“Another Reason to Patronize Disney!”

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“Another Reason to Patronize Disney!”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Once again, Disney exceeded our expectations! I checked into the hotel and was asked where the rest of my party was. The front desk attendant asked me to get the rest of my party because he had some "magic" for us! As excited as I possibly could be, I rounded up the rest of my group to find out that we were selected as the Big Kahuna family that day and received a picture in a very nice picture frame, free rice krispy treats to be delivered to our room that night! This was a trip celebrating my son's 8th birthday and father's 65th birthday - and what a great treat this was! Our room was HUGE and overlooked the park! We ended up canceling the second room reservation because we were all easily accomodated in the suite! The fireworks desplay from the room was spectacular not to mention the extra "magic" experienced along the way!
Location..location..location:
We were suprised how far spread apart everything was from the hotels. We were glad that we did stay at the resort due to the long walks we would have occurred with the non-disney hotels.
Great Customer Service:
My husband was very ill (not Disney related) and the front desk when out of their way to help him in any way they could. The front desk service always exceeded our expectations and even offered a car to take him to a nearby hospital.
Also, we purchased a few items from the gift shop and the staff was always helpful and friendly!
Lastly, when we arrived at the resort, we had no idea how and where to get into the parks. When we asked an "off duty" employee for directions, he escorted my family through the Disney California Hotel and showed us the "secrete entrance" to the California Adventure Park. Once again - exceeding our expectations!
I wish we could elaborate about the rest of the resort - but the weather didn't allow us to use the pool. We did go to the character breakfast at the resort and the kids had a great time! We were hoping it would be a little more like Ohana's but were still happy about the experience.

• Liked — The "Disney Magic"!
  • Disliked — Long walks to/from the parks after the entrance from the California Adventure Park closed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank coloradotrigirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hercules, CA
Reviewed May 10, 2008

This is a great hotel. Even though it is the furthest away from the parks out of the 3 Disneyland Resort hotels, it was also the quietest as it is away from the hustle and bustle. The rooms are very nice and clean and the staff is typcial cast member friendly. I had a great time and so did my 2 year old son. We can't wait to go back.

• Liked — On the Disney Resort property
  • Disliked — No microwave
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Pasadena
Reviewed May 2, 2008

While my husband was up in the mountains for a convention I took our son and two of his friends to Disneyland this last weekend. Three 16 year old boys...was I nuts?!

In the past our family usually stays at the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian. Since we're taking our first trip to Orlando this summer I didn't want to spend lots of $$$ for the Disney experience. I read on Mouseplanet /MouseEars or something like that about a Southern Californian locals only discount rate at Disney properties. I've never done Priceline,but our rate of $179 seemed fair (for Disney).

When making the reservation I informed the gal that we'd be celebrating 2 of the boys 16th birthdays. She asked me their names and said she'd see if she could do something special.

So, last Friday we get up early and are checking in at 7:30am. As always, I asked if we could get an upgrade. I had booked astandard room with no park view. None were available. BUT, we had already been booked in a Cabana room next to the pool because of the boys birthday! No concerige service, but these rooms are one of three (I believe) locations for concerige level.

The guys also received birthday buttons with their names printed on, and an "autographed" photo of Buzz & Woody. Ha...cute idea for little ones...but at 16 they were just not too thrilled. Hey, they did wear their buttons all weekend.

After being at the park for hours, we called at 2:30 and indeed our room was ready. Our room was on the 3rd floor , room 343. I really liked the location, away from the pool noise. It was just wonderful having the patio. The pool was just packed and not a chair that wasn't claimed. So, I put on my suit and relaxed and read in our own private space.

The room itself was very clean, carpet looked new. Two extra blankets and pillows (sealed) in closet for the day bed. Just a very nice room and perfectly fine for the 4 of us.

We went back to the park about 5:00, by 8:30 I was done. It's an easy and safe walk from the Grand Californian to the Paradise Pier. In fact, much closer than the walk from GC to Disneyland Hotel.

