Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
HolidayInn.com
$634
$508
4,649 results
All reviewsgrand californiancalifornia adventurestorytellers cafedowntown disneynapa rosewhite water snacksprivate entrancewhitewater snacksrocking chairscraftsman stylebedroom villagrizzly river runwilderness lodgedvc membersdisney vacation clubboth parksdirect access
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We booked the Grand Californian as we were travelling with 4 young kids and wanted to be as close to the parks as possible. The hotel was extremely convenient - footsteps from our room to the California Adventure Park and a leisurely 10-15 min stroll to Disneyland theme park.

When we checked in early at noon, not only were our rooms ready, we got upgraded! So the vacation got off to a great start.

The room were nice, not super luxurious or anything, but decent. The bathrooms could do with an upgrade, but it was not anything bad.

Being jetlagged, we hit the parks early, came back for naps in the afternoon when the parks got crowded and went back and stayed till closing. It worked out really well for us.

The service at this hotel was overall very good and we were very satisfied.

We ended our vacation with a character breakfast at Storytellers Cafe which the children loved, and took plenty of pictures with Brother Bear, Chip and Dale among others.

We had a fantastic stay at the Grand Californian and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a convenient hotel near the theme parks. It is not inexpensive but for us, it was well worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
12  Thank melhj
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stay at Disneyland resort hotels quite frequently, but this was our first stay at the Grand Californian. We were celebrating my sons 4th birthday and thought we would splurge and stay at what we thought was the best of the Resort hotels. I was seriously disappointed. We got to the hotel at 6:30 am and were told we would get early check-in approximately 12:00-1:00 pm…so we hit the park…our room was not even ready at 4:00 pm which is check-in and the front desk help did not care whatsoever…the service was not what we had expected. We have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and the Paradise Pier and were much happier with how we were treated. Once we got our room, it was “just a room” nothing to write home about…we paid more for a “park view” which was the top of the Grizzly Bears Head, once again, not impressive. Out of all three resorts the best view was at the Paradise Pier and the best rooms at the Disneyland hotel. The lounge at the Grand Californian is really nice but we paid $8.50 for a cup of coffee with a shot of Baileys…seems a little excessive? Maybe if we had been one of the movie stars attending the Nemo Event we would have been treated better…oh’ we’ll, live and learn.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank mblaschak
Reviewed June 3, 2007

The overall decor of the hotel is dark and uninviting - lots of dark wooden beams and not a lot of natural light which I personally didn't like. The light fixtures all have animal motives and would benefit from higher wattage bulbs throughout especially in the bathrooms. It is very hard to put makeup on in dim lighting.
The rooms are nice of average size with nice furniture and really, really comfortable beds. The beds are great with nice linens and plush duvet!
The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly. The housekeeping staff derserve a special mention as not only did they do a good job, I also enjoyed their sense of humour. As a single person staying in a two bedded room the housekeeping staff responsible for evening turn down service felt I should alternate beds and I was happy to oblige. They also left a great display on my pillow most nights, a Disney hat I had purchased surrounded by the increasing supply uneaten chocolates that came with turndown service. My night clothes strategically placed on a different part the bed - it made me smile every time I returned to my room.
I stayed in the hotel for five nights on a business trip and although there were numerous families with children as one would expect in a Disney hotel the rooms were quiet as was the lobby bar.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank Katrinsa
Reviewed May 30, 2007

We were at the hotel for four days and had a room with bunkbeds. From the previous reviews, I was not expecting much. We chose the location because we knew that our 5 and 3 year old boys and myself would need to nap during the day and we wanted to be as close to the park as possible. We had a nice room overlooking the front of the hotel. The small water fountain helped to disguise some of the street noise. The room's decor was average (but I'm not a big fan of Arts and Crafts). We liked the fridge, robes, spa products, and flat screen tv. Housekeeping staff was outstanding! I requested that the room be cleaned every morning within a 2-3 hour time period and turndown within a 2 hour time period. There was never a problem. I also enjoyed the disney chocolates and daily list of hotel activites left every day at turndown service. Most hotels we've stayed, you only get a list when you check in and have to go to the lobby for the following days' activities. As hotel guests we were able to enjoy early admission to disneyland. The location to downtown disney was a plus. We ate there instead of dining at the park. The heated pools were also nice as well as live piano music in the lobby. I wish the lobby wasn't always so crowded and that there was a decent place to get a good cup of coffee (couldn't find starbucks or peet's at downtown disney) but other than those small things we really enjoyed our stay. My husband jokes that he never broke a sweat during our disney trip
since we were so close.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank JJMRqueen
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We stayed @ The Grand Californian May 15th-May 21st. Wow, what a beautiful hotel! We loved everything about it. The rooms were nice & very clean. The pools were nice, especially the one with the slide. The restaurants are very good! The staff was great! Housekeeping did a very good job-would come in to turn down the beds & would leave candy & nice little card! I have no complaints about the hotel I would stay there again in a heartbeat! It is a little pricy though, but well worth it! Now the Disneyland hotel on the other hand is awful & not worth the price!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family