“Not the worst place ever, but never again”
Review of Anaheim Marriott

Anaheim Marriott
Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Not the worst place ever, but never again”
Reviewed March 18, 2008

I recently stayed here while on business. I would not suggest to stay at this hotel until a refurbishment of the hotel has been done. Here are my observations... the front desk was not friendly. The lobby is nice. It is a quick trip to the convention center from the hotel if that is the reason you are in Anaheim, the carpet in the room is well worn, the room is small, the bathroom had an old dirty look to it, the bed was comfortable, the gym was really small... there are so many other options I would take a pass on this property next time I am in Anaheim.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dirty Floors and Dark Hallways
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed March 8, 2008

I stayed at this place because work was paying for the room while I attended a conference. I'm basing my rating on my expectations given the price I would have had to pay ($240++) had I chosen to extend my extra night here rather than at the Doubletree/Orange-Anaheim, which is where I eventually stayed ($110). I can only guess that they get a lot of business from conference attendees with special rates given to organizers (my bill did note a rate close to half of the then-going rate). Otherwise, I don't get why someone would pay the asking rate for this place (and the $240 was with a AAA discount, the best I could find).
There's nothing terribly wrong about this place, but this is really just your basic AAA 3-diamond facility which is charging 4* prices. For a good comparison, please refer also to my review of the Doubletree which I'll be submitting soon. Basically, the room at this Marriott was substantially smaller. The desk was smaller and less comfortable to work with (as was the chair). There were fewer amenities (the Doubletree had a fridge and microwave, and it also provided a bathrobe, plus the famous chocolate chip cookie, of course).
In addition, this hotel charges $20/d for parking, whereas I wasn't charged at the Doubletree. Internet costs $13/d, which I got for free at the Doubletree as a Hilton Gold member. My Doubletree rate also had a buffet breakfast included.
The gym at this Marriott is a chore to get to. Only one of the elevators in one of the towers goes to it (it's in the basement). One has to put one's key in a slot and then push down to get there, but by the time one can do it, other guests will have selected their floors (which don't require a key), so each time one wants to go to the gym, one effectively has to go all the way up and down the tower. The gym is nice, however, with individual monitors and headsets (the Doubletree has a similar setup). One plus of this gym is a fruit basket (not found at the Doubletree), although there is obviously no view as the Doubletree has.
Moving outside, the view was better at the Doubletree (closer view to the Crystal Cathedral). The pool is slightly larger at the Marriott but nothing special. The landscaping at the Doubletree was the more pleasant of the two.
When I drove up to the front after my conference to pick up my luggage, which had been stored by the bellman (at the front), the parking attendant ran off with my keys, even though it was clear that getting my luggage would only take some 90 seconds. I wasn't blocking anyone (plenty of room to go around), so I didn't see how running off with my keys could be helpful (especially since I was staying by the car--did she think I was going to take off?).
So I'm really stumped as to why this place charges so much. There's nothing to distinguish it from a 3* facility: no HD TV in the rooms, no fancy pool with a swim-up bar or a slide, no extra comfort or amenities in the room. Although I didn't use it, I understand from other reviews that even the shuttle to Disneyland is infrequent and inconvenient. I think one can do a lot better for the $$ in a major market like Anaheim.

• Liked — Common areas, including the handsome but difficult to access gym
  • Disliked — Smaller rooms with no frills and small desk, ample extra charges
3 Thank lebelgo
Folsom, California
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I was in Anahem for a conference, and from the beginning the service wasn't up to par. Our room was mostly acceptable. It was the restaurant downstairs and the exorbitant internet prices plus the overall lack of attention to detail that was disappointing. Instead of charging a reasonable fee per hour, internet is charged per day from noon to noon. We needed to get online to work on a Friday, and since it was only 10:00, we had to pay two full days' fees for access from 10:00 AM to midnight. Ridiculous. Parking fees are $20 per day for hotel guests. The ice machine had bacterial goo in it. We discovered this after we'd gotten ice, and it had melted with this grayish blob floating around in it. The Cafe Del Sol had horrendous service on the two occasions that we ate there. On the first occasion, it was Friday night during Lent. They were woefully understaffed for the size of the conference being hosted in the hotel. We put our name in at the host station in the hotel lobby. Two parties walked up after we did, got impatient, walked back down the hall into the restaurant and got seated. Finally we got seated after about 35 minutes. We ordered the fish and chips only to be told they were sold out. during Lent, no less The waitress did her best to take our order, but she was very slow and even had the nerve to try to upsell appetizers to us knowing she wasn't able to serve us drinks on time nor provide us with the meatless meal we desired to consume. The glassware and silverware were disgusting. There were smudges and lipstick marks on the water glasses. The next day, we returned for breakfast. Though we were seated sooner, the flatware and glassware weren't any cleaner and the service was still slow. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. Strange that the turn-down service included chocolates on the pillow -- but we only ever got one for two people. We were on the concierge level and were supposed to have access to the concierge lounge, but it was closed for nearly all of our visit. They never left us breakfast cards except for the first night we stayed, and we did end up having room service that following morning. Very odd. One plus was that the hotel offered discount evening only tickets to Disneyland, so we were able to go over to the park and enjoy it without blowing a full-day's admission on a seven hour visit.