Back inside the room I saw that the maid had come by, the beds were turned down, fresh towels, and 4 Mickey Mouse rice krispy treats.

Just wanted to note: Yes, the elevators are slow! We ended up walking down the 2 flights of stairs when going to the parks. At night the outside of the door is locked for safety. True, the elevator a bit to the right (the glass elevator) seemed much quicker and we used that whenever possible.

By the pool there was no service. It was all closed up. Saturday I snagged a spot early and spent hours here. But, it was a pain to have to go down to the lobby for drinks and snacks. Again, those slow elevators made the process longer!

The service itself was wonderful. Maybe because it's a smaller property, less people, I don't know but the people here were just the nicest and the service was excellent. We had lunch Saturday in the Lobby Bar. The boys burgers were huge, my Cobb salad was huge and delicious!

Sunday morning we had the Sunday Brunch with Stitch and Lilo. Oh ya, they noticed they were the ONLY teenagers in the place. But, the little boys in them came out and they looked like they were having fun clowning around with the characters.

We live about 1/2 hour away and love to come to Disney once a year and stay at one of the hotels for the weekend. I'd definitely come back to PP. I really do wish though that we could have used the GC pool. The pool on the property is just too small, too bad they don't have add on an adult section.

• Liked — Location, room upgrade, staff,
  • Disliked — elevators, small pool, no pool service
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Markmom18
Utah
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Husband, teenage son and myself stayed here for 4 nights. Wanted to be close to parks and have Disney amenities. Booked the Concierge level and upon checkin upgraded to suite with Park view.

Beds, furniture and view nice. Bathroom tolietries sub standard.
Concierge club had great snacks all day and good food at dinner time. Could get sodas, boxed juice and water all day. Concierge available from 8 am -8 pm

Easy walking distance to parks/Downtown Disney. Could use the Grand Californian entrance to get into parks. Laundry self serve available only at Disneyland hotel.

Enjoyed the Mandara spa while boys had father/son time. Typical spa experience from Steiner (cruiseship spa provider).

Watch for the nightly "resort fee", not advertised, incudes the use of parking, internet access, etc.-not part of room price. Internet was speedy. Concierge level does have computer in lounge for use, if you didnt bring your own.

Save your money on food by visiting the other side of the park, on Harbor Blvd for McDonalds, Mimi's Cafe, etc. Park food, as always, 2-3 times more $$$ than elsewhere.

• Liked — close to parks
  • Disliked — bathrooms amenities
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Utahnloves2travel
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed April 19, 2008

My wife I and stayed here for a 4 night stay. I am not going to say that there weren't some small problems with our stay but the Disney magic out weighs those negatives. The location to the two parks is worth the extra money of staying on the Disney property. I don't know how most people travel to Disneyland but when I go to Disneyland I open the park and close the park. I don't spend by days in my hotel room watching TV. Is that wrong?

The best way to get into the parks is through the Grand Californian lobby and into California Adventures. We timed our walk from the entrance to Disneyland through California Adventures and through the Grand Californian to the Hotel and it took us 7 minutes. Also staying at the hotel gives us the opportunity to take the monorail into the park earlier than the other people, which was really nice.

The pool and the hot tub were both on the small side but most of the time we used for just a short dip. It was just nice to sit by the pool and relax. The slide was pretty fun too!

The one big problem that really made us upset was the fact that we reserved a single bed and they gave us a double beds. We checked in very early and should not have been given what were reserved. When we complained to the front desk, they said they couldn't do anything for us. So what we did was walk over to the Disneyland Hotel and we told the manager our situation. She was very nice called over to the PP manager and was able to get us an upgrade on the 14th floor for free. It is really awesome to know that you are staying in a more expensive room than you paid for.

We loved our stay and we can't wait to go back, whether it is at a Disney Hotel or a neighboring hotel.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank slider30
San Rafael, CA
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I stayed here with my 10-year old daughter April 6-10 on a package deal booked through Costco on-line (and then thru Disney). I was pleasantly surprised - as I previously stayed at the Disneyland hotel and was disappointed. We arrived Sunday at about 2 PM - short line to check in - extremely proficient check-in with detailed information provided including how to use the Disney gift cards. She recommended I charge everything to my room and pay off with gift cards at check out (and add'l credit card if needed). I asked for a room with a view of California Adventures and they gladly accomodated me with a free upgrade. We were on the 12th floor and liked taking the glass elevator up!

