We take an annual trip to Disneyland every October and we have stayed at the Grand Californian for the past several years. My family just loves the atmosphere in the hotel, the Disney magic that starts the minute you enter the lobby, and most of all, the proximity to the parks. I keep saying we should try out the renovated Disneyland Hotel but my family does not want to give up the location of the GCH.
However, that said, I will say that at the prices they charge, there should be a few things that are provided that are not. The beds should be queens, not doubles. The rooms should be bigger (obviously not easy to change at this point) and more (a lot more) rooms should have daybed options. My family consists of 2 teenagers of different genders. They are not going to sleep in the same bed and they are too big for the bunks. I have even heard that Disney does not guarantee beds for 5 people even when booking 5 people into a room and that they will possibly offer a sleeping bag for the 5th person. This has never happened to me but if it is true it really unacceptable for a hotel of this quality.
And probably my biggest complaint is the bathrooms. The shower pressure in particular was about the worst I have experienced. It was a weak stream of water and it barely allowed me to wash my hair or rinse the soap off my body. And the towels are not particularly plush or large (again, something I would expect at a hotel of this level).
We did not use the pool this trip but we love the lounge chairs - the best I have seen.
We did eat at Whitewater Snacks one morning and the best deal there is the large bottle of OJ - easily enough for 4-6 people for the price of 2 or 2.5 smaller bottles. I felt like there were fewer breakfast options than in years past but I am not sure that is true.
Internet access was a little spotty in the room we ended up in (see the next paragraph) so that was disappointing.
We did have one issue arise. We checked in around 7:45 am and were able to get right into our room (what a surprise!). However, when we went back to the room around 4:45pm to unpack some things and get a bit settled, we got a phone call from the front desk saying they needed us to move rooms - the second I closed the last drawer after putting everything away. (Apparently there was construction starting at the new Starbucks location in DTD that would be very loud late at night and for some reason the hotel was not aware of it before assigning the room to us.) So we packed everything up and moved to our new room. The room did not have quite as nice of a view - the first room overlooked the courtyard near the DTD entrance and the second room overlooked a back area of DCA (no real themepark view) and we could see the monorail. Mostly dirt and a few trees. The front desk did comp us with 4 free dinners good at several resort hotel locations (Goofy's Kitchen, Storyteller's, PCH Grill, Steakhouse 55 I think). We ate at the latter - for the first time ever and we have been going for 15 years. The free coupons covered an entree and a dessert, side or starter for each of us plus a non-alcoholic beverage I think, plus the gratuity was included as well. Steakhouse 55 was amazing - great food, great service, nice atmosphere. So in the end, the small inconvenience of the move was well worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This stunning hotel offers premium accommodations and rich dining experiences in American Craftsman style and elegance. With its world-class spa, an impressive array of amenities and impeccable Disney service, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa defines grandeur in every way. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney District, this hotel is just steps away from exceptional dining and entertainment. And with your park ticket, enjoy an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz and Jetsetter so you can book your Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Californian Hotel
- Grand California Hotel
- Disney California Hotel
- Disneys Grand Californian Hotel
- Disney Grand California Hotel
- Disney Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneys Anaheim