“Not impressed in the least”
Review of The Anabella

The Anabella
Ranked #54 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver
“Not impressed in the least”
Reviewed December 3, 2006

All in all it was 'OK' but I wouldn't return to the Anabella. It was our first trip to Disneyland and the Anabella offered a great deal however it's not worth the money we paid at all and we didn't pay alot. We were put into room 6206 and I wasn't happy with it in the least. it's definetly not shown in any of the pictures in this site or the hotels. Much Much OLDER. We arrived at 7pm in the evening and check in was prompt and friendly. We went to our room and found it was clean and nice, however the walls are paper thin. We were kept awake all evening by our neighbours, the people above the people below and well just about anyone who was walking outside. There was absolutely NO PRIVACY, infact I heard every word of my neighbours cell phone conversation. I complained about it but no one called back to ensure the noise was taken care of. It wasn't but we just tolerated.
The ventalation system in that room needs some serious work. We had to keep the bathroom fan on at all times due to the bathroom odors of other rooms. Yes you know what I mean. It's bad enough with your own family but that is just nasty. The last two days of our stay we ensured we were out and didn't have to stay in the room.

We went to go shopping at the block and asked the concierge how we should get there...he suggested a cab. We were told shopping hours were from 9-9 daily however the sign on the doors clearly indicated 10am, so of course we arrived 1 hour early. With two children in tow it's not ideal waiting around for an hour. We were also told that Best Buy was only 1 block from the shopping center. Infact it was about 5. Again not information that I would expect from a hotel or a walk I want to do with two children.

oH YEAH!!! Their write up says they are right beside the Theme park, but it's a bit of a walk and you need the shuttle for sure if you have children. The theme park is really big so yes it's beside but it's very misleading.

In any case...I definitely would spend the little extra $$ next time for the Hilton or the Californian.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — All of the abover
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Tdawg22
pfrechette, Assistant General Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, December 7, 2006
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for responding to your past stay at the Anabella Hotel. I am so sorry for the issues you had with us. I am embarrased that our concierge staff gave you the wrong information regarding the Block hours. I have drafted a training memo to all my concierges to make sure and verify ALL attraction hours before giving our guests information. As for the room issues, I apologize for not meeting your expectations. In the future, if your are not satisfied with your room, please give us the opportunity to change your room and make things better. In your case we could have offered an upgrade for no charge. We strive to make things the best we can with every guest. I sure hope you will take the time to contact me via e-mail, so we can discuss this further. Again, my deepest apologies and hope to hear from you soon.

Hotel Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fareham
Reviewed November 30, 2006

The room had everything you could want. Friendly staff and as near to Disney as you could be.

• Liked — The robes and Slippers
  • Disliked — Coffee but no tea
  • Tips/Secrets — Take your own tea and buy some proper milk
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed November 24, 2006

My friend and I stayed here for the AARP convention. The convention center was within easy walking distance and Disneyland was right across the street. We wanted separate rooms and were given adjoining rooms on the first floor. I had read that this hotel might be noisier than usual so I took ear plugs, but didn't need them. We were not bothered by noise from other guests at all. Our rooms were on the Katella Avenue side, so there was some traffic noise, but nothing that was truly annoying. The rooms were clean and all fixtures were working. The in-room safes were a convenience, as were the little refrigerators. Food in the hotel's restaurant, Tangerine, were excellent and service was very good. Other places nearby to eat were Coco's and Tiffy's. At times the other restaurants had lines waiting, and we just went back to the hotel for dinner. The meals were so good, and no waiting!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
Parsippany, NJ
Reviewed November 2, 2006

The Anabella was one of the AARP preferred hotels being booked by them for the convention in Anaheim Oct 26-28. The cost was $99 plus tax, and for that price it was a good value. They providedd bell services and responded quickly and pleasantly to any requests for extra coffee, etc. The room was clean and had no musty smell, which I find occurs often even in beetter hotels. The bathroom and vanity area were large, and the closets and dresser space were enourmous! We had a double/double and there were 9 large drawers.

My complaint about the bathroom was that the towel bar was more than 2 feet from the tub/shower, so the only way to dry off a bit without stepping completely out of the tub was to hang the towel over the curtain rod. The quality and supply of towels was great, though.

The restaurant was pricey, but the food was good. And there are several inexpensive places to eat within close walking distance.

• Liked — Friendly service, location
  • Disliked — parked in distant lot when hotel was full
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank CMCNJ
pfrechette, Assistant General Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, November 11, 2006
Dear Appreciated Guest,

Thank you for posting a response regarding your recent stay at The Anabella Hotel. We pride ourselves on assuring that every guest has a memorable stay with us. We were excited to hear about your pleasurable experience and we appreciate your comments. I can assure you that we will be checking on the towel bar issue for the shower. Hopefully the next time you come to the Anaheim Resort area, you will choose to stay with us once again.

A sincere thank you from our entire team.

Pasadena ca
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We have always stayed at the Disney resort hotels, but visit so frequently that we wanted to find another hotel that might better suit our need for a separate sleeping area for our child (a suite), yet be close enought to the resort, and maybe a little less expensive.

The Anabella met our expectations, especially for the price ($89 for a Jr. suite not including taxes). Many hotels charge for parking, they do not. The hotel staff was perfectly friendly and helpful; our room was tainted with the smell of cigarette smoke and they graciously moved us with no problem. The decor was very nice with granite bathroom and dressing area as well as coffee maker and cold mini fridge.Beds and linens were excellent. Sitting area in the suite could be improved with furniture placement, it needs more of a sitting area in front of the television, and it was smaller than I expected.

