“It was okay.....”

Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Layton, Utah
“It was okay.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I got this hotel on hotels.com as a last minute purchase. I paid $79 which was pretty spendy considering the hotel is not that great. It is very old and definitely needs some updating such as new comforters (cigarette hole in one of them). There was no toiletries provided except soap and no hair dryer. On the upside they did have a fridge, microwave, flat screen tv and there was no fee for internet. So if you are just looking for a place to stay close to Disneyland and the Anaheim Convention Center it will do, just don't expect a nice hotel. Also walls are very thin and we had people going in and out with screaming children at 2:00am. They did have a small pool but it was closed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cljensen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Arrived for Disneyland trip and discovered a filthy room with bad lighting and a door that did not close properly. Our group made a decision that we were not comfortable staying at this place. In a few minutes, we decided we wanted to leave and sought a refund, which was contractually within our rights since we were back in the front office within an hour. The guy at the front desk went to the room, discovered someone had used the bathroom once due to a few inches of toilet paper being torn off, and would only refund us $20 from the first night's charges. In the end, it was worth taking the hit just to have the Riviera in the rear view mirror as we headed directly across the street to the Super 8 which was MUCH nicer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bill G
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have to start off with three very big caveats: 1) We have been coming to Anaheim for close to 20 years...we know the area very well, and had a very good idea of what kind of place we were staying in and where it was located, 2) We were NOT staying for any length of time this trip (just one night, actually), 3) We are two 50-something adults who were not traveling with children, and who were not going to Disneyland on this trip. So please read this review with these caveats in mind.

We chose the Riviera for our stay as a stopping-off point on our trip from Phoenix to our home near Santa Cruz, primarily because we were looking for a cheap place in Anaheim, which is kind of a second home for us. Initial impressions pretty much stood up to what we'd expected. It's clearly an older property, probably dating from the 50s/60s, when the Disneyland main gate was located on Katella. In fact, it looks like it may have originally been part of the same property as the next-door Little Boy Blue (similar construction; shared entry/exit, etc.). Standard American moter court, with rooms opening on to the parking lot.

When we arrived, our reservations were all in order. The very nice Indian gentleman handled our check-in efficiently, and made sure we had the remotes for the TV and the password for the free wi-fi.

Our room (206) was a single king on the second floor. My first thought, when we arrived, was "Whoa...seriously dated!" The carpet, the paint, the bedcovers, all seemed to be from the late 60s/early 70s. Even the room key (an early key card, with holes for tumblers rather than a magnetic stip) seemed to come from the 70s, at the latest. The carpet and the quilted bedspread reminded me forcibly of the cheap motels my family stayed in in the late '60s. And the room was oddly set up...the big bed was shoved all the way into the corner of the room, with no room at all for a nightstand on the far side, and a lot of room was seemingly left over for the small table and dresser.

The whole set-up left me a bit worried about the cleanliness of the place...but a bit of checking (and sniffing) proved that the bed and bedding were perfectly clean. The floor, while not terribly even, was clean also. The shutters over the windows seemed a bit claustrophobic at first, but they grew on me when I realized that they made it possible to let light into the room without allowing passersby to see into the room...a real plus.

The room featured a nice, big, mini-fridge (a plus for us, as we normally eat breakfast in our room, and like to be able to keep milk fresh) and a microwave (worked fine). The bathroom included a wash stand, toilet, tub, and shower (more about these in a bit). The TV worked well, got good reception, and got a reasonable variety of channels. Wi-fi worked great! Self-controlled air conditioning was a plus, but it was extremely noisy. Not a bit problem for us, traveling at the beginning of March, but it could be a problem for people traveling in the summer.

As I said, the room was a bit oddly set up. There was a lot of floor space, which could be nice if you're traveling with the kind of group that needs to be able to spread out sleeping bags! It's more problematic if you need electrical connections. There were only two outlets in our room, and only one was actually readily available. Fortunately, both our laptops were fully charged, and we were able to take turns recharging our phones. The lack of reading lamps on either side of the bed was a bit of a problem...not a big deal for us, at this point in time, but if you like to read at night without bothering your partner, it may be an issue.

Another issue was the lack of storage. There was no closet or storage alcove. A small shelf and clothes pole (visible in some of the pictures I've posted), and the dresser were the only places to leave your clothes or luggage.

I also have to say that the bed was pretty hard. We woke up a bit stiff the next morning.

I'm glad we didn't need the pool, as it was closed when we were there. It's stuck in the middle of the parking lot, and not particularly nice looking (see picture), so if it's important, you may want to keep that in mind.

A bit about location (you're hearing this from someone who has spent a lot of time in Anaheim): It pays to remember that "blocks" in Anaheim are at least twice as long as normal city blocks. This motel was clearly built, as I said, when the main entry to Disneyland was on Katella. In "real world" blocks, you have about about eight blocks worth of walking to get from the motel to the entrance to Disneyland, California Adventure, and Downtown Disney. It's very doable...flat, safe, and well-populated...but it's not the "right around the corner" situation you may be thinking of from the description. It is, however, directly across the street from the Anaheim Garden Walk shopping center, and right around the corner from assorted restaurants and convenience stores.

As far as breakfast goes, my husband did go down to the lobby at breakfast time and confirmed that coffee and pastries are available. If you want more, you'll need to bring it or buy it.

One thing I do think they need to fix: The shower floor looks as if it were texturized to prevent slipping, but the reality is it's very, very slippery. They need to fix that, or include shower mats.

Another thing to bear in mind: The walls are very thin, and in the morning, it can be very loud. If you're there for Disneyland, really, that shouldn't be a problem Disneyland is not a "lie in bed until I feel like getting up" destination. In fact, you really need to be up and in line by 7:00 to really experience the parks. If you're just passing through and want to lie in for a bit, however, it's something to keep in mind.

Bottom line? If you're doing Disneyland on the cheap, this is a reasonable possibility. If you're sharing floor space with other people, it's definitely worth considering. If you're just passing a night, it's OK. If you're spending several days in the area, and have a bit more to spend, you might be better off at the Alpine, the Jolly Rodger, or the Anaheim Plaza.

Room Tip: There are no elevators, so if you have mobility issues, ask for a room on the bottom floor. Very lit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank RedwolfCalifornia
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had been staying at the Riviera for years. The owner, Jack, and his wife were lovely people and were always hospitable and kept a great place to stay while visiting Disneyland. Well, Jack is gone now, and I couldn't even check in this year for my 5-night reservation. Their machine would not take my credit card. I called my credit card company on the spot and they said that it wasn't my card, but the motel's transaction machine was not recording and sending the card swipe. The person at the counter wasn't much help. I'm sure we had a language barrier to begin with, but she kept insisting on "cash for the first night" until her husband returned later to try and fix things. I offered my debit card for the first night and she wouldn't even swipe it. At this point, my hunch was that someone wasn't paying a connection fee for the credit card machine. I was tired. I wanted to check in. After several attempts, I just grabbed my stuff and went to another hotel for my trip. I will never return.

Room Tip: Go next door to the Little Boy Blue. Great value, great staff, no hassle.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Smudge R
Oakland, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

I seriously do not understand the great reviews of this place. Even without the bedbugs, it is still kind of a dump. I go down to Disneyland 4 or 5 times a year and always stay at cheap motels, and have never had so many problems as this.

Basically I woke up COVERED in bites. I was headed to a wedding and had to rush out for antihistamine, cordaid, and a floor length dress and sweater to wear to wear in 95 degree heat. The hotel won't refund my money - they said that since we didn't report the bites while we were there, they can't do a refund. I had never had bedbugs before, and had no idea that's what they were until I returned home and had a nurse look at them. My friend brought them back to his house and now will have to pay hundreds to exterminate.

We also ended up with an extra person and the manager asked me for $20 extra for her to park and stay, and that didn't include a cot. He only took cash and wouldn't give me a receipt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SnowTess
Gillette, Wyoming
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

The room was minimal but when you're so busy site seeing and not spending time in there, it doesn't really matter.
The location was fantastic; located close to food, stores, and the park.
I traveled 6 months pregnant and had no issues with the distances walking from the hotel. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My trip involved coming to Disneyland with a handful of friends from all over the US. The Riviera motel was not only ideally placed for Disneyland goers (not too close to the park to disturb your sleep but within 5 minutes walking to the main gate, near the Gardenwalk restaurants and car rentals), the owners were incredibly helpful and accommodating to our varying check in/check out times, luggage holding and everything else we asked of them. The rooms come at a GREAT value, they are clean and well taken care of with all the amenities including fridge and WiFi. The only complaint to be had was that there was construction occurring next door on the last 2 days of our trip, and there was occasional noise as a result. I would stay here again for this type of trip easily.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends