Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
$109
HolidayInn.com
$508
4,649 results
All reviewsgrand californiancalifornia adventurestorytellers cafedowntown disneynapa rosewhite water snacksprivate entrancewhitewater snacksrocking chairscraftsman stylebedroom villagrizzly river runwilderness lodgedvc membersdisney vacation clubboth parksdirect access
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We are DVC members, so we consider ourselves Disney experts. But that's Disney World in Florida. So this was only our 2nd trip to California.
We stayed in a 1br villa. It was beautiful. The decor was very craftsman style, which I love.
The bedroom has a king sized bed. The living room has a pull out couch, but also has a bed that folds down from the entertainment center. My son loved the bed from the entertainment center. It was just right for a 6yr old boy. We faced the pool area, and could see some of the fireworks at night.
The hotel staff were great. Our room was not ready at 5pm when we checked in, so we were given vouchers for a free dinner.
Over the course of the week we ate at Napa Rose, Storytellers Cafe and used room service. We enjoyed all of them and I will review those separately.
Our son spent one evening at the Pinocchio's Workshop kids club. He said that he had a great time and would be happy to go back again.
Overall, we would be thrilled to go back and stay at the Grand again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank peekacho_2000
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We took our 5 year old son to Disneyland and CA Adventure for the first time and, as recommended by friends, stayed at the Grand Californian. (We got a great package deal through Costco Travel!!) I'm so glad we chose to stay on property, as the hotel is beautiful and the location and access to the park make your life so much easier!
We had a room on the 5th floor, with a view of the CA Adventure park, which was very cool. It was quiet because we were at the end near Soaring Over CA, but we were still right by the park! The other side of the hotel, overlooking the Disney promenade, would have been very noisy and I'm so glad we did not choose that side. Our room was extremely clean, the beds were comfortable, the pillows were comfortable, and the sheets were clean, thick and you could actually pull them all the way up to your neck. (I hate when hotels short-sheet the beds...) We had a small refrigerator in the room, so we stocked up with fruit, drinks and juices before we got to the hotel. I brought breakfast bars and snacks, so we had all we needed for breakfast each morning, or a snack before bed.
The location of the hotel is PERFECT. It's about in the middle of the promenade, which is full of shops, restaurants and street performers (which is why it's so noisy - fun, but noisy). You walk through the lobby, turn right, go down a hall and you're out in the promenade. To get to the park, you walk past the pool, down a short corridor, and there's your private entrance to the park. PERFECT! EASY!
We ate one morning at the Storyteller Café with 4 adults and 3 kids and it was the best, easiest, most fun meal I think I've ever had. The wait staff was immediately at our table as soon as we sat down with coffee and juice for everyone (plastic, covered cups with straws for the kids). The menu was varied enough for everyone and the food was delivered quickly. The food was delicious! The omelets and all the ingredients were fresh and plentiful, the kids' meals were cute, HEALTHY, and good (Mickey Mouse shaped whole grain waffles, fruit and yogurt). The characters all came around and spent a lot of time with the kids, playing around with them and posing for pictures. They seemed to be in no rush and so each kid got a decent amount of time with each character, which I really appreciated!
The Lobby is gorgeous, and we had hot chocolate and hot toddies one night in the Lobby bar after a rainy day at the park. It was perfect and again, the wait staff was right there for us, the drinks were delicious and we were happy.
I highly recommend this hotel for your stay if you plan on going to CA Adventure or Disneyland. It's just a quick 5 minute walk down the promenade to the Disneyland entrance. We were there for five days and never once had to step off property for anything.

Room Tip: Ask for the park side if you want a quieter room, or a room on the promenade side if you want to be able to hear and see all the action. If you want a view, upgrade to a Premium view to see CA Adventure. It was worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LoFro2
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We spent a week for our first trip to Disneyland after staying at several Disney World hotels in Orlando. The building is older (compared to Disney World hotels) but they are well maintained and the facilities in the room are most definitely modern with a luxurious touch. The cast members were for the most part accommodating and welcoming. The rooms were clean, beautifully decorated and the beds were very comfortable We were able to enjoy the nighttime fireworks from our balcony. Our room was quite far from the lobby but after the lobby it was just a few minutes walk to Downtown Disney and hotel entrance to the Parks. Traveling with two children ages 3 and 1 this was a great plus as we were able to walk back to the hotel room in the afternoon, get a brief rest, freshen up and walk back to the park for a late night to see the Water Show which is absolutely amazing.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We actually stayed in a motel across from Disneyland for a week and treated ourselves to one night at the Grand Californian so we paid for two motel/hotel rooms for one night because we didn't want to move everything! The Grand Californian was SUCH a fun hotel to explore. We loved seeing the observation decks, pools, California Adventures right outside our sliding glass door from the fourth floor. And those sliding glass doors must have been part of the Disney magic because open it sounded like you were IN the park with screaming kids. Closed? Quiet as a church on Thursday. Just fantastic.

The room was clean but tight for four adults as it was rather smallish. We had two queen beds. Our motel across the street was quite a bit bigger at only $100 a night. This was over $400 and that was with $100 knocked off for the January special. We ordered room service and the food was fanTAStic and hot and delivered in a very timely manner. And it was NOT overpriced. Very competitive. Had drinks in front of one of the fireplaces in the bar two times and coffee a couple of times in the VERY grand lobby with comfy couches and chairs and a lovely piano that is either played or operated by a player-piano mechanism in the evenings.

Really a tremendous feel to this place and the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the gal who checked us in. Had only worked there three days but DEFINITELY had the Disney persona of friendliness and helpfulness. Wish I could remember her name. It was not a name I had ever heard before but she was from Porterville, CA which isn't far from us. What a doll. And I love that this is the type of person Disney strives to place in these key positions. It starts your visit off so perfectly.

There was SO much to like about this hotel and we would LOVE to stay again but the price is staggering. It was a great experience for one night, however, and we have no regrets. Great memories as a family!

Room Tip: If you want to see California Adventures from your room and the evening show of World of Color, ask for a room that is up higher and overlooks the park. Definitely treat yourself to room service after a busy day in the parks.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 6, 2014

There is a lot that is completely awesome about the Grand Californian, and I love the place--so much attention to fine detail and a lovely experience. However, I was visiting last month to run in the Tinker Bell Half Marathon, and could not believe the noise coming from the next room! As I was trying to fall asleep, the ladies next door were having what sounded like a normal conversation, and I could hear every word! For more the steep price of the accommodations I would expect to be able to have a great night's sleep without overhearing every little sound from my neighbors. For all of the great things about the hotel, I can enjoy most of them without staying overnight. The idea of an overnight stay is to SLEEP, and I will think very carefully about booking with them again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family