I have read all the reviews and all the points are relevant and valid. We decided to stay here purely for the location and ease of getting into the park and paying the extra for the Magic morning which really sets the day up and gets you right to the front of the queues. All the crowds are heading for Carsland and it is worth it.
In our once-in-a-lifetime 5 night stay - 4 day pass we could get around quickly and at lunchtime escape to Downtown Disney and the hotel. One day was the really hot day in October (100 deg ) and it was just too hot so we went to the hotel pool and cooled off and then came back to the park in the late afternoon. It is really important who you talk to you on the Disney staff and the advice they give - sometimes you can get the wrong information about timings of shows - i.e. fireworks. We didnt eat in the hotel ever and used all the stores in Downtown Disney. Trying to find an early breakfast can be a little challenging as the La Brea bakery only opened at 8. In fact we ate in La Brea every day.
With regards to the sore points on customer service the park/hotel is so busy all the time and there are no quiet times that the staff find it difficult to make your experience special. Its hard if you want to celebrate something special and feel slighted but it is so popular and so busy its difficult to personalise everything. Be realistic. We found the hotel very cheesy decoration-wise and the public areas sometimes very crowded and noisy. The big lobby area was undergoing carpet renovation and closed off for 3 days which wasnt great. But then there will never be a good time to renew it during the year. And when it was open we never had enough time to sit down in it anyway! It is really important who you talk to you on the Disney staff and the advice they give - sometimes you can get the wrong information about timings of shows - i.e. fireworks. One helpful tip was to ignore the separate hotel/Californian park entrance for magic hour. There are just too many people using that entrance and the wait in the queue means you are losing time. Just go to the main entrance where there are more security checks and entry barriers open.
The last point is that at the end of the day just before the Californian adventure park closes our 5 year-old boy would race to the Grizzly bear wet ride as the queue would vanish and he could ride and ride it until it closed. And then the hotel was just the other side of the exit barrier. I can't imagine staying anywhere where looking after a cold wet child would be so simple and easy. Get him back to the room all wet and quickly get him ready for bed.
It cost a fortune but in our eyes it was worth it. We drove up and saw all the people and shuttle buses going backwards and forwards. You just dont have all of that and you get to the parks early before everyone else. And at the end of the day walk back and flop down in your bed exhausted.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This stunning hotel offers premium accommodations and rich dining experiences in American Craftsman style and elegance. With its world-class spa, an impressive array of amenities and impeccable Disney service, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa defines grandeur in every way. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney District, this hotel is just steps away from exceptional dining and entertainment. And with your park ticket, enjoy an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Californian Hotel
- Grand California Hotel
- Disney California Hotel
- Disneys Grand Californian Hotel
- Disney Grand California Hotel
- Disney Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneys Anaheim