“Stay Away!”

Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GLENIVEW, IL
“Stay Away!”
Reviewed April 6, 2007

This place is a dump! From smoke-smelling hallways(smoke free?) - to dirty glasses, bathtub that doesnt drain - ripped wallpapaper - stay-away!

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank CONNIE4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (585)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Estes Park
Reviewed April 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Paradise Pier on October of 2006 for our Honeymoon for one week. Had a great stay and had an excellent view of California Adventure. Having worked in the hotel/hospitality business for many years, including some at Walt Disney World in Florida, I knew what to look for from both a guest and employee point of view. I have to stress that this hotel wasn't originally built as a Disney hotel, and for those who are used to staying at the heavily themed WDW hotels in Florida, you might be a little disapointed in this one. However, we still enjoyed the stay, and both of us thought the cast members at the hotel were very friendly and helpful! You can hear the noise of the theme park rides outside your room at night, but that didn't bother us. In fact, I thought it was kind of cool to see all the people down there enjoying all the attractions while we were up on the 14th floor taking in the great views. Definitely would recommend staying at this hotel again.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16 Thank Seandb
California
Reviewed March 24, 2007

I booked 2 nights at Disney's Paradise Pier hotel in March 2007 because I wanted 3 days at “the happiest place on earth”, without ever having to leave the Disney properties.

Did the experience live up to our expectations? Was it worth the price? Well, yes and no.

We booked a standard room for the cheapest possible price....still a whopping $292 per night in March by the time they add taxes and resort fees. We had a view of the parking lot from the 12th floor, and the pool was a tiny dot far below. However our room on the 12th floor was very quiet...I am a light sleeper and had requested a quiet room. While I knew we wouldn't have a view of the Disney parks, I hadn't realized our view would mostly consist of the parking lot. (Somehow I had imagined a city view with lights.) We closed the curtains and tried not to look out the window.

While walking down the hall we did get a peak into a room which had a view of Disney's California Adventures Park...it is a much more exciting view. However you also pay for that view.

Because it was our 20th family trip to Disneyland, we didn't feel that we had to have a great view. We just wanted a quiet room to sleep in one of the Disney hotels. Therefore we were mostly satisfied with our visit.

If you are celebrating a special occasion, or it is your first time to the Disney properties, I would recommend a room in one of the Disney hotels with a view of either Disneyland or Disney's California Adventures Park.

Our standard room on the 12th floor of the Paradise Pier could comfortably hold a family of 4, in my opinion. (They will allow a maximum of 5 people in this room.). The room was comfortable but could use a bit of redecorating. (Some wall-paper was peeling a bit here and there.) Plenty of hot water and comfortable beds.

The staff of the Paradise Pier hotel are mostly underpaid and overworked people, in my opinion, and their attitudes vary...some of the staff are cheerful and friendly; some are bored; some are impatient. Some haven't visited Disneyland recently and therefore cannot answer your questions accurately. I think Disney employees should be paid to regularly visit Disneyland and keep up with the latest changes!!!

Room service at the Paradise Pier doesn't have convenient hours. Room service is closed for a number of hours during the day. Therefore when we checked into our room, which wasn't ready til 4:00 pm, we couldn't call room service and pre-order our breakfast for the following morning, because room service was closed. After checking into our room, we spent the rest of the day at Disneyland, and returned to our room when Disneyland closed. By then, room service was closed again! Therefore it was impossible for us to pre-order breakfast by phone. It was also impossible to order a midnight snack. (I also called the front desk but they weren't interested in this problem.)

There is a card you can hang on your door with your breakfast order for the following morning, but there are 2 problems with that method. First problem, the card has limited choices, and didn't include the choices we wanted from the menu. Second problem, we have stayed in other hotels where young people take the card off of your door, as a prank, before it can be collected by the staff. Therefore I don't like hanging my order on the door.

It is a brisk 15-minute walk from the Paradise Pier hotel to the gates of Disneyland. We timed the walk, and took the route through downtown Disney. (That is assuming the lines for security check are very short. If you are trying to get back to Disneyland in the afternoon for the parade, you may find a very long security line.)

Unfortunately you cannot count on taking the monorail as a shortcut into Disneyland, because it often closes at unpredictable times.

It is an 8-minute walk from the Paradise Pier to Disney's California Adventures Park. You walk out the front doors of the Paradise Pier hotel, cross the street, enter the front doors of the Disney's Grand Californian hotel, and find the special entrance into the California Adventures Park which is exclusively for guests of any of the 3 Disney hotels.

Disney's Grand California Hotel has the best location...it is closest to both Disneyland and to the California Adventures Park.

The Disneyland Hotel and Disney's Paradise Pier hotel aren't quite as conveniently located as Disney's Grand Californian. However they are still the closest hotels to the Disney parks.

Over the years we have stayed at a variety of hotels within walking distance to Disneyland. Here are the best hotels to stay at for your Disneyland/California Adventures visit, in order of my preference:

#1 Disney's Grand Californian is best. (Look for discounted prices off-season. Outrageous prices in summer.)

