“Nice room but bad service”
Review of The Anabella

The Anabella
Ranked #54 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in an upgraded room and the room was great except the heater/ac made a horrible noise that sounded like a drum roll. It was very annoying in the middle of the night. Service was all around bad. Parking was more expensive at the hotel than the park! The reservation was wrong and they had us in one room one night and another for the next night. Luckily they fixed that. We tried to eat in the resteraunt at 8pm on Sunday. We waited at a table for over an hour with only a greeting a promise to serve us soon. They never came back. The jacuzzi was literally packed with very young children so there was no relaxing there. The next day we came back from the park at 11am to find housekeeping never came. When I tod the front desk about it. They said "sometimes that happens". I've never had that happen in a hotel before. Frankly I will never stay there again and do not recommend it to anyone. Spend a bit more and stay at paradise pier or Disneyland hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
AnabellaManager, Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear E_Owen1981,

I am sorry that our hotel was not to your taste. Being an independent boutique hotel we strive to offer a personalized touch that reminds many of our guests of home. To compare us to our Disney counterparts is difficult to do. We offer a completely different atmosphere and ambiance. The Anabella Hotel does offer competitive rates, comfortable beds, 14 different room types, and beautiful grounds to enjoy during your time away from the park.

Being in such close proximity to the Anaheim Convention Center, Disneyland, & California Adventure many of travelers choose to leave their car at the hotel and walk to these locations. Our $14 parking fee per night allows our guests to leave their vehicles on the premises during the entire duration of their reservation. The park currently advertises a $15 charge during hours of operation, just to clarify.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your dining and housekeeping service. I am beside myself as I do not understand how these things could have happened. Our housekeeping service is performed daily to all occupied rooms unless a “Do Not Disturb” sign is posted on the front door. If at any point this was the case we require notification when service is needed. I know our Tangerine Bar & Grill has been extremely busy with our weekend “Citrus Nights.” We will double our efforts to ensure all of our patrons are greeted and served efficiently to prevent this from ever happening again.

Your comments have been a valuable training tool for us to improve. We will never give up our pursuit to perfection. Our goal is to provide high quality service, accommodation, value, in the most picturesque hotel in Anaheim.

Kind Regards,
Brandon Jemison
Assistant Front Desk Manger
714-905-1050

Write a ReviewReviews (3,242)

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The refrigerator/freezer didn't work so our ice cream melted, the GFCI would not reset (everything we thought would be charged the next day was still dead) and the bathtub wouldn't drain properly. Bar service was terrible. I asked the front desk to refill the pool towels at 9:30 pm so I wouldn't have to freeze on my return to the room and they never showed. The final day of our stay, breakfast waiter service was rude, slow and poor quality, so I spoke to the Assistant Food Service Manager and calmly explained what happened. She said she'd make sure to send some "muffins and goodies" to the airport with us to try to make up for everything that happened. Guess what? Didn't happen. When I called her from the airport, she tried to tell me, "I tried to get you a partial refund, but you booked through a third party, Blah blah blah". WHAT?? That's not what you said you were going to do! I don't care about $5.00 worth of muffins, but I DO care about management doing what they SAY they're going to do.

Then the taxi arrives for our return to the airport. Strangely, this "standardized rate" is $10.00 more than the standardized rate FROM the airport! Why not just tell me, "We're going to charge you ten dollars to pick up the phone and order you a cab!! I spoke to the "management" about these issues as well and all I got was double speak. Please, don't treat me like an idiot. For everything that went wrong, no effort was made to make things right. Plus, it might be "across the street" from Disneyland, but it's almost a mile to go around to the main entrance, so "STAY AWAY" and take a shuttle. You'll do far less walking. The ONE bright spot was Samm, the waitress. What a lovely young lady. Thank you, Samm! I will NEVER return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Mike V
AnabellaManager, Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Mike V,

I would like to start by apologizing for the poor service you received during your stay. The lack of follow up you received is alarming. We understand that sometimes things happen but prompt, quick, and efficient service is a bare minimum request. From your refrigerator failure, shower drainage, to your restaurant experience, and finally an inadequate explanation for a cab fare; we fell short. However, your positive comments of Samm were nice to hear. She is an asset to this hotel. Her friendliness and demeanor should set the bar for the rest of our team to follow.

All of the comments you’ve shared have been forwarded to the appropriate Department Heads for review. We will continue to work hard and improve our overall service quality. My maintenance staff has gone through your room and inspected all of the outstanding issues you have mentioned and corrected them. I know this is of no concern to you at this point but I want to thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Mike V, I feel that there were several opportunities to turn your stay around but due to poor follow up the opportunity was missed while here. I would like to speak with you personally to see what can be done to earn your loyalty. I truly feel that we have a great hotel and the personnel to exceed your expectations. Please let me know the best way to communicate with your directly.