The most important thing I would say about the Anabella is that we waited for about a half hour every time we took the shuttle from the restaurant next door (Tiffy's, a greasy spoon at it's worst, no fresh fruit or spinach on the menu, nice ladies who work there, however ) and waited also about a half hour to come back to the nice hotel.What a waste of time especially with a three year old trying to keep still waiting for the trolley shuttle; Katella is very busy and the stop is three feet from the street.

The Candy Cane Inn has it's own shuttle service with a SCHEDULE so you can plan and is a bit more expensive but we decided waiting for thirty minutes to catch a shuttle was unnerving with a toddler and you want to get to the park.That has the nice amenties and general atmosphere that we liked at the Anabella.Also right next door is an ABC general store so you can buy whatever you need when the hotel is closed (we needed milk and my husband wanted a coke).

• Liked — the granite bathroom, the refridgerator, the parking next to the room, the suite, the comfortable beds
  • Disliked — waiting for the trolley to get to disney; we waited a half hour every time, not fun with kids anxious to get to Disneyland
  • Tips/Secrets — Not for travelers, but for the hotel; get your own shuttle, we would be back in a heartbeat, or get a schedule for the shuttle
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank Fussy Mommy
pfrechette, Assistant General Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, November 6, 2006
Dear Appreciated Guest,

Thank you for posting a response regarding your recent stay at The Anabella Hotel. We pride ourselves on assuring that every guest has a memorable stay with us. We were excited to hear about your pleasurable experience and we appreciate your comments. I am terribly sorry for your experience with the Disneyland Resort shuttle. Unfortunately, most of the Hotels in the area are now using the Disneyland transit, which is recommended to use by Disneyland resort officials. I hope it did not ruin your Hotel experience. Hopefully the next time you come to the Anaheim Resort area, you will choose to stay with us once again.

A sincere thank you from our entire team.

Sydney
Reviewed October 23, 2006

My husband, myself and our 9 year old daughter recently stayed at the Anabella for 8 nights. We had originally booked a queen suite but changed to a junior suite, (weeks before leaving Australia), which proved to have a better lay out when travelling with a child. Upon arrival we sought an upgrade to a Club Anabella room (as we were concerned about the quality of our room having read some negative reviews) but were told none were available.

Overall I found the Anabella a good place to come back to after a long hard day at the Disney parks. We walked to Downtown Disney then on to the parks in around 7-10 mins taking the shortcut through Disney's Grand Californian Hotel. It was a lovely walk via manicured gardens and pretty fairy lights at night.

We ate breakfast daily at the hotel and found the food to be of good quality/value and generous portions. Following other reviews we checked out Jiffy's next door but preferred the food at the hotel. We also had a lunch and a dinner at the hotel and found the food of equal standard. If you prefer you can have your meals on the terrace by the pool which is very relaxing. We also had several meals at restaurants in Downtown Disney which were all quite good. Our daughter particularly loved eating at the Rainforest Cafe.

Beware if you have a package that offers that children eat free at the Anabella restaurant as restaurant staff were unhelpful and consequently refused to acknowledge this aspect of our prepaid voucher on two occasions.

Whilst the room was clean, the walls are thin, the decor is dated and the furntiture and carpets are worn and stained. I would not recommend staying in the wing we stayed in (the San Miguel) as it backed onto the Convention Centre's truck car park which is noisy 24/7. We overcame the noise by shutting all windows on that side of the room and even the bathroom door when required.

Our A/C only seemed to work on full blast however as we were out for most of the day, and October is not very hot, we just didn't bother with it.

We found the staff helpful and efficient and would consider staying staying there again but would book a Club Anabella room next time.

• Liked — Location and quality of the food
  • Disliked — Dated decor and noise from Convention Centre
  • Tips/Secrets — Short cut through Grand Californian Hotel to Downtown Disney and Parks
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank USA1stTIME
pfrechette, Assistant General Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, November 1, 2006
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Anabella. We sure hope you enjoyed your first trip to Disneyland. We hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for the business and take care.
Utah
Reviewed October 22, 2006

We got the room through a dicounter, so obviously I didn't expect the grand suite. We ended up with a room in the very back of the property next to the convention center on the top floor of the only part of the hotel with three levels.

All night the first night I was up because the temsters were loading stuff into the convention center probably for the next day.

The next day was president's day and so the hotel staff was unclear if the shuttle to Disney was even running and they did not have an up to date shuttle schedule. It ended up I had to call the shuttle service myself to get the info which they charged me $3 to do.

When I told the manager that it was not right to charge me for it she argued with me and basically called me a liar in front of the other guests and employees.

Overall my experience was not what I expected. I would not stay here again and not reccomend it.

• Liked — Price.
  • Disliked — The staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — Get the front desk/concierge to get shuttle info for you.
  • Stayed February 2004, traveled with family
7 Thank wallofvoodoo
I am so sorry for the problems you experienced during your stay at the Anabella. We pride ourselves in making people feel at home during your stay. In your case we failed. I would like to remedy the issue with the Disney shuttle. Do you possibly remember the name of the employee and manager you were dealing with? I would like to address the situation directly with them. Again, I am so sorry for the miscommunication at the desk. Please e-mail me with any additional concerns. Thank you so much for staying with us.