“not too bad, but not that great”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Overall this hotel was "ok" but I would not stay here again with all of the competition in the area. I have definately stayed at better hotels near Disneyland for about the same price. This hotel was located away from the main drag which is good for some people but we had preferred to walk to Disneyland so the "1 block from Disneyland" description was a little misleading and disappointing. It was 1 block from Disneyland Dr. but a good 2 miles from the park entrance. This hotel was very clean, probably one of the cleanest rooms in which I have ever stayed in Anaheim. The room we had booked was to have 2 queen beds but actually had 2 double beds. They were very comfortable beds so I decided not to make an issue of it. The rooms were tiny, but I did like how the vanities were seperate from the bathroom. The staff at the desk was not very inviting, a little obnoxious actually, but it made us laugh so I can chalk it off as free entertaiment. The restaurant offers a free "kid meal" for each kid with paid adults but charges nearly $8 for 1 waffle about the size of an EGGO, with no sides and if you wanted to add 1 egg it would cost $2.75 extra and that was for kids and adults. The restaurant staff was dressed the same as the housecleaning staff and the person who waited on us didn't seem to have been trained to do her job properly and actually hid in the back most of the time. We happened to be the only people in the restaurant, so I didn't understand why we had to flag down the person bussing tables to get a refill on our drinks . The next day we ate at Denny's where our kids were not free but we still ended up paying a fraction of the price and eggs came with our waffle. The $11.50 "resort fee" was a ridiculous add on. They did not offer a free shuttle to Disneyland like most of the hotels, so they should have just called it a "parking fee." That would make more sense and cause less confusion as this hotel was not a "resort" style hotel and the only thing it had was a little gift shop. It's hard not to feel "ripped off" when the host at the desk cannot explain what the resort fee entails, only saying "it helps with the upkeep of the hotel which is located near a resort area." (Meaning Disneyland)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)

Reviewed June 12, 2010

Great Hotel, near Disneyland Resort couple blocks away, good service

Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

Booked with a 3.5 star choice on Priceline...got the room for 47 dollars a night, to stay Saturday check out on Wednesday night.

The hotel charges a 10 dollar a day "resort fee"....this is NOT a resort, so basically it is a parking fee.....understand that all the hotels in this area are now charging a parking fee. What happend to staying at a hotel, and driving there...you were already paying for a room? Oh well, when one gets away with it...then suddenly they all do it. And with the 10 dollar fee....you get chaged 1.50 per day "tax" on the "resort fee"....so 11.50 a day extra.

The location.
We use hotels in the Anaheim area for Disneyland.....we have stayed at many places in the area, so I will try not to compare...Ill just be factual. Please note that if you have never been to Disneyland before...a "Disney" block away could be 3-5 miles from the entrance. This hotel states it is "one block" from Disneyland. If you were to walk from this hotel, down Walnut street to Magic way, make a left...keep walking to the Disneyland hotel. .....keep walking....you could catch the monorail in Downtown Disney, or you could keep walking....and you are at the gate in about 15 minutes and about 2 miles one way. OR...you could take the ART bus from the front of the hotel to the drop off area by the entrance. ART passess one day cost us 14 dollars for 2 adults and 3 kids....you can buy different days passess and are cheaper when purchased ahead of time. The desk at this hotel sells one day passess. There is a Shell gas station on the corner, and this hotel is not far from a Denney's and other fast food restaurants.

The pool and Spa.
There is a small pool here, with lots of lounge chairs. The pool is surrounded by bamboo bushes. There is an outside shower and lots of fresh towels. There is shaded areas available as well for those who like to lie out in the shade. The pool...I never got into...to be honest it looked so murky with all the kids in it, and I was quite disgusted with the children in their with diapers on...blech....PLEASE people if you have a kid in diapers, put the swimmer diapers on...it just looks nasty.

There is a small spa, that I did put my legs and feet in...another pet peeve of mine...if your children are doing cannon balls into a spa filled with sore, tired adults...please think about telling them to head back to the swimming pool to do that!

I have to say, that the pool area is very clean and there are bathrooms there for use. The staff brings colds water with lemons and cups so you can drink if you want to. There is a bar right inside the door, where they make all kinds of yummy frozen drinks. My niece had a virgin daquiri that she liked, I had the bloody mary and it was pretty good. Both drinks cost 8 dollars together.

The room
We got a queen queen room. The room was pretty small...however decorated nicely, very clean. The bed was super comfy, with 8 pillows on each bed of all different softness and firmness to choose from. I was happy to see there were no comforters...I am glad that hotels are getting away from comforters and going with the duvets or sheets that are washable. There was a desk, a chair, a 3 drawer tv stand, a night stand with lamps on the wall. The bathroom had a shower that was the plastic insert kind, and the sink and mirror was on the outside of the bathroom...awesome for teenage girls who like to do make up for hours! :)

The housekeeping staff did a great job keeping the room clean.

The hallways are a bit stuffy, I would recommend that some of that "resort fee" went to keeping those areas cool.

I have to say that although we were put right at the elevator, stairwell and laundry room...we were not wakend one time by any noise...it was very quiet here, and I was thankful for that.

The onsite restaurant.
This will be a life saver for those with kids who eat of the kids menu......They serve breakfast and dinner. If one adult is there and you have 4 kids...they all eat free with paying adult. I did hear that if you have over 5 you are charged the large party gratuity of 18 percent...we were lucky to be 5 people. Breakfast for all of us cost us 18 dollars. They serve large portions. We also had dinner which cost us 25 dollars...all the kids ate free. Understand that food here is not meant to be gourmet...I would compare the food to Denneys. It was good for us, served the purpose and the price was just fine. The waiters and staff here are very nice, please tip them well.

I would not specifically chose to stay here again, if we did Priceline and got this place again, I would not complain....it fit the purpose, was quiet and clean.

Hope this review helps, feel free to send me a message...I have stayed in many Anaheim properties.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MissGoldenPoppy
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We went to Disneyland for one week. There was 4 adults and one 4 year old. We had booked early and got one of the four 2 bedroom and livingroom suites. The master suite had walk in closet,SPA tub and double sinks. There were three TV's though we did not have time to watch much. It was our son-in-laws birthday and I had passed that on to the staff and on the day of his birthday they came in and decorated the suite and left presents at no charge. The desk staff were helpful and the maid serverice was beyond anything we could ask for. There were lots of towels, face clothes and toiletries. They supplied towels in the pool area which was a bonus. The woman who worked as the bartender in the lounge was a great source of information, meet her ASAP for all the local info. The rooms were older but remodelled. They were clean and well kept. We brought an electric frying pan with us and took a trip to Costco, 3 miles away, and cooked some of our meals in the suite which had a microwave and bar fridge. The hotel is more than a block away from Disneyland but not more than a 12 to 15 minute walk. With young children, our grandson is 4, we brought a stroller from home. It was the best thing we could have done. We took in 3 days in Disneyland, 1 day at Universal, one day at Seaworld and one day in Santa Monica. It was a busy week but well worth the time.
We bought our "City Passes" at Costco in Bellingham Washington and flew out of Bellingham with Alligent Air and were dewlayed for 1 1/2 hours as our plane had issues so they took all our luggage and place it on another plane but it was the wrong one. They took the luggage off that plane an placed it on a third plane and finally we were allowed to board. The fare was $200.00 return per person plus baggage fees. They are a no frills airline company that charge for everything, even water, so be prepared.
We rented from Alamo at LAX. The process was fast and being behind schedule I did not really inspect the van. We found it to be dirty with coffe stains inside and on the dash and on the console. There was no washer fluid so the alarm kept going off. Little things but frustrating none the less. GPS is a must, we brought ours from home but they do offer it with the vehicle.
We did not have much time to shop other than at Disney, Universal and Seaworld. Disney, the prices varied from store to store so shop before you buy.
On the way back from Universal we stopped in Hollywood and walked Hollywood Blvd. We found a restuant called Micheli's just off the Blvd. about two blocks north of the Chinese Theatre and just east. What a place. It has been there for over 40 years and the staff were all older people and the food was excellent and reasonablly priced. The decor was right out of the fifties Italian, with a guy playing piano in the corner to the owner who wore a really bad toupe and was about 85 but the character and ambiance was grat anf the food was even better. Check this out if you go to Hollywood.
At Seaworld there is a ride that will get you soaking wet so bring some extra clothes. I didn't and it cost me $60.00 for some new ones. The same can be said for Disneyland's California Adventure Park water ride. While at Disneyland make use of the fast pass system or else you will wait forever in lines. The average height for the ride is 42 inches and our four year old grandson just made it. He went on all the rides including Space Mountain and the Hollywood Hotel Terror. There is a lot of construction in California Adventure Park but the new water show was supose to open May 28th.
It was a busy holiday but worth it. If you go for a week with kids do not expect to get a lot of rest in, enjoy the wonder through your childs eyes and emotions and that will be enough to charge your batteries for awhile. It was a great holiday.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2010

