“You can't beat the location, BUT....the carpets in the room were FILTHY!”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was our third stay at Disney's Grand Californian since 2011. The hotel is impressive, but at the prices they charge to stay there, it should be, lol. And you absolutely cannot beat the proximity to the theme parks of the Disneyland Resort. If you want convenience and can afford upwards of $400 a night, this is the place to be. We spend a great deal of time in Disney's California Adventure, and we could be walking in that park within 5 minutes of leaving our room. And we find the rooms spacious enough for our needs (a family of four including two teens).

But on our two most recent stays (January 2013 and May 2013), I was absolutely disgusted at the condition of the carpeting in our room. The bottom of my feet were BLACK from walking on that carpet within 30 minutes of taking a shower. That is completely unacceptable. We didn't complain about it the first time, but on our most recent trip in May 2013, I called Guest Services our first night, and shared my feelings on the fact that the carpets were filthy. They steam cleaned the carpets in the room the next day (we were staying for 6 nights and I wanted clean carpets), but we should have never had to ASK to have that done. Housekeeping needs to do a better job of monitoring the carpeting, and putting the rooms on regular schedules for carpet cleaning. Filthy carpets in a room that costs as much as the rooms at the GC do is ridiculous.

Beyond that, the service is very good. Requests for additional towels, etc. were always handled quickly, and always followed up with a call to make sure we got what we needed.

Room Tip: Premium theme park view rooms are amazing.
4  Thank FriscoBarbie
There are newer reviews for Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed on the Wednesday and Thursday before the Memorial Day weekend in May. The staff treated us with consideration and friendliness. How could they not? It's Disneyland and you expect the 'characters,' as all Disney employees are called, to always be top drawer. We had a courtyard room on the fourth floor. Quiet. The rooms aren't large but the small balcony was a nice touch. We added a third guest last minute and housekeeping quickly responded to several phone call requests. No charge for the 3rd guest and we easily switched from a Kingsize bed to two Queens during registration.
With 2-day Park Hopper tickets we strolled through the hotel right into California Adventure Park. What a joy avoiding the parking lots, trams, etc., though I wouldn't consider this expensive a hotel every time I come to Disney parks. The next day Disneyland was a brief enjoyable stroll away, no more than ten minutes!
We had room service for breakfast. I gave this hotel 4 stars for two reasons, very high price and the cheesy pastries. We ordered 3 continental breakfasts and received 2 nice chocolate pastries and six limp fruit filled glazed ones like the inexpensive store-bought type. That was disappointing. I expected better. Oddly, we had 3 large pats of butter. The server was excellent, pouring our coffee and attending to our needs. I'd asked for extra cream and he delivered 5 good sizes servings, He, somewhat, made up for the soggy pastries.
We went into the spa one night. It wasn't crowded, but, unfortunately, it was not hot enough for adults.
Still, I must again say all the staff did themselves proud and made for a good stay in this hotel.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

It's my 40th birthday so we decided to do this trip to Disneyland the best way we could and stay on property for the first time ever (just got home today). We chose the GC since it had direct access into the park and I always walked by their hotel entrance with envy. I paid $1100 for 2 nights including tax -- I have NEVER done that in my life and it was a hard pill to swallow but hey, you only turn 40 once right?? We arrive around 11am on a Thursday morning and upon check-in I asked if they had any benefits for an IATA member (travel agent membership) - the front desk agent said she'd ask but came back and said unfortunately not. No problem, my bad for not calling in the reservation to let them know, instead of just booking online. I asked if we could have a park view but she said we paid for a city view so unless we wanted to upgrade, that's what we're getting. No problem. I was just thankful we had a room ready at that early hour and to our surprise when we walked in, she did indeed give us a partial park view - yay!! We got to watch the tip top of the World of Color show each night and hear the whole thing, super cool.

Our room was a standard size hotel room with a queen bed and what I THOUGHT would be cool bunk beds for our 2 kids. Unfortunately they have a special let down area on the side for the maids to have an easier time changing the sheets -- but it made for a super noisy sleep time - it rattled like crazy all night with my restless 7 year old. Sometimes it was so loud I literally jumped out of my sleep. The next night my husband was smart enough to jam some paper in each of the hinges, it helped. Other people have mentioned a smell and I do have to say that the sinks got backed up pretty easily and it was a hair-perm like odor. We had to make sure the sinkholes were closed each night or it did get a little unbearable.

