleep somewhere it was doable. Not somewhere to be comfortable. Security guards where very nice and helpful. I don't like how the manager was extremely pushing the perfect 10 score needed on the Customer Service Review M6 sends out. I was waiting to check out and I saw the manager badgering two oriental women (didn't speak english) about giving their motel a perfect score. It was felt odd that he was doing it like that in front of so many other guests. He got the home run in the end with those women. I was think to myself, "I should hire this guy at my office, he's an animal."

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Adam H

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Overall this place serves its purpose, the rooms are clean and comfy. I wasn't there during the day since we only used the room to crash at night after coming in exhausted from Disney. The ice machine on the 2nd and 3rd floor wasn't working so we had to trek up to the 4th floor, slight inconvenience. Also the credit card machine was down at the front desk causing us to miss the shuttle to Disney while the front desk girl "called in" my credit card info. Like I said overall not bad for a Motel 6.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank iliketotravel2ohya
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I give this motel 5/5 because it exceeds MY criteria for a DL hotel. If you prefer to pay more for luxury, or spend more time in your room, then this is not the place for you. If you would rather spend your time and money in the park this place is perfect. My minimum criteria is 1) clean, quiet, comfortable and safe 2) excellent price w/o hidden fees 3) extremely convenient to DL and 4) affordable internet and 5) coffee.

In a nutshell clean, quiet and comfortable and "affordable" hotels near DL go for $125 - $135 night. Rooms under $80/night are likely to be scary, worn and dodgy-- even if some reviewers recommend them as an affordable place to flop your experience may be a crap shoot. Motel 6 hits the "sweet spot" impeccably clean, quiet, safe, modern, great staff, decent amenities and half the price of my former DL home base (Crowne Plaza). It is also VERY convenient to DL-- another requirement of mine that comes at a price. If anyone knows of another place so convenient and so nice that's under $75 bucks a night, please let me know! But, I don't think it exists.

1. Clean, comfortable: CLEAN: Rooms have been recently renovated, freshly painted and look exactly as they do in the pictures. I like the hip modern vibe, clean/uncluttered look. It goes a long way to making a budget hotel feel very comfortable. I noticed the rooms are designed to make it VERY easy to clean-- and they ARE impeccably clean. Maintenance is excellent: no scuffs, worn areas, dents, stains and damaged finishes. All appliances and fixtures are new and work well. COMFY: Great work station, sitting area for those that stay wired into work. We have no problem with any of the three mattresses we have used. No, they are not as fabulous as the mattresses at the Crown Plaza (they have the good sleep program..sigh..) but we find them comfortable.

2. Quiet and Safe: QUIET: This is a concrete block building so we NEVER hear noise from rooms next to or above us. We always ask for a room facing the interior courtyard, but any room that doesn't face the freeway should be quiet.. I would avoid ground floor rooms in summer because of noise from the pool area.( Being very picky on the noise issue, you can hear people talking on the outside walkway as they walk past your room, but we are usually exhausted enough to sleep through this. ) They have a security guard who walks the property in the evening so you don't have to worry about loud parties-- nor the safety of your room or your car in the parking lot.

3. More on Cost: Remember when you comparison shop you not only need to take into consideration the cost of the room, but the fees for parking, shuttles, internet, and the dreaded "mandatory resort fee." M6 Anaheim does not charge for parking, they allow us to keep our car in the lot on the day we check out (during our last visit to DL) and of course they do not have the irritating $20/00 per day "Mandatory Resort Fee." Internet costs $1.99/day but well worth the savings. M6 had a 24-hour technical support line and they 're really helpful and definitely worth the two bucks. Three-day unlimited use Shuttle passes cost $12.50 pp. If you want a room with a refrigerator, they charge an extra $3/day. 10% senior/military discount brings room to $60 bucks inc. tax. Coffee is free :)

4. The hotel is so easy to get to-- it's right off the freeway exit southbound. It is also very close to DL. Although it's a long block away from one of the cast parking lots, I would not walk. It's just a bit too far after a ten-hour day walking DL. The shuttle runs 3 times an hour and takes 10 minutes each way. 3-day pass= $12.50

5. Coffee. Yes, that is really a criteria. DL has DREADFUL coffee- even the espresso drinks are unpalatable. So, I'm tired of paying $7.00/day for very unsatisfying coffee. Usually I bring my own coffee and brew it in the hotel room coffee-maker. (If you haven't guessed by now I don't have much use for hotel room coffee either..) M6 does not provide in-room coffee makers (how could they for such a good room price?) but they do offer free coffee in the lobby in the morning. I was skeptical, but it is not bad at all. It's better than DL coffee or even Dietrich coffee store in Crown Plaza. So there you have it. BTW-- there is a Starbucks in California Adventure now. whew.

