My daughter and I just had our annual "just us" summer vacation and stayed at the Grand Californian. We have been to Disneyland before, but this was our first splurge on their signature hotel. I must say, we had a unique experience, so apologies if my review is a bit odd. You see, my daughter contracted food poisoning at the airport on the way to the hotel. We arrived late on a Tuesday evening, only to have her wake the next morning, for what was supposed to be our big day at the park, to instead becoming violently ill. We never made it into the park. Fast forward two days later, she is so ill, we can't leave the room. I was climbing the walls, struggling between wanting to make her feel better, while listening to the screams of joy coming from the park. It was a less than ideal situation. I finally realized I needed some help, called the front desk, and WOW. Within 30 minutes, I had DVD's from concierge for her (we were in a standard room, and would normally be unable to get these), housekeeping came and cleaned around her (and believe me, we needed them- and they did it all with a smile-God bless them) and room service offered to prepare her some simple broth when she was ready to try and eat. I was really impressed with the way they stepped up accommodate a "standard" room guest.
The hotel itself is really quite beautiful, and the enormous lobby and public spaces are a wonderful place to just "be". When we did try and venture out of the room, we found the large fireplace in the lobby, and while there, an amazing storyteller appeared and told us very funny and engaging stories, I swear my daughter thought I had arranged the whole thing. It was her only real time out of the room, so what were the chances she would be there at just the right time? He was a real life-saver and managed to put a smile on her face.
I must say, I see a lot of reviews that this is an average hotel which charges for location. I agree, you simply can't beat the location, but, this is no average hotel. The rooms are simple, and smaller, but who, other than us, spends much time in their room at Disneyland?! The service make this hotel an absolute stand out, and they have made my daughter and I loyal fans. We have already made plans to return in December to "re-do" our vacation, although it will be much shorter. The room service food was excellent (and I eat a lot of hotel food), the amenities were outstanding. The pools are huge and many, so never looked crowded. The hotel has laundry facilities, clearly a necessary item for our trip. Honestly, I could not have asked for anything more. We plan to return many times.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This stunning hotel offers premium accommodations and rich dining experiences in American Craftsman style and elegance. With its world-class spa, an impressive array of amenities and impeccable Disney service, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa defines grandeur in every way. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney District, this hotel is just steps away from exceptional dining and entertainment. And with your park ticket, enjoy an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Californian Hotel
- Grand California Hotel
- Disney California Hotel
- Disneys Grand Californian Hotel
- Disney Grand California Hotel
- Disney Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneys Anaheim