The night I get in, the power was out!We were so tired that we agreed to check in- in the dark :o) We ordered pizza n went to bed!The lights came on in the morning and we were loving how our rooms looked!Just like the pictures!And Hotwire compensated me on the inconvenience on the lights, with 75hot dollars!Sweet!Pool was wonderful, they surprised me with their towel service and ice cold water with lemon in the pool area.Very professional on the cleaning however we lost our camera in the room! Anyways, the staff was pleasant however I AM customer service and I know how to treat my customers within 10feet, and I didn't get that from them? I would definately recommend this hotel because of their cleanliness!The housekeeper did a wonderdul job in cleaning n placing things in order!Thank you!Despite the lil minor things, This was THE BEST hotel I stayed at!The Comfort Inn was great for Free breakfast AND they had a waffle maker!!!Please invest into a waffle maker and free for 16 and under!!!!

Reviewed May 19, 2010

I did a name your own price and felt very disrespected and deceived when I arrived at the hotel and was told there was and additional $11.50 in mandatory resort fees. It was not the amount that bothered me but the deception on the part of both Priceline and Holiday Inn. If my price was not high enough as is it should not have been accepted. I did not agree to these charges and was not allowed to cancel my pre-paid reservation either. I will not be doing business with Priceline or Holiday Inn again, and will encourage everyone else to do likewise. I will pay full price at a place that respects me and my business rather than get a discount with those who choose to gain business through deception.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mkweaver07
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Stayed at the HI suites in October 2009 with family group that totalled 11 in all. We chose the hotel as it advertised 2 bedroom family suites which suited our two families perfectly....Unfortunately upon arrival we were advised that our booking was for the two room suite not the two bedroom suite....there is a big difference.....the problem was that they only have 2 or 3 of these bigger rooms and guess what .....none available. We had planned to self cater in these rooms as well as they had kitchen facilites and so had to rethink our plans here as well....so our stay was a little less private than we had hoped with all of us bunked in together and the kids drawing straws as to who had to sleep on the roll out everynight... So tip No 1 .......triple check your booking....

Pros for this place...clean, reception helpful...little shop to get what you need...restaurant good food but expensive compared to elsewhere...unless you have kids under 12 ( or who look under 12!!) as they eat free. Pool good, fireworks viewing excellent in the back car park.Gas station next door sells all the basic stuff as well as beer....but no wine. We used the transit bus to Disney Land which was good, but if you have a bigger group definitely use the chaffaur service that is at the front door...it is a cheap as a taxi and he will pick up and deliver as requested...we got the big stretch limo to take us to one of the big shopping centers and back and the kids thought it was great....and only cost $30.
Too far to walk to disney ( if you are like most people and are not used to walking places). and not close to other eateries so meant that we had to all get in taxi/van and go to dinner each night....i seriously think that if i went again i would find a hotel on the road that the disney entrance is on as it is a strip filled with restaurants ( tony romas etc ) and you can easily walk to disney each day.
Cons: as mentioned above as well as make sure you put away all your stuff each day as we had packaging thrown away by maid that was not rubbish.......Kitchenettes in rooms have a small fridge, micro and coffee machine....no jug, no toaster. They have a kitchen sink with no plug...there are no cutlery, plates or anything.......we complained to reception and they gave us 4 styrofoam bowls and a couple of plastic knives and forks and said there was no kettles etc......i went to the local supermarket and bought a cheap skittle frypan and used this.

All in all if you are a family of four, kids under 12, looking for a cheaper place to stay then stay here and book a 2 room suite as there are 2 qs beds in bedroom and a fold out double sofa in the lounge room, plenty of room for you...but if you have older kids...want privacy then make sure you book the 2 bedroom suite...which has two bedrooms and the lounge room as well.....but be aware that evidently these rooms dont have any kitchen wear either ( the reception lady told us this) Good luck

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family