Just returned from a great stay at Disney's Grand Californian. We had a great stay, and my two friends and I all agree -- we just wouldn't be able to stay anywhere else for Disneyland and California Adventure convenience. My group was three adults with no children.
The location: There is no better hotel for location. You have your own entrance to California Adventure and another entrance about halfway through Downtown Disney. Picture it: You're sloshing back from a midnight run on Splash Mountain. You're cold, you're chafing, maybe you have kids in tow. You don't want to walk through the concrete jungle that is Anaheim. Instead, a three-minute walk through Downtown Disney and you're at your hotel. Two minutes later, you're in your room. I'll never stay "right across the street" from Disneyland ever again.
The room: Given the premium price, you're probably expecting ultra-luxury, but not so. Keep in mind: You're paying for the location at this hotel. The room, however, is spotlessly clean, comfortable, and thoughtfully appointed. In our room, the double sink was outside the bathroom, and there were several mirrors around the room, so we three ladies all getting ready in the morning didn't have it too rough. There was a collapsible crib in the closet. We also had a balcony, and our room looked out at Grizzly Peak and Tower of Terror, so we were happy as clams. :)
Our one complaint was the lack of sound proofing. Our neighbors apparently went to bed a lot earlier than we did: We heard them snoring as we went to bed, and I was woken up when they were getting ready in the morning at 6:50 (probably hitting a 7:00 early entry) - ahhh!
The hotel: The hotel has a very nice decor, like a big lodge. There is a gift shop that also sells food items like bottles pop and water, and some snacks. The hotel is huge and walking to your room takes a little while. I know there are features that appeal to children like Pinnochio's Workshop and an arcade, but because we had no children with us, we didn't use those amenities. We didn't use the pool either, but it looked pretty great. There is a water slide for big kids and one for little kids!
The service: I didn't think that the famous Disney service would be a big deal, but it was actually really pleasant. And having Disney Dining and other services right there in the hotel was so convenient. We took advantage of the package delivery service (available in certain shops in Disneyland, DCA, and Downtown Disney), and it was awesome. You're out shopping and find something you can't live without -- you fill out the paperwork and they have it back to your hotel (no extra charge) after 7:00 am the next day. Too cool.
The food: The hotel has at least three restaurants. We ate at two of the restaurants and also used the 24-hour room service. The food at White Water Snacks was so-so but very convenient. Storytellers was delicious.for breakfast (they do have menu service if you're not interested in the buffet), and it was cute to see the characters walking around. The room service was, hands down, the best hotel room service I have ever had. Delivery was very prompt and the food was piping hot or crisp cool as appropriate. You pay an arm and a leg for the room service, but it's worth it for prompt and delicious food.
You may not get why the price is so high, but believe me: Stay there once and you'll never stay anywhere else again. I am raving about this hotel, so you are probably wondering about four stars -- I am taking off one star because the price is so high and the soundproofing is not good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This stunning hotel offers premium accommodations and rich dining experiences in American Craftsman style and elegance. With its world-class spa, an impressive array of amenities and impeccable Disney service, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa defines grandeur in every way. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney District, this hotel is just steps away from exceptional dining and entertainment. And with your park ticket, enjoy an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Californian Hotel
- Grand California Hotel
- Disney California Hotel
- Disneys Grand Californian Hotel
- Disney Grand California Hotel
- Disney Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneys Anaheim