Kind Regards,
Brandon Jemison
Assistant Front Desk Manager

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here in November and found the property nice. The rooms were very clean and beds were comfy. Location is about 15 minute walk to downtown Disney. Staff was friendly and helpful. Food at the on site restaurant was a bit pricey. Parking is free and a bus stop is conveniently located just steps from the entrance. The family pool area is beautifully adorned with lush plants and kept very clean. Small gym is also available on this property.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AnabellaManager, Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear SHAUNA S,
Thank you for sharing your positive experience at The Anabella on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear we could provide you with a comfortable stay and that you found our staff friendly and helpful.
It also sounds like you took advantage of one of our promotions going on that included parking with your stay. There are always great deals happening for the hotel we hope all of our guests look out for them on our Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter pages.
Again, thank you for your review of our property and we hope to see you again soon!
Best,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently stayed here on a family trip to Disneyland with myself, my husband and our 5 year old daughter. We were pleased with our hotel choice overall. The rooms were clean, although the double, double room was slightly small but worked fine since we were basically only in the room to sleep and shower. Our only complaints were that they put us in a room in the very back in the complex in the farthest room from the entrance on Katella avenue, which added another few minutes to our LONG day of walking every day, not a huge issue but this is a fairly large complex of buildings so if you are concerned about your location of rooms with little persons legs and walking distance, ask for a room near the entrance. Nice, friendly service from front desk staff and bellman. We would choose to stay here again if budget was a concern but for our preference we would most likely spend the extra $$ to have a hotel a bit closer to the parks.... It's a Lot of walking being in the parks from open to close, although the hotel is only about a 15 minute walk, it adds up in the end. Coco's restaurant a block away was fantastic for a late dinner.
Did not try out the restaurant, bar or pool at the hotel, so I can't comment on that. Overall pleasant stay, I'll give it a B+

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear KBspaqueen,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very happy to hear you were pleased with your decision to stay at The Anabella Hotel. Our service given by our Front Desk and Bellman staff is what truly sets apart from the other properties in Anaheim and we thank you for recognizing our amazing staff.
We are a very large property, seven acres to be exact. Because of this we provide golf cart assistance to drive and pick up guests anywhere on property. Just let us know. While some of our guests prefer the quietness towards the back of the property, we do have rooms right on Katella Ave. We hope you chose to stay here again with us and we will definitely make sure your preference is met for a closer room which will help shave a couple minutes to your walk over to the parks.
Again, thank you so much for your review and hopefully you will be back and have the chance to enjoy our Award-Winning Tangerine Grill & Patio. We now have Citrus Nights on the patio every Friday and Saturday from 7-10 offering live music from Sharon Marie Kline who brings a unique & distinguished sense of jazz history to her song stylings and I think it is something you your husband and daughter would really enjoy!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We travel from Australia to Disneyland and stayed at The Anabella hotel, the entrance is very nice and starting with the door men they were extremely kind and helpful (sorry I can't remember their names) but hats off for the reception service specialy from Tatiana, very kind.
The rooms are comfy and very Cali style. We really enjoyed our stay and we definitely will stay there in our next trip to Disney, excellent value for the money.
Walking distance to Dinsey entrance, about 10minutes walk by the Dysneland boulevard, great experience with the Family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LFV_Aus

Dear LFV_Aus,

Thank you very much for choosing us for your stay here to Anaheim, and thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. Our Bell staff here is the one of the best. They are always all smiles and always awaiting and eager to greet and assist our new and returning guests. Tatiana is a great asset to our Front Desk team and I will be sure to let her know you valued her service. It is reviews like these that drive our staff to continue our excellent service.
Again thank you for your kind review and we will look forward to having you and your family stay here again!

All the best,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The property is conveniently located near the Anaheim Convention Center and Disneyland Park. The rooms have been remodeled with new paint, flooring, and marble accessories. Small refrigerators allow for flexibility with meals and beverages. The rooms were very clean with a small day bed/couch in an adjacent room area. One issue to explain: the property, being older and remodeled allows for external sound to travel easily, when the water in another room is turned on, the water pipes make a loud noise. Also, breakfast was limited depending on the day. There was tension when our party was directed the only available breakfast option was the buffet. After a very light breakfast (fruit and oatmeal) we submitted our breakfast vouchers to be informed the vouchers were not good for the buffet. Our server wanted to bill us $33.00 for the breakfast. After some discussion with the server a portion of the bill was reduced (unacceptable). Our party then discussed the issue with the manager. She didn't want to assist and was prepared to charge us for the misleading situation. My college commented "we are here on business and not attempting an elaborate scheme for breakfast." Finally, the manager accepted our explanation and allowed us to use our vouchers. Overall, the stay was decent. This location is a good option for families, business travelers may want to try another location.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lawrence T
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was concerned by some less-than-stellar reviews of this property but the location was great and we found a really great deal through Travelzoo. I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. The staff was extremely accommodating. It's not a 4 or 5 star resort but I'd consider it a strong 3+ and, for the price, it's a great value. I would stay again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Emanville,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your experience here at The Anabella. Located just a ten minute walk from Disneyland and having a team that provides such excellent service we are truly a hidden gem amongst all of the hotels in the Anaheim area. Thank you for choosing our property for your stay in Anaheim and thank you for your positive review. We hope you will stay with us again soon!

All the best,