“Some Pros, some Cons, "Average" all in all.”
Review of Candy Cane Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Candy Cane Inn
Ranked #5 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Gatineau, Canada
“Some Pros, some Cons, "Average" all in all.”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Candy Cane Inn for three nights, on August 2012.
We're a family of 4 (dad, mom, 11yo son, and 8yo daughter).
The purpose of our trip was to visit Disneyland, of course.

Here's our pros and cons of this hotel. We haven't stayed to other hotels in the area.

Pros:
- So close to Disneyland!
- Shuttle to Disneyland is very efficient and convenient.
- Grounds and rooms are well maintained.
- Great value for the price, considering the rate includes the breakfast, the parking, and wifi.
- All members of the staff we intereacted with were efficent and professional.

Cons:
- Beds have definitely seen better days.
- Very noisy A/C, right beside one of the bed.
- I'd rate the breakfast "average" at most.
- Very old "motel" design; don't put your expectation too high.

All in all, the Candy Cane Inn is a good option, but I think we would look elsewhere if we ever return to the Disneyland area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank ZePYC
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. Guest’s comments enable us to evaluate and make changes that will better serve future travelers and we do appreciate you taking the time to share with us. Our mattresses are a double pillow top Serta Presidential Suite and while we receive many positive comments may be a bit softer than a traditional mattress. I sincerely apologize that our American style motel with exterior corridors was not up to your expectations however, I do appreciate your positive comments. Kind regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Benicia, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I only stayed one night and didn't take advantage of all the amenities, but I was fairly impressed with the hotel and its hospitality staff.

Bryan checked me in on Saturday, August 25th. He was very professional and efficient. I was given a room on the second floor, as had been my preference. The room was nicely furnished and clean.

There were only two minor issues. The first was with the coffee maker. A tube had been dislodged on one end. When I turned it on, the water was furiously bubbling in the chamber, but wasn't coming out of the machine. I opened up the lid, saw the problem, and fixed it. To their credit, this is something the housekeeping staff would not normally put on their checklist. The second concern was the weak WiFi. When I asked Erik, he said that the signal could be boosted. I told him it wasn't a big issue and thanked him. I did, however, mention that WiFi networks without passwords are vulnerable -- even those that are not strong enough to be broadcast outside of the property. This is something that should be considered by management.

The grounds are lovely and tranquil. I was amazed that despite the exterior corridors, I never heard other guest walking past. It may have been that the hotel was not fully booked. There was a bit of traffic noise on South Harbor Boulevard, but it didn't bother me. I especially loved the free shuttle to Disneyland, although the walk was only 8-10 minutes. The value for the price was excellent. I would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: Book a room towards the back (West side) if you don't want to hear the traffic on South Harbor B...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank twillis591
Thank you for allowing us the opportunity on your recent visit and I DO appreciate your comments. We do listen to our guest and I am meeting with an internet company this week to discuss our hardware and system enhancements and I will certainly bring up your input. Thank you again for the comments and we do aspire to budget minded with a strong emphasis on exceptional quality and guest service. Kind regards!
San Diego
Reviewed August 26, 2012

our last review was December 11, 2011 and we recently stayed at the Candy Cane Inn again. This time we enjoyed 3 features that we didn't use as much last time
- the WiFi network,
- the 2 pools and jacuzzi to take a rest from DLand in the hot afternoon,
- the shuttle service.

Happy to report everything worked out great. No problems with internet access, pools were much appreciated by the kids, bus service very convenient and easy.

Staff was wonderful as usual, fellow guests happy and helpful to share conversations/information, breakfasts really good, etc.

We'll be coming back again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank DRD
Thank you for staying with us again and I am delighted that you had so much fun and will be coming back again. Please feel free to contact me personally when returning as it would be my pleasure to assist with rates and reservations. Kind regards!
Burbank, California
Reviewed August 23, 2012

If you are going to Disneyland this place is a must stay. The price can't be beat and the rooms are comfortable and clean. They offer pack and play's for ones with little ones and free breakfast! When we stay we do the upgraded room where they deliver breakfast to you, its nothing fancy donuts, oatmeal, tea, coffee, bagels and the like, but to have it delivered to my room and not have to get up at 7am to fight the crowd it is awesome! The rooms are also slightly larger they say and they are towards the back of the hotel.

We never heard anyone else and slept comfortably. The best part of course is the short walk to Disneyland. We love loading up our stroller and walking. Most of the time when we leave at night one or both of the kids are sleeping and there is nothing worse than waking them up to fold the stroller up to get on a tram. Take my advice and dont bother looking elsewhere, this place is the best.

Room Tip: Premium is worth it for the delivered breakfast, if breakfast is not important to you save the money...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank msalus
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for being a loyal and repeat Candy Cane Inn guest, we DO appreciate your business and comments shared with fellow travelers. Yes, our Premium Rooms do off those added amenities that many enjoy and once experience do reserve for future visits. Kind regards!
Livermore, CA
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Let me start with a caveat: This has always been one of my favorite places within walkable distance to Disneyland. It's a pretty property with lovely grounds, usually has good deals (comparatively) and has perks that a lot of the other motel-style places nearby do not. (free breakfast with quality food, free parking, a free Disneyland shuttle bus) We've stayed there many times and have always been satisfied.

This time was a little different. It seems like the place is going downhill ever so slightly--not enough for me to give up on it, but enough to keep an eye on it over the next few trips. I would give it a 3.5 if I could have... The breakfast food is not quite as good as it has been in the past, the rooms (although they had a slight re-model a few years ago) are looking a little worn, and there were several problems on this trip.

First of all, our safe didn't work. I called the front desk, and to their credit, they sent someone RIGHT up to fix it. Then the wireless internet didn't work. They said they couldn't completely fix it because one of the places where they have to "re-set" it is in a guest room and it was too late at night to bother the guests, but that they'd try re-setting in this other place in the meantime (whatever THAT means.) It didn't work. The next morning, it still didn't work, but when I called down to the front desk, they said the same thing except that it was "too early" to bother the guests in the room. So, I had to go down to the outdoor eating area (which is very lovely by the way) and use internet there. I tried again that night--same story (and then again the next morning, night and following morning) I never did get internet to work in my room, and even had trouble with it the last morning when I used it down in the eating area and had to go have them "re-set" it for there.

There was also a problem with the bathroom outlet when I used my blow dryer. It went out and there was no "re-set" button on it. I tried the re-set button on my blow dryer, and the one on THEIR blow dryer--no luck. And my smoke alarm kept beeping intermittently during all of this. So I called the front desk and they said they'd send someone up. (also told them about the internet at this point) Then my blow dryer suddenly started working again, and the smoke detector stopped beeping, so I immediately called the front desk and told them NOT to send someone up, and I put on my pajamas and continued to blow dry my hair. After about 3 minutes, the maintenance man just WALKED IN. I assume he may have tried to knock and I didn't hear it, but there I was in my little nightgown. Anyway, it all worked out.

I must say I'm impressed at how quickly they dealt with every problem (except the internet) and how kind the front desk people were each time. The service was good. As long as that stays true, I will continue to stay here.

As far as the cleanliness of the hotel goes, I would say it was good. They even cleaned the carpets one day of my stay. I noticed this because they were a little damp after the maid finished. And the bus service to Disneyland and the free shuttle and free parking are definitely good perks. Beds are comfortable, and the room is well-stocked.

The breakfast used to be a lot better, but the place still has one of the better continental breakfasts around. (toast, bagels, muffins, croissants, cereal, yogurt, bananas, apples, milk, juice, coffee, and hot chocolate) The hours for it could be expanded however (it's from 7-9 am) to fit into the Disney schedule, particularly in the summer. It would be nice if it started at 6 or 6:30 and maybe went until 9:30 or 10:00.

I don't want to give The Candy Cane Inn a bad review, since it still is a nice motel-style, affordable family place to stay. But I do want to caution those who NEED to have internet service, and I'm watching to see if the place continues to improve things as the theme park grows and prices continue to rise.

Room Tip: There are three types of rooms: standard (two queens and smallish), deluxe (two queens and a little...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
13 Thank Terri M
CandyCaneInn, General Manager at Candy Cane Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for continuing to be a loyal guest and I do appreciate your comments and I am sincerely sorry for any inconvenience you encountered. We continue to enhance the WIFI and have even a direct feed dedicated fiber line to our property and are currently working with iBAHN to further improve connectivity. In regards to our Expanded Continental Breakfast we have not changed any purveyors and continue to receive fresh fruits and baked goods daily. Again please feel free to contact when you are returning as I would be delighted to assist with rates and reservations and have the internet hardware checked. Kind regards!
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just booked our third stay at the Candy Cane Inn for October! We have stayed at numerous hotels near Disneyland and never stayed at the Candy Cane Inn until this March. The hotel and grounds are always clean and well maintained. The rooms are comfortable and the AC is really quiet. The shuttle is convenient, but not necessary because the hotel is really close to the main entrance. The breakfast area is well stocked with great choices and plenty of seating around the pool. Great value! This is definitely our new favorite place to stay in Anaheim!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jennifer J
Thank you for booking your repeat visit and please feel free to contact me personally if I may be of further assistance for rates and reservations in the future as it would be my pleasure. Warm regards!
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

3 minute walk to Disney - though if you really feel that's too far, there is a free shuttle revelry 15 minutes or so! Stayed for 4 days in August. Rooms were very clean, complete with fridge and safe. Continental breakfast was as expected and served daily by the pool. Very nice, family orientated environment. There is even a splash pool for toddlers separate from the main pool. Loved it and wish we'd booked it the second time around!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Wayne R
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments with fellow TripAdvisor travelers. Yes, the little ones enjoy the kiddie pool and it is heated year around. Kind regards!