“Pros and cons to everything...”
Review of The Anabella

The Anabella
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Pros and cons to everything...”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I really like the concept of smaller, more unique hotels... and the Anabella is close to being a gem... but it's not there yet!

Our room was an updated version of your standard double bed motel/hotel room. Not what the photos showed, but still fine. The pool was great. It was a bit crowded in the afternoon... but being able to order food and drinks poolside, while the kids played in the pool, was terrific. We loved being able to walk to the park. You can access California Adventure through Grand Californian Hotel... but if it's within the first hour of opening to the park... only hotel guests are allowed through. Yet, there's a shortcut through the Grand Californian Hotel to Downtown Disney which is shorter than going across the street towards Disneyland Hotel and walking from the start of Downtown Disney.

The drawbacks to the Anabella are that they charge for wifi even in public places like the lobby, pool, etc. They charge for parking. They have timeshare people trying to get you to view their offerings in the lobby. Breakfast at their restaurant was not good. We only ate at there one morning and it was quite expensive for what they offered. None of us really liked our breakfast except for sitting outside with the palm trees. Even though it's not as exciting as sitting outside, I recommend eating somewhere else like Coco's across the street before heading to Disneyland.

The biggest problem we had with the hotel was at 5am one morning we were awaken by a terribly loud pounding/alarm type sound. We all jumped out of bed. We first thought it was a very sick fire alarm. It turned out that someone... somewhere in our building was taking a shower and the pipes in our wall were vibrating terribly. I have never heard pipes make such a loud sound. After about 10 minutes it quieted down gradually... but then we couldn't get much sleep after that. I can't imagine how it didn't wake the whole complex. I called the front desk and they said they'd send someone out... and she didn't seem surprised by my call... so I fear this is something that has happened in the past.

If the Anabella offered free wifi and fixed their showers/pipes... this could be a great place to stay. But until then if you're looking for more bang for your buck... might as well go to Howard Johnson's and get free parking and wifi since it's just as close.

5 Thank LeannSeattle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Great Hotel, clean comfortable, friendly staff, great location. You can either take the bus to Disneyland or walk. It was a nice under 10 min walk to Disneyland. Resturant's inside hotel and next door. The price was more than half of what the Disney hotels were and it was literally a block (if that) away. Would for sure stay here again and again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rene C
Camarillo, California, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I've been staying at the Anabella for years now. I used to come here with my mother and now I come all the time with friends or my boyfriend for when we visit Disneyland. The rooms are always nice with beautiful flooring and countertops. Service is great, everyone is friendly. I love the restaurant, too! Yum :]
Definitely the best bang for your buck in Anaheim if you're going to Disneyland. It's only a 10 minute or so walk to the park. I love the Anabella and will always stay there when I'm in the area!

Room Tip: Make sure to look into their deals/promotions..they offer discounts for AAA and often have a free ni...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holly_S305
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed 3 nights. The rooms were not AT ALL as they depicted on their website...Not even close.Our room had gross carpeting and was very outdated. We also had a room on the second floor DIRECTLY across from the random ice machine that was just sitting in the breezeway. People used this extraordinarily LOUD ice machine all day and throughout the night. There are also no vending machines outside of the "fitness" cubicle.There is no fan in the bathroom and the shower head was stuck in a position where you had to step out of the shower to shampoo your hair. The walls are very thin and you can also hear people walking on their hardwood floors above you. There is constant beeping of maintenence carts in the parking lot as well.The pool bartender and waitstaff were HORRIBLE. This one older, mean waitress berated me in front of the entire pool area for bringing in outside food to the table area. It was fast food in a bag! The waitstaff were terrible...and that is assuming you could find them. The bartender forgot our food order THREE times and never apologized as we sat there for an hour and then checked in with him every 10 minutes thereafter. The service at the actual restaurant was VERY slow even when not busy. It was just awful overall when it came to eating or drinking there. You also have to pay an additional $14 per day for parking when there seemed to be plenty of spaces and I was there during peak time in April.The "gift shop" has strange hours and is very overpriced. There are also people who solicit you in the Annabella lobby. It is definitely close to Disney parks but still not worth it. I am sticking with DisneyWorld after this experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine and do not get stuck below rooms with hardwood floors!
5 Thank KaraS618
Gravesend, Kent, England
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The main reason to stay here is the 10-minute walk to Disneyland, but the hotel itself has a lot going for it. It's an older place, but it's been redone recently, and the rooms were modern, clean, pleasant and comfortable. It was attractively landscaped, with lots of mature, blooming plants. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Ours had a small, separate, room with a day-bed and its own TV, which was perfect for our 10-year-old. The main room was spacious, though the TV was a long way from the bed.

Beware the $14/day parking fee, which they don't mention up front, and the guys in the lobby touting $100 "Disney Dollars" in exchange for a 2+ hour timeshare presentation. Also, be warned that there are no elevators to the rooms on the second floor, and try not to get a room near the stairs as there is a lot of noisy coming and going.

It was chilly and rainy, so we didn't try the pool, but it looked quite nice. We also didn't try the on-site restaurant, but wish we had. Tiffy's on the corner has good ice-cream, but we got food poisoning from some bizzarely rubbbery chicken that looked over-done but oozed watery blood. A better bet is walking the long city block past the convention center and across the street to upscale restaurants.

Excellent value for the money, and an ideal location. Parting tip: it's much closer to enter Disneyland through the new Disneyland Hotel than to go the long way around to the main gates.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, away from the stairs where there is a lot of noisy coming and going.
3 Thank harrisUSUK
Lakeside, California
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My family and I live in Southern California and visit DisneyLand often. We discovered the Anabella quite a few years back and now refuse to stay anywhere else. It's conveniently located right across from California Adventure... we don't even have to move our car. It's one of the cheapest hotels considering it's so close to the park. I think the rooms and grounds are beautiful and the staff is very accommodating. While the prices of the hotel cafe are a little more than our family can handle, there are PLENTY of cheap diners and restaurants within strolling distance. I would (and do) recommend this little gem to everyone I know who is staying in the area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennifer S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I spent 3 nights there recently while I was at a convention and will never go back! Here were a few of the items that may my stay less than desirable: (1) They don't tell you until you are checking in that there will be a $14 per day charge to park your car in their lot. (2) Unless you read the fine print, you find that yes they do have wireless internet access, but it's not free. In this case is was $9.95 per day. (3) My "standard" room had a vintage vacuum tube TV that at best was a 21 inch set with terrible reception. I think I gave a similar one away 15 years ago to Goodwill. Also, no HBO, no movies (for purchase or otherwise). Also, I had to call maintenance to come and replace two (2) burned out bulbs - one a 38 watt bulb that was in the lamp on my nightstand. I had to argue for a brighter bulb so I could read! The night before the end of my stay, I inquired about a "late" check out (1:00 PM rather than 12:00 noon) since I was going to be in a class at the Convention Center that ended at 12:30 PM. I was told that there would be a fee of $ 10.00 per half hour. Well there were also other things, such as poor sound insulation and seemingly endless noise even though they try to advertize their tranquil setting. This place is just a glorified large motel with a nice exterior and old rooms. It's location is great but there are other places near by that offer so much more for the same or less money.

Room Tip: Avoid the "standard" rooms. Maybe the premium rooms (the ones you see in their website) ar...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Vincenzo S
GGentry, Front Office Manager at The Anabella, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
Well first off thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisory website regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had some challenges and did not like your overall stay. In regards to your first comment I am sorry that you think we have hidden fees we do everything in our power to make all of our guests aware of our additional charges like Internet. We have posted any additional charges all over the website and on all of our third party websites as well. We also have this on our registration card once you arrive, if you have any other suggestions please feel free to speak up I am not sure of how to do this any better, my apologizes for the miscommunication. In reference to your comments on the TV we are in the process of replacing the last few tub televisions with LCD Plasma televisions as we speak. We do have HBO on property but you are in fact correct about the Pay movie we are no longer providing that service.

You did mention that you were unhappy with the late checkout charge, our normal check out time is 11am and we do give extended complimentary check out at noon but anything after that is an additional charge we do try to accommodate all guests but have to make up the rooms for the next guest as soon as possible. Thank you for your comments everything has been noted and I do hope that you will try us again in the near future.