“Reasonably priced, close enough to walk, but 1 block??” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland)
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Anaheim
CA
“Reasonably priced, close enough to walk, but 1 block??”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

alright, so it's a holiday, you pretty much know what to expect, normal US looking hotel room, a couple beds, a flat screen TV with cable and WiFi, standard amenities. The place wasn't dirty, but it also isn't clean, I guess it's safe to say it's starting to show some age, and they appear to be doing some modernization here and there, but not in the area of the hotel I was in anyway. Still for the price (around $120 with parking), and within walking distance to the Disney park area, it's a fair deal.
Here's some of the interesting things that happened to us, both good and bad, while at this property:
The first day, both elevators worked, and they dinged at each floor, the second day, only 1 elevator worked and the dinging had stopped (we found the ding, ding at each floor kind of unique). There was no reason given for the elevator to have stopped working, just a sign saying to use the other one, at the far end of the hall, so now 6 floors were all sharing the same one, kind of a busy item at that point.
You see the "1 BLK/Disneyland" in the title up there? well they use that everywhere, only problem is, it's actually TWENTY MINUTES to walk to the main entrance to either park, and about 15 minutes to Downtown Disney, and that is for myself, a fit 30 something. I'd say that is a big stretch to claim 1 block. So if you are not in decent shape, don't plan to walk to and from each day, at least not in any sort of decent time frame.
We had a weird set up where I payed cash for one night, and then used points for nights 2-3. I called and they were good enough to ensure that I'd stay in the same room the whole time which was nice.
The restaurant had a decent breakfast that wasn't overpriced.
Allegedly you can walk 10 minutes and get to the Disney parking lot and then take the tram from there, but no one told us about this, so we walked 20 minutes each way, would have been good if they had told us this. Also, would be nice to offer a shuttle bus every 20-30 minutes, I mean that is the main reason that 95% of your guests are there to begin with, even if it just dropped off at downtown disney, it would be awesome.
back to the 1 block thing, really? 1 block? in what universe is a 20 minute walk considered 1 block?

Room Tip: there is no view, so it doesn't really matter, i'd say closer to the elevator will save you...
    • 3 of 5 stars
Tom V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland), responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. We are a 15 minute walk to the park entrance at the Monorail stop at the entrance to Downtown Disney. This entrance is for ticket holders and pass holders only so please check with our front desk as we sell 2 and 3 day park hopper passes at a discount from maingate prices. We have completely re-done our exterior and are nearly finished replacing the furniture in the rooms. In addition we are adding a Splash Zone that will be great for kids. We do hope you will come and see us again to check out our improvements.

Tom Van Winkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Ten minutes walk to the Disney carpark where you can catch the tram to the parks. Restaurant at hotel was surprisingly good and great value and we ate here nearly everyday. Pool and spa were heated which was welcome relief after long long days at the parks! Only disappointing thing was that I booked a room on the website and entered 2 adults and 3 kids. It accepted the booking but when we arrived we were told that the room only slept 4 and we could not get a foldout in the room. Luckily we were travelling with friends and were able to sleep one of our children with them.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank watts0
Thank you for your feedback! We apologize for any confusion about the number of people the room you reserved could accomodate. We do have 2 adults and 3 small children stay in the two bedded rooms often. However, if anyone needs more beds we have several one and two bedroom suites available. We hope your time in Anaheim was magical and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards,

Edmonton, AB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband, 2 kids ( 5 & 8 ) and I stayed at this hotel April 17-22 to experience Disneyland. Overall, this is a clean and family friendly hotel about a 15 min walk to Downtown Disney. There is a Shell gas station as well as a Mexican restaurant just 2 mins down the block. Convenient for picking up some last minute goodies! Like some cheap beer ;) This hotel is located in a residential area.
The front desk staff were very welcoming and friendly. My husband had upgraded us to a Double Suite. It consists of a separate living room (with a tv, sofa bed and wet bar with microwave and fridge) and a bedroom with either 2 queen beds or 1 king ( with tv and bathroom). Don't worry about the small square pillows, we are slpet fine using them. There are not many of these rooms, as they are just located in one building. So your lucky if you can get your hands on one of these! I heard they also have Family rooms that are bigger as well. We did have an issue with our fridge not working on day 2. It took a couple days and phone calls, but they did end up bringing a new one that was working! So there was a couple of evenings with no cold beverages. Kind of disappointing. Maid service was excellent though and we did tip every day.
Unfortunately, there was construction going on. Our windows were all covered in plastic, so there was nothing to look at. The workers only worked during the day, so it was no big deal since we were gone till 10pm every night. This did not affect our fabulous time!
We ate at the hotel a couple of times and found the prices were reasonable and the food decent. I loved it that kids eat free! That was a nice touch. Remember that on Wednesdays, it is Prime Rib night. Yum. Also, some of their booths in the restaurant have their own personal TV’s to watch. Great idea when you have kids to entertain. There is a souvenir shop located here with some better prices than on the Disneyland resort, just depends on what you’re looking for.
I would not hesitate to stay here again! All you complainers, just stay home! I feel that I’ve travelled enough to honestly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a double suite if your traveling with kids.
1 Thank mina1999
Thank you for choosing our hotel. We are thrilled you had a good time. We do hope to see you again. BTW-our exterior facelift is complete and the hotel looks beautiful!

Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed 2 nights while visiting the Disneyland Resort. The rooms are clean, modern and comfy. We did have a noise issue due to a very load compressor in the soft drink machine near our room, and since the hotel was completely booked we couldn't move to another room. Thankfully I had my iPad sleep machines app, which I cranked up loud enough to mask the offending noise. Great restaurant and bar made our mornings and evenings pleasant, and the staff were friendly and competent. The park is close enough for a longish walk, about .3 miles to the main gate, plus the ART shuttle makes frequent stops. I will stay there any time we visit Disney.

Room Tip: Book early and get a room far from elevator and machines
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John E
Mackay, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Before our stay here, I had read a mixture of reviews.. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. We stayed here for 3 nights in a suite with 2 Queen beds. The rooms were a good size and clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate breakfast in the restaurant each morning(very nice), and a great price. The hotel is close to Disneyland, about 10 minute walk or there is a fantastic car service Performance Travel & Tours phone: 714-745-8935 that will pick you up and take and collect you from where-ever you want to go. We used this service the whole time we stayed in Anaheim, as it was cheaper than a shuttle or taxi. If I had to complain about anything, it would be - our flight arrived at 7.00 am, and we arrived at the hotel around 10.00 am, check - in isn't until 4.00 pm... They were happy to store our luggage, but we were not able to get into our room until 4.00 pm. After a 13 hour flight, it would have been nice to be able to get into our room earlier. Apart from that, YES, my family and I will stay here again if we visit.

2 Thank Toni110
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We planned our Disney trip 15 months in advance planning for my daughters 5th birthday. We booked three rooms with Holiday Inn customer service. When we booked we needed one room with a king bed connecting to another room with two queen beds for my kids 4 and 3 and another room for the grandparents. 48 hours to our arrival I called the hotel to make sure we could get two rooms connecting. I was told that they don't have connecting rooms at this location. Going into panic mode thinking great our FAMILY vacation will be ruined my husband and I will have to split up and each take a child to sleep in different rooms every ought of our week long stay. I was near tears. But Gary at the front desk said let me work on this and ill call you back. Within an hour he had called me back with a solution to our problem. He had spent the time with the help of Jennifer the manager and got us into a suite which had two queen beds a separate living room and kitchen. It was perfect. They went above and beyond and made our trip perfect. The restaurant also has kids eat free Breakfast and dinner. We ate their every morning (my kids LOVED the Mickey Mouse pancakes). Everyone was absolutely wonderful so polite and friendly from the front desk to the maids. They were doing some construction which had me concerned because my kids take naps every day but I never heard a sound. The pool is great towels were always available and everything was very very clean. You can walk to the parks or drive, we drove with the kids but walked it a couple of times without the kids only took 5-10 minutes at the most. I would highly recommend this hotel if you Are traveling with kids (or without). The workout room has two treadmills and an elliptical machine along with weights. The only down side was I couldn't seem to get my ipad on the wi-fi in our room. My husband got on his computer fine. I know it was something that could have been figured out but I didn't put Any time into it. My parents stayed in a King room that was also vey nice. I would even say the beds and pillows were comfortable. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels over the years (I was a flight Attendant) and the beds were very nice. We will stay here again over all GREAT trip. Thanks Holiday Inn.

1 Thank mntgirl09
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

As there were 7 of us needing 3 rooms over the busy President's Day holiday weekend, we made reservations +6 months in advance and then called the hotel directly shortly before our arrival to try to book rooms together. We were told that we had 3 rooms side by side, (we were even given the room numbers), were told one room was a suite for the family of 4, and that all rooms had a view of the Disneyland Resort fireworks.

Upon arrival, not only were the three rooms we were told we had booked NOT booked, none were suites, and the staff member actually laughed saying that because of the orientation of the hotel buildings, NONE of them had a view of the fireworks. He had no idea why we had been told any of the above and had no record of the previous conversation where we thought everything had been arranged. So we do manage to be assigned 3 rooms in the same building and head off to get settled, only to find the windows completely covered with netting and scaffolding surrounding the entire side of the building. This was not acceptable to us, so we returned to the front desk. The staff that assigned the rooms had NO IDEA the building was under construction. Unreal-top notch communication. So we have to go through the room assignment process all over again. This time we get 3 rooms, 2 side by side, and one across the hall, in building 4 on the main floor. Only one of the rooms was ready, so all luggage was put into the one room and we headed over to the pool. Decent enough little pool- the cabanas are cute, but in February the small patch of sun gets smaller and smaller and pretty soon you are in full shade, which depending on the temps can be a tad chilly.

Rooms weren't ready when we told they would be. We were lucky and ran into one of the cleaning supervisors- she wasn't even told to clean my room from the last guest. More poor communication. Rooms are small but adequate. FYI- if you're promised a suite and you're not on the top floor, you're not in a suite. Lesson learned.

None of us got much sleep the first night as even though you cannot see them, you can certainly hear the fireworks. Wow- they are loud, like you're in a war zone. They actually set off car alarms and woke up children who must have been scared as they were screaming their heads off. (I could hear them above me.) My suggestion- just stay at the park. The fireworks were amazing, and you likely won't sleep through them anyways.

The onsite restaurant was actually pretty decent. It's cutely decorated with Disney characters and the service was fairly fast in the morning when you need to be in and out quickly. The breakfast buffet was a nice option, and there were decent menu choices too. (We all liked the yogurt & fruit parfait.) The staff were friendly and provided great service, from beverage refills to being seated quickly, all with a smile. Kudos to them.

I needed an airport shuttle booked so went to talk to the front desk staff, who wrote a phone number on a piece of paper and gave it to me. I have NEVER had a hotel not book the shuttle directly for me. Not a huge deal, but just illustrative of the inconsistent level of customer service at this hotel. Some staff were excellent- handing out printed Disneyland maps, providing directions, etc., and some acted like you were bothering them when you asked a simple question like when the ART shuttle was scheduled to arrive. More on that...

We were told that the shuttle "arrived when it arrived", and that is pretty much accurate. Sometimes it was 20 minutes, sometimes 30. You buy your passes in the gift shop not the front desk, so you may want to get them the night before if you're planning on an early start, as like the shuttle, the gift shop "opens when it opens".

As we had a 4 and 6 year old with us, the longest one block EVER to Disneyland the hotel claims is just not doable. I walked back on my own one day through DT Disney and the Disneyland Hotel grounds, and it's a nice walk, but after walking in the park(s) all day, it is a trek.

One recommendation if you're looking at booking a character dinner would be Goofy's Kitchen. We had it booked for the night we arrived and it could not have worked out more perfectly. As it's in the Disneyland Hotel, you don't need park passes to access it. We walked easily from the hotel down Walnut to Magic Way, and it really got us in the Disney state of mind before visiting the parks in the days that followed. The food is amazing and such a fun atmosphere.

Overall, the hotel was decent and after the initial hiccups, we did enjoy our stay. That being said it's very remote, and with that comes both good and bad. Good- quiet (with the exception of the fireworks ;-) Bad- not a lot of dining options nearby and it's a pain to get to/from the parks. Bottom line- we should have been told there was construction happening- that to me is not okay. Staff and management have a long way to go here in my not always so humble opinion. Would I stay here again, not sure- if the price was right maybe, and with older kids, but I would certainly have to weigh my options.

Room Tip: You can check in and print your boarding pass at a computer by the front desk. Terrific.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank work2travel
Tom V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Anaheim (1 BLK/Disneyland), responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. We are glad you had an overall good time while you were here but it is obvious we have some work to do in training our staff to consistntly communicate our amenities and location to our guests. I assure you we are busy improving in this area. I've let the restaurant know they did a good job.
Please feel free to call and ask for me if you should have any questions or if I can help you plan your next trip. Our exterior facelift is complete, we are nearly finished installing new furniture in all guest rooms and we are putting in a cool Splash Zone for the kids that will be complete by mid-summer.

Thanks again for helping us become better!