MIscellaneous stuff: GOOD THINGS They have a pool and hot tub and no resort fee! They are always maintaining the building and grounds. The lobby store has some essentials and limited Disney merch that is 30% cheaper than park prices. Rooms w/ a fridge are extra 3 bucks a day and are all on the fourth floor. There is a nearby 7-11 with snacks, drinks and salads. There is a computer/printer in lobby that charges in 5 minute increments. They have irons and ironing boards on request from front desk. They have REAL hairdryers- not the lame ones attached to the wall at the front desk. The staff have always been wonderful and helpful. Motel sells both shuttle tickets and Disneyland admission tickets at the front desk. There is a microwave in the lobby if you need to use it (next to the vending machines of processed food.) You can see the DL fireworks from the fourth floor walkway. Negatives: The only window in the guest room faces the walkway which you keep closed for privacy when you're there and closed security when you're not--so you get little natural light. Towels are standard issue motel six quality. Thin towels are okay, but they're a bit rough. Not enough space to hang your clothes.

Room Tip: interior rooms or rooms not facing freeway are quieter. Rooms at the end of dead-end walkways have...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Jim_Linda
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this motel six, my trip was from May 29-June 4 so six nights at this motel. After reading bad reviews from previous guests I didn't know what to expect but I decided to take a chance and book this motel. We arrived around 7pm and the women at the counter Monica had told me that I had no reservation made but no big deal she booked me the room that I wanted which was fine with me. We stayed in room 358, every bad review was nothing like our room. It looked brand new! The beds had no stains, no hairs on the sheets and in towels, it smelt fresh, the bathroom was spotless, and the fridge was clean. There was absolutely nothing wrong with that room. This was a great room for 3 college students wanting to take a vacation but needing a cheap place to stay. You get more than what you pay for at this motel, the look of the rooms are way better than motels around the area. The only thing that could've been great was having a blow dryer and coffee maker in the room. But it was no big deal. On our last night out keys did not work and after changing keys three times, the 2 male workers at the counter said that the door lock was probably dead so there was no way a card key would open it and they would need the actual door key. He called his manager and the manager personally came down late at night to open the door for us which was very nice of him. So he put us into room 354 two rooms down, which was spotless just like our last room and they refunded us that last nights stay and was put onto my card a day after my stay. I recommend families staying at this hotel, it's just a quick 10 minute walk to Disney. There is also an ART stop right on the property which comes every twenty minutes which was very convenient. If you think about taking the art, buy your passes from the actual kiosk at disneyland because cards purchased at the motel will give you problems. You won't be disappointed, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Desha Marie G
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Room was clean and large. Loved the vinyl flooring instead of dirty carpet. If you want luxury this is not the place for you. It's a simple room to crash after a long day at the amusement parks. Only complaint I have is they didn't leave towels for the last night in the room. Loved the cubby where we could put our shoes and small luggage out of the way. The staff was very friendly, check in and check out went very quickly. Only thing better would have been to have check out through the tv so you wouldn't have to stop on your way out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dbkeybrd
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have stayed a total of 4 times in this hotel in the past. I have seen a lot of negative rooms about this Motel 6, most of them being about cigarette burns in the sheets and the smell of smoke. Motel 6 has non-smoking and smoking rooms. My very first time staying here we stayed in a smoking room and it was terrible. The previous three stays have been incredible, I always make sure to ask for non-smoking rooms and there is never no problem at all. The mattresses are super comfortable, I wonder what company manufactures those mattresses. Overall this hotel is really nice and super affordable.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Alex R
Reviewed May 9, 2013

P-L-E-A-S-E read!
So my first visit here was in april 2012 and we did a road trip with my boyfriend and i (18 and 21) we brought his little brother(15) and my two cousin and my little sister.(14,15,16) we drove from Seattle, Washington to Anaheim. It took us 18 hours and 1,500 miles to get to Anaheim and we were completely exhausted when we arrived! We literally checked in and unloaded our bags from the van and sat down in our room. There was a loud car that parked right outside our window who was blasting his music SO loud, but we just ignored it because we were too tired to care. Within 10 minutes, someone from the front office came to our door and started accusing us of blasting music. He was SO incredibly rude and walked away before we could even speak and to tell him it wasnt us. After 5 minutes of him yelling at us for no reason, we were all upset and tried to just make the best of our week.

The hotel keys kept malfunctioning and we had to go down to the office to get them to give us new ones everyday. That was not pleasant since we were so tired from spending our day at the park and we had to do this everynight to get our keys replaced.

The most upsetting part about this motel is my boyfriend and I came back to Anaheim April 2013. It was just us and he had made the reservation under his name. We decided to stay at Motel 6 and give it one more shot. We once again had problems the minute we tried to check in. The man at the counter said even though we had reservations that he could not rent to us. Here we are tired from another long journey from Seattle and he told us we were banned from the hotel because of past problems. We tried to explain that we were falsley accused of loud music the year before, but he said "Sorry. You need to go somewhere else" and he walked away right after that. So I started crying bcos we had a whole schedule and day planned out and we asked why they couldnt tell us this while we were calling for a reservation and he said, "Well we can't discuss anything with you." It didnt make sense. As I was crying the lady behind him said i could rent under my name and not under my boyfriend's name so we did that since we had too many bags to walk to another hotel and not have any idea what the prices would be. We unfortunately had to stay 5 nights there and it was horrible. The squeaking bed and poorly lit bathroom. Its as if they try to make you have a horrible stay.
BOTTOME LINE, spend more at another hotel! Dont come here. You will regret it!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple