“A very nice stay”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #6 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed July 15, 2004

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Candy Cane Inn last week.

We are a family of 5 (kids are 1, almost 3 and 10 years old). We booked a premium room and had ample room for all of us, 2 small strollers and a port-a-crib without feeling cramped.

Our room had 2 Queen size beds that were oh, so comfy! A fridge, microwave, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, vcr, coffee maker (with grinder, coffee and cookies). Not a lot of drawer space, but we got by.

Our room was located on the ground floor, was very clean with no signs of wear and tear aside from a few cracked tiles in the bathroom. There was a bit of an 'old' smell at first, but the motel (and it is a motel, parking outside your door) was built a long time ago, so I expected that. We had no problem with mold, dirty carpets or anything else. I had no qualms about letting my kids sit and play on the carpet.

We didn't hear any noise from the parking lot or other rooms. We could see most of the DL fireworks show from the upper walkway that faces the park.

The grounds of the motel are very well kept, pretty flowers, ivy and plants abound. The gardners were everywhere and not once was a blower going--they use water and brooms to keep everything clean. It is truly well cared for.

The main pool is not a large pool, but, again, it is a small motel, and it is attractive and in great condition, as is the hot tub and seperate, gated toddler pool. (main pool is heated, toddler pool is not). The chairs are all in great shape, and plenty of towels were available.

Breakfast was delivered to our room in a basket-same offerings at the pool-cereal, milk, small muffins, bagels, fruit, coffee, tea and milk. It wasn't a huge meal, but enough to get us going until lunchtime. Bagels with cream cheese much better than the muffins.

Our premium room also had turndown service--it was nice to have fresh towels to return to.

The staff was very polite and helpful. The shuttle is great, and had no problems with any of the drivers leaving at the wrong time. I think one of the BEST things about staying at the Candy Cane is the fact the hotel operates the shuttle, so you only go to/from the parks--no stops at other hotels. That is priceless at the end of a long day. The walk into the Disneyland Resort area was an easy 5 minutes or so.

We booked a AAA rate ($119), and had no problem because we had our AAA card. I have always had to show my AAA card for the rate to be honored, otherwise a non-member could book the rate, so what is the point of discount just for members? I don't see a hotel that enforces policy as a bad.

In summary, we'd stay there again. Keep in mind it is a motel, not a full service resort. But it is a beautiful, friendly and well cared for motel. Compared to the other motels in the area, the Candy Cane is 'Ears and Tails' above the rest.

I'd absoultly reccommend someone to stay there.

2  Thank Cali
Write a ReviewReviews (2,834)

Reviewed July 13, 2004

This hotel was NOT what was advertised. First, they did not honor our AAA rate because we didn't bring our card (we were not instructed to). The staff was unimpressive. The grounds were bland. The tiny "pool" was full when only a few people were inside. I felt like I was in a Motel 8. While you were in your room, you could hear cars pull into their parking space (because the rooms were in the parking area). The rooms were horribly insulated. I heard my upstairs neighbors walking, running, showering, talking,etc. I phoned the front front desk to request that the child upstairs stop running back and forth (he had done this till 12:00 a.m. and started back up at 7:00 a.m.). They put me on hold for 10 minutes (I finally hung up) and they never phoned me back or made the kid stop running. The room was small (Premier Room). There was only 1 window facing the parking lot. The "queen" beds were actually doubles. There was mold all over the shower area. Smelled like smoke in the closet (I guess from next door) although we were in a non-smoking room. Several guests on our shuttle complained about weird smells in their rooms (pee and carpet cleaning product for a large wet stain). But worst of all, the beds were SO uncomfortable. My husband and I had backaches our entire stay. I cannot believe that this hotel calls itself a "boutique hotel". I have stayed at many boutique hotels, and this hotel is not in that category (more in the Motel 8 caliber). I travel all the time (for business and pleasure) and have not stayed at such a horrible hotel in recent memory. BEWARE!

12  Thank YKPPortland_OR
A TripAdvisor Member
Haleiwa, Hawaii
Reviewed July 12, 2004

Stayed from june 22-26. Our flight arrived early and we were able to check in early and get a few more hours sleep. At the time I was six months pregnant traveling with my teeanage girls. Had a premium room which solves the breakfast problems others were talking about because it is delivered to your room. Nice clean laundry. My husband flew over on 26th and was able to go to the park with our girls for a half day.The 10 minutes walk to the park is great. Check out was at two and that was great. Will come again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 10, 2004

Just returned from a 5 night stay .
Great place to stay in. very clean, beautifull property.Recomending it to everyone.

A TripAdvisor Member
Great Falls, MT
Reviewed July 7, 2004

I have stayed there acouple of times. It usely is a great place to stay, but this year it was not as good. With the Asst. Manager gone(Mr. R.) the place was not the same. He was always on top of everything. We had set a date and time to go on a limo ride to a very nice dinner place. When it was time to go the limo was not there and they hurried to make up for it by blaming the dinner place. They lied to us about making the reservation. It was very easy to tell that they had not called the dinner place. Just the way they were acting and looking for the slip of our time and day that we were to go. I also had stopped by twice to make sure that everything was still a go. As for rooms and price I still feel you can not beat it for very nice rooms and very close to Disney.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2004

My family stayed here on our vacation to Disneyland the week of June 18, 2004. The exterior of the hotel is beautifully landscaped as it is lined in flowers. My group required two rooms. We requested the rooms together on the first floor and near the pool. We recieved every request. The rooms were immaculate and the staff was extremely friendly. The breakfast was plentiful and really saved us time and money. The pool/hotub was clean and well kept. The location was perfect (only a five minute walk to Disneyland). All of this at an extremely good rate. The day we checked out, our flight was late that night. The hotel gave us a pass to use the shuttle to the park and allowed us to leave our car parked at the hotel until we were ready to leave. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone.

1  Thank David L
Reviewed June 27, 2004

What a wonderful hotel!!!!! Just came home from a 8 day stay June 19- June 27th. The staff was friendly and accomadating. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The pool was open for long hours which allowed the children for a quick dip in the evening. If we were back in time we could see the fireworks from the hotel. As mentionioned in previous reviews, Disney was just a short walk away. Although we did not use the shuttle, we did notice that it was there for those who required it. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. If we come back we WILL use this facility again!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2005