So the bestest bestest part ever was being right there in the park and taking advantage of the extra Magic Hour. Seriously, that pays for itself. But DON'T use the GC entrance into the park during Magic Hour - it's a nightmare of a line because they only have 1 or maybe 2 turnstiles to let you through. Go to the Downtown Disney entrance and go through the main entrance. It only took us 5 minutes to get through and high tail it to the Cars ride. The biggest pro for me in staying at the GC was that we could take easy breaks in our day and get in a decent nap before heading back out. Whenever we stayed off property, we'd never come back since it was such a pain to park and walk a million miles. I would totally stay at the GC again or maybe check out Paradise Pier or Disneyland Hotel if I needed to save some money. Any of them give you the same early morning access and accessibility for easy nap times. :)

If I had to change anything, I wouldn't valet again. It took over 30 minutes to get our car. We're from Vegas so we're used to a way quicker turnaround. It would have been much quicker to do self parking.

All in all, I had a super happy 40th for sure!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jennifer_Vegas
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My sister and I decided to bring both of our families to Disneyland - we thought it would be great to stay all together. We called the hotel and booked a 2 bedroom suite fit to accommodate 9 people. When we arrived, we were told they didn't actually have 2 bedroom suites, and were given a one bedroom w/parlor and an adjoining regular room with 2 beds. After repeatedly being told on the phone that we were booking the 2 bedroom suite so we could all hang out together in one big room with 2 bedrooms we were VERY disappointed with the switch. We could've just booked 2 rooms and saved a TON of money - we explained that to the hotel staff - they did nothing for us.

In this "suite + room" there were only 4 towels (to accommodate 9 people) and 2 tiny shampoos/conditioners, etc. We had to wait at the desk for 15 minutes to get more of these.

My family has been to this resort several times and we always love it. It was my sister's family's first visit - and it was a giant disappointment as far as their bait and switch. We felt swindled and felt we paid way TOO much for this room.

Also - we made reservations for 9 at the character breakfast, but were seated at a table for 8, and they made 2 of us sit at the head of the table all cramped.

We were so disappointed and sad that after speaking so highly of the hotel my sister's experience was so sub-par.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Tracy B
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Found the hotel was beautiful, loved the stay, close walking distance to attractions including Downtown Disney. Everything was excellent. The property is well maintained. The view from our room was spectacular. I would stay there again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Would recommend staying at the Grand Californian if you're planning to visit Disneyland and California Adventure for 2-3 days.

Location, location, location. You're walking distance to the parks, downtown disney, and the hotel amenities. Everything is convenient which makes for a great experience. Some of the rooms allow you to view fireworks and light show.

Relax at the pool. Three main pools, two hot tubs, and a slide. Great place to relax and rest your feet. We were there over a crowded Memorial Day weekend and were still able to find space to ourselves.

Nice rooms. We stayed in the Villas. Bathrooms were really nice. Beds comfortable. Full kitchen to prepare lunch and dinner. Couldn't ask for more.

3  Thank eck2005
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our party of four recently stayed at this hotel from August 31- September 3. I am giving the hotel 4 stars primarily because of convenience and magic hour!

The hotel rooms are just okay! Nothing spectacular, the furniture and decor is getting worn out. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, it was nice to have two bathrooms and two refrigerators. Other than that the rest of the room was just okay.

Negatives: We really disliked the fact that the showers can't keep a steady stream of the same temperature water. The temperature really fluctuates! You are either on the verge of getting scalded or freezing your butt off! The other issue that we had was with the valet. It takes forever to get your car. A good 15-20 minutes.

Back to the positives: You can't beat the location of the Grand Californian because you have direct access to the California Adventure as well as halfway through Downtown Disney. Right now because of Cars Land opening it is crucial to have the magic hour, one hour extra before the park opens! It's a good idea to plan accordingly because the different parks have different days for magic hour.

Overall the hotel is nice and clean. All the staff was friendly. I just hope they can work on controlling the temperature of the showers better! They have no excuse especially because rooms at this hotel are not cheap! If huge hotels in Vegas do not have a problem I do not understand why a big company like Disney cannot get it right!

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends