“Disappointing.” 2 of 5 stars

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #24 of 116 Hotels in Anaheim
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our stay was disappointing for one reason alone. The staff, and not just one or two of them, were indifferent or surly. I have stayed in many different 5 star hotels worldwide for business and pleasure and this one ranks the poorest for service bar none! I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank Perthee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
Hubbard, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The initial impression of the hotel is that of those hotels built in national parks by the railroads back in the 1920's and 30's. The exterior fits the image as does the lobby area. Unfortunately, that's as "GRAND" as it gets. There is nothing special otherwse except the price, which is way too pricey, even for Disneyland, which is now too pricey to visit except on a very special occaison. If you are comming to Disneyland and plan on staying in one of their hotels look for a package deal to save $. I give the hotel and both parks a poor rating because of price and because Disneylands upkeep, appearance, and maintenance standards have visibly dropped. I would also say the hiring standards of the castmembers/staff have also dropped.unless I just happened to be there for 2 days when about a third of the staff just felt surly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Dave B
Tucson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed for four nights in late October, 2012. Check in was quick and impersonal. Communal areas were noisy, uncomfortable and busy. Room was dead average. Beds were fine but we had to get two queens rather than one king. Nice that it is a non-smoking property. We did not go to the pool but it must have been fun because there were so many people there throughout all four days. Restaurants are way too expensive for the quality of food and service. So nice to walk out of the hotel and be in Adventure Land or close to the entry to Disneyland. Really like the restaurants in the area I think is called Disneytown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Penny N
Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We just completed a 4 night stay at the Grand Californian staying in room 2259. The room was small and we really wanted to get a room with 1 queen and 1 bunk bed but that was not available even though we asked for it a month prior. After deducting the cost of the park hopper passes and character meal at the Storytellers Cafe the room cost $600 per day. The bathtub drain was partially clogged and a puddle of water always appeared. The view was poor and the arch on the facade partially blocked the view which really wans't much unless you like looking at cars driving into the hotel grounds.
Room 2259 was the farthest from the lobby too. Staying here gives you the "privilege" of getting into the park an hour earlier than the general public but the wait to get in resulted in an 30 minute delay so we only had about 30 minutes before the hordes descended on fhe park. I think getting charged $22 a day for valet parking is just pure greed on Disney's part as well. We would have paid half of what we paid if we stayed at a hotel off of the Disney property.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Willydor
colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Aside from location, the Grand Californian is not grand except in its pricing structure. The staff gives the impression that the magic is missing. The rooms, two queen beds and an average bathroom, are as tired as Tink. The room rate is expensive. I can not speak to the other Disney hotel, Paradise Pier, but look at your other options before you book this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank pricekarla1
Fremont, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We have had many enjoyable stays at this hotel, but they advertise their rooms are for 5 people and they aren't. If you have small children you may be able to make it work. We are forced to pay for 3 adults and 2 children, however no accommodation is made for the ages in the room. They always want to give us a room with 2 queens which is obviously not appropriate for three adults and two teenagers. And then we have to fight for the few rooms they have available with 2 queens and a day bed. This visit we didn't win and are stuck with 2 queens. One would think there would be a filter for people who really need this room, oh they also offer a sleeping bag- my 17 year old was not amused. For the price we pay, based on their ages, we feel ripped off. We will never stay here again. It is unfortunate that you have to throw a fit for them to give you what you want, we witnessed this many times, it's very sad that rooms are held for the people that yell the most. This is not how we like to conduct ourselves so we will look for other locations in the future.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank jugarde
Bakersfield, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The beauty of this hotel is truly outstanding, and it adds an indispensible ingredient of ambience to the Disneyland / California Adventure experience. Having said this, I found it odd to discover some unevenness with respect to service. For example, I thought that the check-in process was one of the worst that I’ve had. One pulls into the hotel into some sort of grand stage of an entry area and you’re virtually left with no clear choices with respect to getting your luggage to the room. I asked about getting a cart for our bags and was told that I could get one if I wanted to put our bags into storage…this certainly wasn’t where I thought that my bags needed to go at that point in time. I eventually figured out later that I could have put my bags into “storage” and then requested them after I had checked into the room. This was not clearly explained while I conversed with the bellhop who greeted me. On a similar note, I had difficulty leaving the hotel after checking out…the parking valet dropped the ball in retrieving my car. I figured this out after waiting outside for my car for about 25 minutes….

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family