The rooms were well appointed - 2 comfie queen beds & sofa bed (didn't try this out), a small (but just right size) refrigerator and safe. Water pressure was a little low in shower and toilet sometimes wouldn't shut off (I took the cover off and manually shut it off), and surf-theme throughout. The view was quite impressive! Could even see the 5 PM parade exit through park gate (as they kept dancing).

Loved the PCH restaurant - got the Lilo & Stitch breakfast with my package and it was the best breakfast buffet I have had - included grilled salmon, an omelette bar, bacon, all sorts of fresh fruit, mickey-shaped waffles, oatmeal, juices, etc. Service was excellent - and the characters were fun. It was much less hectic and less crowded than the Goofy breakfast at Disneyland. Highly recommended! We also ate here for dinner one night and I told them we were in a hurry (to get back to CA adventures before they closed at 8 PM), and we were obliged and food was better than in Downtown Disney or in the parks.

We visited the pool, hot-tub, and enjoyed the high open-tube slide (as the lifeguard says everyone - including a 51-year old mom - is a kid at Disneyland). It was a little crowded, with lots of kids, but they had plenty of towels, chase lounges, etc. The pool bar/restaraunt is only open after Memorial Day and the hot tub was shaded (I would have preferred some sun). Very convenient - no need to trudge through the lobby in a wet suit or a long walk as you might encounter at the other Disney hotels.

We found quickest way to parks was through Grand California Hotel, which they are adding on too & we got lost in a few times. The first day we tried the Monorail in Downtown Disney - but it was a long wait! They only have one operating car - others are on order and should be in soon. This was a dissapointment as one of the Disney hotels perks is to get in early & using the Monorail was the one thing I liked at Disneyland hotel. One early morning entrance - it was clear that it would be more than a 2 car wait - so we walked to entrance and long lines there. They open park an hour before stated opening time (even for early entrance), but they don't let you past Main Street. But, it did pay to get there early - after 11 AM it was way too crowded. It was spring break for us and lots of others we met, but Disney only had longer spring break hours for week after Easter.

Also liked the small bar/deli and store in lobby. They had small pints of milk for $1.59 each and water was $2.55 - cheaper than park. There was another store we found near entrance to downtown Disney that had large bottles of milk for $2.5. We didn't have a car - took Super Shuttle to hotel - and we brought cereal, bowls, spoons, & lots of snacks with us. Came home from park and gladly payed $7 for beer !

Was unable to see fireworks from pool deck as the night I planned to do so they were cancelled due to high winds. We did see inside the park right in front of the castle and it was awesome (cannot believe I had never watched them from there before - best spot).

We ate in Downtown Disney 3 nights - Rainbow Cafe - my daughter liked atmosphere - but food was not to my liking. Also ate at ESPN zone (great BBQ chicken) and fun to play games. Also ate at Naples - but this was a dissappointment - better option would have been the takeout counter. Didn't realize until last night that I had a Downtown Disney discount card that would have gotten me free kids meal or 10% off!

Went down to settle my charges night before we were to leave and I got a little flak about using my Disney gift cards to "pay hotel charges" - but I asked that they speak with a manager as I was specifically told on check-in that this was okay (and they weren't all hotel charges). It all worked out okay!

Will write more Disneyland tips in blog!

I would go back to this hotel again & again. The convenience and ease were worth the extra money for staying in a Disney hotel! Only negatives were last night there were some noisy people next door (who takes a shower at 11 PM??).

Stayed April 2008
5 Thank babygame
california
Reviewed April 13, 2008

Watch out, bed bugs in room 427. The staff was not helpful in the situation. There was not great concern on the hotel's part. The rest of the experience was fine, but the big red itchy welts were not a fun going away present.

Stayed April 2008