#2 Disney's Paradise Pier hotel (the least expensive of the 3 Disney hotels)

#3 Candy Cane Inn (A good budget-friendly choice in summer, which is high season)

We will try the Disneyland hotel on a future visit!

• Liked — Our room was the most quiet room I have slept in at any hotel near Disneyland.
  • Disliked — Doesn't have 24-hour room service; too expensive for quality of room and facilities.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
18 Thank Melissa5
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 21, 2007

We stayed at the hotel 3/11/07-3/15/07. Had a stadard view room with 3 adults and 2 children which fit comfortably. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone based on the fact that the hotel did not have an overall fun Disney feel. We actually saw rats out at the pool and also found dead bugs in our suitcases upon returning home. We all found that it was actually quicker to walk to the park than to take the monarail as suggested. I would have liked to have heard some Disney music maybe and also have more food available in the hotel. This was however the best vacation that I have been on but the hotel in our opinion was no better than a Holiday Inn, it was just a place to sleep.

• Liked — The arcade for the kids
  • Disliked — The rats and the bugs
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
9 Thank ProudMamma
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed March 19, 2007

We just spent March 15 - 18 at Paradise Pier. We took our 21 month old son. This hotel was perfect location wise when travelling with a toddler. It was within a short walk to Disneyland (through Grand CA hotel) We booked a concierge room. The extra money was worth it - as you don't have to leave the hotel to get water, drinks, and misc snacks. It just was convenient. The room was what you would expect from a 3 star hotel. It was ok, clean, but nothing SPECTACULAR. It was a non smoking hotel, but at times I smelled smoke. Noise level was not that bad - you could hear the hall traffic if it was loud. I would stay here again - just because location is ideal to come back and forth for naps w/ my toddler. But it is not a luxury hotel otherwise.

Stayed March 2007
9 Thank JulieFangKoo
Hawaii
Reviewed March 1, 2007

I stayed at the Paradise Pier for three nights in February 2007. We had a concierge room. I would recommend this hotel. Personally I didn't think the room was any better than a standard non-conceirge room, but the added amenities were worth it. We definately saved a lot of money being able to get refreshments from the lounge. It was a good location to be able to go to CA Adventure Park or to ride the monorail to Disneyland.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank luvdinaz
Washington State
Reviewed February 16, 2007

We loved this hotel. We brought our 5 year old twins to Disneyland for the first time and enjoyed being so close to the parks. California Adventure was accessed through the Grand Californian. For Disneyland we went out the back door of the hotel, followed the red brick path to Downtown Disney, and hopped on the monorail to tomorrowland. Probably 6 minutes walk at the most.

Aside from the convenience of being so close to the park, this hotel was great for other reasons as well. It has a beautiful fitness center. The kids loved the pool and slide. They also made use of the movie room a couple of times. Bell service was just fantastic. Most importantly, our room was just the perfect fit for us.

We had booked a standard view room but were placed in a park view. That spoiled us. Now we'd be sad not to have one. It was so neat to look out over the California Adventure park at night and during the day. The beds were very comfortable and there were extra pillows and blankets in the closet. They are there because the couch can be folded out to sleep two more if needed. Having a couch is always nice. The desk had a smaller roll around desk underneath it. We used the "second" desk to eat breakfast on. When we were done, we wiped it off and rolled it back into place. It was a really neat feature. Have never seen that before. The in-room safe was also great. It was big enough to fit our 15" laptop and whatever else we wanted to put in it. The fridge worked well and there was a small single cup coffee maker with supplies to make two cups a day. The heating and cooling system was great too. It was hidden in the wall and had a control switch by the desk. The buttons had their symbols rubbed off but the bellhop was great in explaining what each button did. Make sure to ask.

The one complaint that we have is that maid service was a little hit and miss. We were tipping her $4 a day. The first day she forgot to leave us 4 glasses, leaving only two. The first two days there was no fresh bar soap left but shampoo was left for us. The third day our daughter's blanket got picked up off the top of her suitcase and was headed to the laundry. There was one day out of the five where everything was perfect. My wife called housekeeping the next morning and a very polite gentleman said he'd check with laundry and see if they couldn't find the blanket. When we came back later in the day the blanket was nicely folded and laying by the phone. Smiles for everyone there!

The maid service issue was minor. We didn't run out of soap, it's just that you're used to getting some everyday at pretty much any hotel. The glasses I just stepped out into the hallway and asked for. I realized by the end of the trip that our room was always on the end of the maids working day. I can understand a few little oversights after a full day of that hard work.

Our last day there I went over to the Disneyland Hotel and walked around, desiring to see if it would have been worth the extra $200 total we could have added to the package to stay there. It looked nice. The pool was really neat. A bathroom I used was very dirty though. And if you're going to Cal. Adventure you've got a much longer walk than we had for sure. Everything there seemed to feel a lot busier. I left feeling we had made a great choice in the Paradise Pier hotel and we would recommend it to anyone. Thanks, Disney, for a great vacation!

• Liked — Location and room quality
  • Disliked — Maid service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
27 Thank cmgering