“Nice hotel, excellent location, pricey”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have been a passholder for about 4 years. I have passed by and through this hotel countless times, often for their back door into CA Adv or perhaps for their restrooms. Just walking past it in DT Disney has always made want to stay here. Unfortunately, their rates have always kept me away (I only live about 20 miles away). So when they offered 40% off for a special event, I decided to take the plunge.

The location simply cannot be beat. You are literally on top of CA Adventure, and a very short walk to the monorail (which also opens early for the Magic Morning you get as a hotel guest). And the service and decor is very good. Perhaps the most shocking thing is that they even have free wi-fi. The also have a very nice and large pool complex, with multiple pools and a large water-slide. I had a very nice view of the pool area, as well as CA Adv, from my balcony

Unfortunately, for a hotel which routinely charges over $400 a night, the rooms are as bit dated and drab. There is little in the room or bathroom to imply a high end hotel. also, the parking situation is a bit of a pain, especially if you prefer the $15 self park to the $22 valet (I like to be able to access my car without assistance). Just getting through the front gate to the check-in area is a real pain, with poor sign-age and heavy security. And when you finally get past the guard tower, and pull up to the hotel, there is no assistance in telling you where to park, if you do not want valet (there is a mess of cars and valets, but never enough to help when you need them). Finally, after you manage to check in and get your parking pass, the signs to the self park are few and misleading (and I have walked through this area countless times before, I can only imagine it is worse for people who do not know the area at all).

We got there early, and our room was not ready, but they give you the keys at check-in, and send you a text message when the room is ready. I asked for a high floor and they gave me the top floor. I have no complaints about the service, and I enjoyed my stay. But I would not want to pay full price for this hotel, and I wish they would make the parking/check-in process a little more clear and seamless. It is surely the crown jewel in the Disneyland hotel scene, but it is getting a little on in years, and the reality is that most people go to Disneyland for the park, not the hotel. If you have the money, by all means, stay here, but if you want to save a few bucks, you will enjoy the park just as much in just about any of the area hotels. And Paradise Pier, which has all the same Disney perks as Grand CA, is much cheaper and only a short walk across the street away. If the hotel was less expensive or more updated, I would gladly give it 4-5 stars.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank downinit
Write a ReviewReviews (4,539)

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I dont have a lot of comparison among Disney hotels but have stayed at 3 properties in Disney World and Disney's Grand Californian. A Californian at heart who loves the rich heritage of this state I must say I am a sucker for the Arts & Crafts style Grand Californian.

My family has stayed here 4 times over the past 8 years and each stay was better than the last. From the valet service, to the personal greeters who escort you through the lobby and check-in process to the bell service and beyond.

Beautiful lobby, nice bar, great pool and a good night's sleep.

Planning on enjoying the chaos of a Disney weekend? Treat yourself and your family to a stay at the Grand Californian.

2  Thank SouzaKH
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our recent Disneyland trip. The hotel is beautiful and the magic starts when you pull up. Your car doors are opened and you are welcomed by name, you step out and a representative is waiting to take you to the registration to check in. The front deck CM was happy to help out with our requests and when I asked what type of view we had, he explained we had been upgraded to a California Adventure theme park view. That was great. The kids had the bunk beds and didn't fight about where to sleep. We could watch World of Color from our balcony and you get a special admittance into California Adventure. The only problem was that when you are in your room with the balcony door open, it is so loud. The kids loved the rotating showerhead too. We would stay again but will have to save up for 5 years to afford the magic.

Room Tip: get the 5th floor in the 5200 wing.
1  Thank taylorta2010
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We've stayed for a couple of nights at GC, and loved every moment!!! From the friendly check in, quiet and spacious room. Great amenities! The pool had a good slide, and some recluse ones where you can relax too! The back entrance to California Adventure park make it easy to go to and from the park, so we could enjoy the pool before returning to the park to night fireworks!

1  Thank Ferrazalves
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Disney is known for it's world class service and the Grand Californian doesn't disappoint. We live in So Cal and have annual passes for Disneyland so we spend quite a bit of time at the Disneyland resort throughout the year. As parents of a 3 year old and 14 month old, we love the convenience that the Grand Californian offers. The lobby is beautiful and the pool area is great. We especially like the room with the bunk beds. The only reason that I wouldn't rate this hotel a 5, is the price. It's hard to stomach the high price sometimes, but in the end, we are willing to pay for two reasons - the service and the location.

Room Tip: The room with the bunk beds includes a trundle so you get lots of sleep space.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank crazyinluv
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My family and I stay at the Grand Californian every September. This our third year and we definitely will return next year. The lobby is very welcoming with large fireplace, rocking chairs, Mission Style furniture and warm arts & crafts style Tiffany lamps.

The guest rooms are large, well appointed with newer carpet, nice furnishings, triple sheeted bedding. Families might enjoy a room with two double beds or one double bed and a bunk bed. There are also connecting rooms available. The rooms are equipped with very good black out curtains, and are very quiet, which made for an effective nap time.

My family really enjoyed the pool area. There are three main pools, a kiddie pool, two hot tubs and also two water slides. Beverages and snacks are served in the pool area by wait staff, or there is a nearby snack bar.

We enjoyed the breakfast with Chip N' Dale a few times in the Story Teller Cafe. Or if you are in a hurry, the snack bar has some quick breakfast options. One morning we walked down to the Disney Land hotel to have Breakfast with Goofy. Room service was great for both dinner and lunch. I've enjoyed dinner in the Napa Rose restaurant in the past, but we didn't have the opportunity to dine there this time.

The best part about this resort is it's convenient location. Guests of the Grand Californian have a private access entrance to the California Adventure Park an hour before the park opens to the general public. Disney Land park is a quick 10 minute walk through Downtown Disney.

Room Tip: Families might enjoy a room with one queen size bed and bunk beds.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I have stayed at the GCH twice (September 2010 and May 2011) and both experiences were EXCELLENT! We will definitely be staying here on our next trip to Disneyland!
We typically frequent Walt Disney World, Florida and feel that GCH is hands-down a better resort (in every aspect) compared to any of the Florida resorts. It is very well kept, staff are friendlier and more knowledgeable, and it has an amazing location to everything Disney...Disneyland, California Adventure, and Downtown Disney! We flew out to California specifically for the Disney "experience" and were not disappointed in our decision. (We loved it so much that we had to return in May of this year to do it again!)
The hotel is large but I find that most Disney resorts can be a little confusing the first time around. We found using the lobby as the "hub" made it a piece of cake to get to the other destinations.
Rooms are superb. Clean and quite spacious. Mousekeeping does an excellent job.
We also always felt very safe both within the resort as well as walking to and from the parks/Downtown Disney, even later at night.
Yes, this hotel does cost more, but personally, I feel it is worth the splurge!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family