“Great Hotel for a "splurge"”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #32 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 30, 2004

We spent 4 nights at the Grand Calfornian in late September. I have traveled to Disneyland several times but never stayed at any of their hotels before. I always choose September or October because generally it is still warm and not too crowded. With our 2 1/2 year old we rarely had more then a 5 minute wait in any of the lines..A big bonus with a toddler! Anyway, I found the customer service to be excellent and up to Disney standards. The maid was incredible. She would neatly arrange my daughters coloring books and little toys for the turndown service as well as the morning room service. It really made us feel at home.
Everyone at the Grand Californian had a smile on and it was always spotless. We had a view of Disneys California Adventure and it was great to sit on the balcony and watch the rides. We booked with a travel agent and included in our package were several meal vouchers.
That helped us out and it also included some character meals which my daughter loved! The people that are at the entrance to California Adventure memorized our names and greeted us every morning. The restaurants were great as well. My only complaint with disney is the price of the food, it is around $10 for a kids meal. We were told that kids under 3 eat free but what that actually means (except for the buffet's) is that they are allowed to eat free off YOUR plate, so that was a little annoying to find out! Seriously though, when you are taking a trip like this you have to remember that the prices are not going to be reasonable and that you will spend more then you plan to.
All in All I would definitely go back to the Grand Californian being right in the park is a big plus, I felt bad for those people that were taking the tram in, I loved being able to go back to the room when we needed a little break or to get ready for the parade. Also, the character meals are really worth it for the kids - They try to make sure they visit every table and usually they do a fun activity during the time you are there. At Minnie's they did limbo, At Chip and Dales and Aerial's Grotto it was a Congo line and at Goofy's Kitchen there was Macarena. The kids just love it and the characters pay special attention to the little ones so they don't get left out . Minnie actually held my daughters hand while they danced. Anyway, as for it being noisy - I didn't think it was bad at all and never noticed anyone being loud, but then again I am used to my own child. The pool was good but better for older kids. I wish that the Grand Californian had a toddler pool although, they do have a little slide that you can help them go on but for mom's like me it is a little nerve wracking. Good Job Disney!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,511)

Reviewed January 29, 2004

If your're looking for a bargain hotel then this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for first class accommodations then this is the place to stay. As with any hotel you'll find the good and the bad but with the California Grand you'll find mostly the good. Our arrival didn't start off very well as the employees in the outside arrival area were more interesting in standing around shooting the breeze rather than helping arrivals from the airport. After asking one of the employees where the front door was we took our own baggage to the reception desk where the positve aspects of our stay began. No lines, as our stay was the start of the off season in mid October. This is the only time to visit. Our receptionist was extremely helpful and took time to provide us with maps of outlying areas and local attractions.
Our room was extremely neat and clean. Although it was a long way from the elevator as this is a sprawling facility. Here's a hint, if you paid for a park view like we did make sure you can see the park. Our room overlooked raft ride but the view was obscured by the trees which have grown over the years. You will also want to stay close to the elevator, it can be a long walk to your room. On our next trip we will ask for a balcony room overlooking Disney Town. There's always something going on on the street, from music to just watching interesting people. The other thing that caused us a small amount of concern was our room became infested with small ants on our second day.
The problem went away the third day after informing the management. But considering all things we will stay here again on our next trip. The location is fantastic with private access to the adjacent theme park and a three minute walk to Disney Land main entrance. The location meant we were able to go back to our room during the most intense heat of the day and relax prior to going back to the park. We didn't eat at the Hotel as Disney Town has a wonderful selection of restraunts that cater to anyones tastes. The Hotel grounds are well maintained and everything was spotless. The whole place is absolutely beautiful. For the ladies the bathrooms are well stocked with some top end toiletries.
In conclusion, yes the Hotel is expensive. But for convienence, beauty and location it absolutely cannot be beat.

1  Thank graveljack
Seattle, WA
Reviewed January 19, 2004

We (my husband and I), just returned from a 4 night vacation at Disney Land. We stayed at the Grand Calicornian. The standard room did not have a king bed which we asked for. Since it was the two of us, the other bed was wasted when we could have been more comfortable in a King bed. When you pay so much, that is the least they could provide you.
Also the front desk personell were rude. They said no King bed and thatz it. So our first impressions were very bad. there was no breakfast on the house which most two star hotels provide. In face even internet browsing had a charge which two star hotels provide for free for hotel guests. The rooms were also below par of a 4 star hotel. The pillow was uncomfortable. All in all this hotel is aboslutely not worth the price you pay. The only convenience is easy access to disneyland and california adventure park. But for that paying 200 bucks per night is atrocious. Stay somewhere else and rent a car to drive would be my advise. Disney has lots to improve at the Grand Californian.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2004

The Grand Californian is a classy, attractive hotel which also makes you feel at home. It has an ideal location, with its own private entrance to the California Adventures theme park, and within easy walking distance of downtown disney shopping mall and Disneyland, as soon as you figure out which elevators (or secret staircases) are the quickest routes! My husband and I got a great price for a room at the Grand Californian in January, with a seasonal discount for annual passholders, so we decided to give this hotel a try to celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary. What a pleasant surprise! Anybody who complains about this hotel must be spoiled and crabby. Our room on the third floor had a view of the park near the water raft ride, and the room was definitely above average. It even had lights which you could dim if you wanted a little romance. The temperature control in the room was easy to control and worked very well, unlike most other hotels.
Also, the shower in the bathroom is great and actually rinses you off very well, unlike many other hotels where all you get is a fine spray!
Outside, there were three jacuzzies by the 2 heated pools, and we had one jacuzzi all to ourselves at 9:00 pm, very romantic. No hotel is perfect, but our problems were minor and easy to fix. They had forgotten to leave us robes in our room, but they brought them by promptly when we called to request them. There was a very noisy family in a room next to us which we could hear yelling even through the sound-proof walls at midnight, but I gave them 20 minutes and then went out in the hall to see the number on their door, then called their extention on the telephone, and politely explained to them that they were being a little loud and we were trying to sleep. They promptly quieted down. Our room was clean except for some dust on top of the tall piece of furniture which houses the television. I realized why the dust was there when I saw the housekeepers in the hallway...the housekeepers are all too short to see the top of the tall furniture, but my husband and I are tall! Other than that one spot, the room was nice and clean, and the soaps and other items in the bathroom were better than at most hotels. We didn't try the restaurants. The only problem with the Grand Californian is that we are now spoiled, and the prices go up sky high in the summer! (In the summer we usually take the whole family and get a couple of rooms at a moderately priced hotel.)

4  Thank Melissa5
frezno,California
Reviewed January 6, 2004

omg! me and my sister and my mom stayed at the grand californian and it was horrible! it cost too much 4 one thing so we couldn't really buy that much stuff, and 2 the staff wasn't very nice. and THEN in our room we found hair in the bathtub, and the room was smelled like cottage cheese! by the way... i hate cottage cheese so my stay was the worst ever! oh yeah and did i mention that it was my FIRST time at Disneyland.. and that was the last time i will ever stay at the californian. I DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS HOTEL 2 ANY1!!!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed January 4, 2004

We have stayed at The Grand Californian twice and things were perfect.
Beautiful place to stay and very helpful and polite staff. Worth every penny.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member