Beyond that, this hotel should offer free wireless access. Lesser hotels do. With what they're charging for the rooms, they should be able to keep the dishes clean and have enough staff on hand to serve their guests and maintain the cleanliness appropriately. $20 for parking for hotel guests is highway robbery. There's no reason to charge that much other than greed. Marriott has a lot to learn in the area of customer service. Hugely disappointing and a waste of money all around.

• Liked — Discount Disney tickets; decent room view
  • Disliked — Filth, lack of attenntion to detail
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Parizienne
Argyle, NY
Reviewed February 17, 2008

I just returned from a 2 week stay in this hotel as I was there on business. The hotel was very nice but I was disappointed that you needed to pay extra to have internet service. They had NO frills or complementary services what so ever. Would free WI FI really of killed them? Prices at this hotel were very expensive. A steak dinner was $41.00 needless to say it was a bit out of my price range but they had many wonderful more affordable restaurants within walking distance. Rooms were very nice. I had a king size bed and a balcony they were not huge rooms , but very comfortable. Bathrooms were sort of small, but being I was the only one on this trip it was adaquit.

I would recomend this hotel but wish that they were a bit more giving especially with the internet. $12.50 per day was just insane!!!

I also had problems recieving my reward point as I did not want to use a credit card... I am still working on that matter. Hopefully they will take care of this.

Overall this was a nice place and was a very pretty clean hotel.

• Liked — Clean and safe especially traveling alone
  • Disliked — over priced internet
3 Thank EllinLu2
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 15, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks for an annual business training session. We always use Marriott properties, but this is our first time in Anehiem.

My guest room was an accessible room. It was by far the smallest accessible room I've ever stayed in at a Marriott property. The room could not have accomodated a wheelchair to the outside pool area although there was a patio door to this area. Also it would have been difficult to get around the room in all areas except the bathroom. There was no safe in the room, according to the man at check-in, BECAUSE it was accessible . I would think this would warrant a safe, being the only other option for valuables was a safety deposit box at the front desk. There was no closet in the room, only an armoire with FOUR hangers. There was no full length mirror. (Sorry but not all of us who use accessible rooms are in a wheelchair.)

My biggest complaints were : (1) every time I left the room to walk onto the patio the door latch would fall and lock me out. I had to make three calls to security during my stay to get back into my room. The response from security was "be happy you aren't on a balcony..all the patio doors do this...it could be worse you could have to call down until someone heard you!" (2) the cleanliness of the room. on my arrival the room was dirty. spills on the fronts of furniture, the arms of chairs. My sheets were not changed during my entire stay. the bathroom area had water spots in and on the sink when I arrived and they were never cleaned during my entire stay. If I kept a glass from room service it sat for days in the room before it was removed.

The room had an armchair but no table. Since I was there for work, the desk was being used which meant each time I had room service my food was placed on the bed. There was an accumulation of dust on the base of the lamps, along the edges of the walls. the paper in the room was stained and dirty. the phones in the room were just filthy. for a hotel who claims to have gone through a major rennovation, this is unacceptable. My room was a garden room. The chaise lounges outside my room were dirty and stained, as was the table between them. The patio door was never cleaned.

One thing I noticed was the poor service. Complaints were met with more of a "why don't you stop bothering me" than the usual Marriott "at your service" qualities I'm used too. The food was poor in every area, the restaurants as well as the food that was brought by the catering staff for our lunches. If I never see broccolini again it will be too soon. Portions were small and presentation wasn't appetizing. Wait staff in Degrees was just terrible. At each visit we had to flag someone down repeatedly and then when our server finally arrived he/she acted as if we had interrupted something important.

If given the choice I would choose a different property in the area. This hotel would only be acceptable for VERY short stays.

• Disliked — the lack of cleanliness
3 Thank Mona60
Fresno
Reviewed January 17, 2008

We stayed here for a cheer competition. It was fabulous! If you need to get to the convention Center like we did, it's only a very, very short and pretty walk. The hotel was wonderful and so pretty. Having a Starbucks and Pizza Hut located in the lobby was an added plus! Our next trip to Disneyland we will definitly be staying here again!

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank Onthegomom3
Vancouver BC
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Clean hotel with good transfers to Disneyland Park
Old hotel with a new lobby to give the feeling of new on the outside. Rooms are dated with simple upgrades.
Breakfast buffet was good value for a family of 4.
They have no hook up for protable DVD players leaving only to have to purchase movies or watch off ones 9 inch player.

Stayed December 2007