“Friendly and Convenient hotel for Disney visit”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #4 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed May 10, 2006

I definitely recommend this friendly and convenient hotel if you are visiting Disneyland! This was our second stay at the Candy Cane Inn and we enjoyed both visits. Service is excellent, as the front desk did everything possible to satisfy our requests and fix any problems. A special thank you to Eva!

I have also stayed at Disney's Grand Californian, which is newer and grander, but the Candy Cane Inn is just as convenient, and cheaper.

FREE SHUTTLE:
Also, this is the only hotel near Disneyland which has its very own free shuttle to Disneyland...it doesn't stop at any other hotels. A wonderful convenience! Runs every 30 minutes. Also, if you want to walk, it is a good brisk 10-minute walk to disneyland or Disney's California Adventures.

This is an older motel with exterior corridors. It has nice grounds and they have thought of many added comforts. There is a generous Continental breakfast with bagels & cream cheese, hot and cold cereals, toast, muffins or pastries, milk, juice, coffee, tea. Deluxe and premium rooms have shutters on the windows and comfty bedding.

Deluxe or Premium rooms away from the street are surprisingly quiet. (Standard rooms near the road will be noisier.) I didn't see any rooms near a freeway, by the way, although this was mentioned by a previous poster. The hotel is on a main road, but most of the rooms are set well back from the road. We had a deluxe room on our first visit and a Premium room on our second visit. I didn't hear any traffic noise on either visit from our room.

QUIET:
The hotel is mostly full of Disney visitors, who fall exhausted into bed by midnight. Therefore we found the hotel very quiet from about midnight through 7:00 am. Then in the morning when people go down for breakfast and to visit the park, you can hear people walking by your room. So if you plan on rising early to visit the disneyland park anyway, your schedule will suit the quiet hours at the Candy Cane Inn just fine. If you were hoping to sleep in late in the morning, it is noisy between 7:00 am and 9:00 am and gets quiet again past 10:00 am, when everybody has gone off to disneyland.

Rooms on the second floor are quieter than the ones on the first floor, in my opinion.

By the way I found Disney's Grand Californian to be very nice but even noisier!

SERVICE:
I applaud the service at Candy Cane Inn. On my first visit I had the misfortune to be sick on our last morning, and they were understanding about us checking out later than the deadline. On my second visit, I found our room was at the top of the stairs, and being a light sleeper, I knew this would be a problem for me. They arranged to have our luggage moved to a quieter room the next morning as soon as someone checked out. I was very grateful. Anything we asked for, they cheerfully provided.

Premium Room:
If you are wondering if the Premium room is worth the price...my answer is, it was for us. We liked having our breakfast delivered to our room at the latest time allowed (9:00 to 9:30), and having a VCR with free movies to borrow. The amenities in the premium room are nicer (like the soap), and since this was a girls' weekend for us on the second trip, we thought this was a treat.

Deluxe Room:
On our first visit we were also pleased with the deluxe room. It is bigger than the standard room. Keep in mind the rooms at the Candy Cane Inn aren't that big, so if you have more than 2 people, definitely get a deluxe or premium room.

BATHROOM:
Bathrooms were clean. Our premium room had a great shower head with plenty of water pressure.

FACILITIES:
The pools and jacuzzi are cute but small. They are best for kids in my opinion. The parking lot always has plenty of free parking for guests.

We have also stayed at various other hotels nearby disneyland. Our favorite 2 are the Candy Cane Inn and Disney's Grand Californian.

We paid $164 a night for 3 adults in the premium room at Candy Cane Inn in May, but Disney's Grand Californian was an additional $120 more per night on top of that for the same nights for the cheapest view (city view).

We have paid less at some of the other hotels nearby Candy Cane Inn, but were unhappy with their quality of breakfast, and with their overall service. One way I judge a good hotel is how they handle requests or problems. Many hotels basically tell you "Oh too bad there's nothing we can do about your problem!" But the Candy Cane Inn will come up with a solution for you, just give them a chance.

I am picky so I always have special requests. I like prefer a hotel like the Candy Cane Inn which cares about my requests.

Have a great visit!

• Stayed: May 2006
25  Thank Melissa5
There are newer reviews for Candy Cane Inn

A TripAdvisor Member
Pebble Beach, California
Reviewed May 6, 2006

Typically, we stay on-site for a Disney vacation- but in this case, we were returning from a cruise and we decided last minute to stop for a few nights before going home. I called and found the Disney hotels to be solidly booked, and remembered hearing about the Candy Cane Inn from a family friend. Fortunately, they had space.

Upon check-in, we found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They explained how the continental breakfast worked, and about the shuttle to and from Disney.

Make no mistake about it - the Candy Cane Inn is a motel. But the rooms, grounds and pool area are remarkably clean and well maintained. I was pleasantly surprised to see the room decor is very tasteful, with an updated, country-casual feel, complete with plantation shutters on the windows.
The beds were very plush (which I loved, and my husband thought was murder on his back) - and pleasantly, they give you more than enough pillows. The TV was out of the way and housed in an armoire.
The bathroom was fairly large, but I did find the bathroom amenities somewhat lacking in both quality and substance - you really aren't given enough for a family, (and by the end of our cruise, we were sorely lacking in soap, shampoo and conditioner) - but then, I'm also disappointed with the amenities at the Grand Californian...
My only real complaint was that the room is somewhat small. As I understand, they do have upgraded rooms which were booked when we arrived, but are larger, and offer other amenities such as in-room breakfast, turn down service, upgraded 'spa' bathroom amenities and free movie rentals. In my opinion, it would have been worth the extra fee, just to have more space. Another small complaint is that while the walls seem to be well insulated from the sound of your neighbors- the door and windows face out to the parking lot and you can hear ambient auto and foot traffic - particularly at night.

The continental breakfast is a nice touch - and is comparable in quality to the concierge level breakfast which is found at the Disney hotels. The food is consistently replenished - so there is plenty available, even if you don't arrive when it is first served. My only complaint would be that it isn't available to late risers, (I forget what time they stop serving, but it seemed rather early) and there aren't enough tables for families if you wish to sit by the pool.

I found the shuttle to be MORE convenient (there is a lot less walking) than the monorail for the Disney hotels. It really makes a difference at the end of a long day on your feet. The shuttles were reliably on-time and the drivers were friendly. Part of the reason I've always loved the Disney hotels is the ability to (somewhat) easily take cranky children back to the hotel in the middle of the day for a nap. In truth, I've found that it is just as convenient to hop a hotel shuttle.

I can't speak to the pool and fitness rooms, which we didn't use this trip - but the pool did seem very clean and there is a wading pool for small children. However, my children far prefer the Neverland Pool at the Disneyland Hotel. If you're planning on spending a lot of pool time, consider a Disney hotel, as you can "stay at one, and play at all three".

In summary, as a person who is somewhat hard to please in terms of accommodations - I can honestly say that if you're looking for a pleasant (and certainly cost effective) place to stay outside the Disney property, I found the Candy Cane Inn to be very worthwhile alternative.

• Stayed: November 2005
26  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2006

Stayed at the Candy Cane from 14th-24th April, & was very pleased with everything the hotel had to offer.
The room was clean & tidy, with a decent sized bathroom, powershower & hairdryer.
The towels & all linen were changed daily.
Continential breakfast was included in the price of the accommodation. This was fresh fruit, Cereal, Toast, pastries & Bagels, with Tea, Coffee & Jucies.
The hotel reception staff provided a very friendly service & helped us out with several queries.
A two minute walk from the hotel brings you to the 7/11 & a mini market. Great for topping up supplies.
Also across the street is a bus stop.
I would very definately recommend this hotel & would for sure, stay there again.
BRAVO CANDY CANE INN.

• Stayed: April 2006
17  Thank 600wkm
Reviewed April 30, 2006

we were very disappointed when we arrived for a 4 night stay, as we had been allocated a room down a gloomy corridor, near a boiler room and adjacent to the freeway.

we asked to be moved, but was advised the only rooms available were in similar positions close to the freeway. we took room 190 as it was 1 more room away from the boiler room, but this had a dreadful smell in it. however, the smell was preferable to the noise from the boiler room.

at reception they advised they could move us the following day for the rest of our stay as the motel was then 1/2 empty. we asked them what room it would be, but they couldn't tell us until the following day.

after breakfast the next day we asked again, to be told they didn't know what room it would be until later in the day. so we asked for a quiet room as far away from the freeway as possible, preferably on the 2nd floor, and we went out for the day.

we returned at 7pm to make sure everything was OK, to find they had given us a room directly over the laundry. the room virtually shook with the vibrations from the machines underneath.

we requested another move and we were given 2 further rooms to choose from, apparently the last 2 rooms available, and we chose one on the 1st floor away from the freeway, but it was near the vending machines.

the rest of the stay was acceptable, although we were lucky that the weather wasn't too hot, as the air con in the room was incredibly noisy, so we left it off.

the candy cane inn is a good value motel, if you get a room away from the freeway, the boiler rooms and the laundry room.

i was disappointed that we were offered a sub-standard room on the 1st night, and although we booked 4 nights in a deluxe, I believe the room on the first night was a standard room.

the first night and subsequent problems allocating us a quiet room in a 1/2 empty motel marred what would have otherwise been a pleasant stay. for this reason i could not recommend the motel.

• Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank GerrardFamily
A TripAdvisor Member
Anaheim, CA
Reviewed April 30, 2006

This is a great motel. Some of the things that I really liked about the Candy Cane Inn are:

1. The proximity to Disneyland - Easy walking distance.
2. The free Candy Cane Inn shuttle that runs to and from Disneyland every 1/2 hour.
3. The rooms seemed nice and clean
4. A decent breakfast provided

What I didn't like:

1. It is a motel so you have people walking in front of your window at all hours.
2. It was hard to find somewhere to sit and eat breakfast

All in all this is a great place for familes going to Disneyland. The price is right, the rooms are clean, the shuttle and breakfast are great.

• Stayed: December 2005
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 30, 2006

We were unsure of where to stay in Disney and based our choice on Tripadvisor's rating and were not dissappointed. I am in the Hospitality Industry and am fairly pickey and was really pleased with the properties "lush"feeling with the beautiful landscaping and its proximity to Disneyland. They provide a shuttle to and from the resort that runs twice an hour that provides a great relief to tired feet at the end of the day, although we did walk once with our 4 year old in tow and it took us only about 10 minutes to get back to the hotel, including a stop at the traffic light. There is a convenience store located next door which was a bonus. The pool was refreshing and the continental breakfast, served in the common room as well as pool side, was perfect to get our day started. We would definately select this hotel again.

17  Thank The Great Debalina
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Just got back from a 6 night stay at the Candy Cane Inn. Will stay here again!!! My husband even gives my 18 year old daughter permission to come back and stay with some friends he feels they would be very safe here. It is 5 to 10 minute walk to Disneyland and you only cross one street to get to main entrance. Rooms where very clean and staff was friendly. Breakfast in the morning was busy but kept well stocked and food area was wiped down every few minutes and kept clean. Beds where wonderful upon returning home husband said we need better matteress. Subway across street, loved Mimi's about 15 minute walk away, Tony Roma 10 minute walk. All and all great trip

19  Thank scgilfill