“Very poor experience, hard to even believe”

Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
westcoast
“Very poor experience, hard to even believe”
Reviewed November 20, 2007

This company was a terrible experience. I had reservations with them and they canceled them 5 days out (literally). Now, you would think that if they are canceling our reservations because they cannot put us up, they would do something for us. Maybe they would give us a similar rate at one of their other numerous properties, maybe make a reservation at another location for the same rate as their property but NO. In fact, they did nothing. They were nice, but they did nothing to help the situation except to say it was an issue beyond their control and what could I expect them to do? Well I politely informed them I expected them to assist us in acquiring a room rate at the amount they already obligated us to paying and hold themselves to the same agreement we were being held to. No go. They canceled our reservations and now I'm stuck finding a place with only a few days left, most hotels sold out and everything more expensive. Great customer service. Deal with them at your own risk.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank familytraveler37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2007

Stayed here for five nights while attending a conference at the convention centre, chosen primarily for price & location from a list of conference hotels, and then was somewhat concerned when I later read reviews. Overall, I wasn't unhappy with my choice given I primarily needed a comfortable spot to sleep, shower & do a bit of work.

Positives:
- I was upgraded to a spacious top floor family room, although I was travelling alone
- huge dressing area with large vanity
- polite, almost to a fault, front desk staff
- convenient location - to convention centre and to Disney
- very quiet, even though near the elevator

Negatives:
- not convenient for business - I had to use a small round table for my lap top and there was no plug close by (unless I unplugged the fridge) so had to move the lap top to charge the battery
- my room was not cleaned on my second day in. I flagged it with the front desk, and asked that it definitely be cleaned the following day. But when I returned it had still not been cleaned (48 hours after check in). When flagged again with the front desk, cleaners arrived within 10 minutes.

If travelling again for the same purpose, I would likely choose a more typical business class hotel. But really can't say there were any major problems with my stay.

Stayed June 2007
Salt Lake City
Reviewed November 4, 2007

We booked this hotel before reading the reviews on this website. After we read the reviews, we were horrified that we were going to have an awful time. We had stayed at the Marriott Suites on our prior trip to Disney in 2005 and had high expectations. We have three boys: aged 12, 8, and1. To our relief, this hotel was fantastic. They allowed us to check in early, cleaned our room daily, and the accommodations were great. The bed was comfortable, the televisions worked, and there was no lingering smell anywhere. The only smell we encountered was when the hotel was being cleaned, but it went away. The walk to Disney was nothing!!! If people complain about that walk, they have serious fitness issues and the walk in the park will be much more taxing. We never used our transportation passes because the walk was so much more convenient and we were able to walk home for midday rests when needed at no difficulty. The doors separating the kids room from parents were not all that functional, but we were tired and it was a family vacation, so we never expected too much in the way of privacy anyway. We would stay again and we are picky!

• Liked — Room with fridge, microwave, two televisions and kid area & close to Disneyland
  • Disliked — no legitimate complaints
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank JosieErick
West Jordan
Reviewed October 25, 2007

I booked the hotel nearly 7 months prior to our stay and then saw all the reviews. I was extremely nervous after reading them because of the vast number of "hate" reviews about this hotel. After staying at the hotel for 4 nights I must share the following: Overall we had a great time staying in the Portofino Inn and Suites and absolutely loved our kid suite. I guess I could be picky like everyone else and complain about a nick in the wall or a room that had doors that a bit tough to close but I will not. The room was large in size and the concept of a seperate kid’s room is brilliant and one that more Disneyland hotels should do. The house keeping was wonderful giving us more than adequate fresh towels each day and the check in and checkout staff was very helpful and answered all of our questions. The room was very clean upon check in and the air conditioning kept the room at a perfect temperature. The fridge was a great asset to the room and allowed us to keep snacks and cold drinks for our day at the park. The walk to Disneyland was 12 min and very manageable for even our younger kids.

I do agree with past reviews in that the website pictures make the hotel appear like a 5 star hotel which it is not. However the room was fun for the kids which kept us happy in the end.

• Liked — The Kids Suite
  • Disliked — The size of the pool
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank natedogWestJordan
New Zealand
Reviewed October 13, 2007

It is always frustrating to be quoted a rate - in our case $129 per night to then get a bill for much more - IE - the quoted rate was then plus $21.00 tax plus $4.95 resort fee plus .74c room tax - each day of our stay. Therefore our bill was for 20% more than quoted - why they can't quote an all inclusive rate is beyond me - maybe they are misleading customers.

Our Kids suite was ok - but the air conditioning was too noisy to have on at night and for some reason there are no proper curtains in the kids room - just net curtains that don't block out any light.

It was noisy from the floor above also.

Overall it was ok - the location was good and the Staff were friendly enough.

Other Hotels seem to have free wireless internet - Portofino has a free desktop at reception for Guest use - but wireless in your room was $9.95 for 24 hours.

Kids were in the pool each day and enjoyed that.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Air conditioning too loud and no curtains in kids room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2007

A picture is worth a thousand words, and the Portofino Inn & Suites definitely isn't! I've stayed at this hotel with my girlfriend for 9 nights and the experience was less than subpar. Our stay was in 2005, and while their web site has been updated, their site is still showcasing the exact same deceiving images of the rooms!

The check-in procedure was pretty straightforward. The staff were friendly and we did not have trouble locating our room. We made our stay at the King Suite. Our entry was greeted with an organized array of furnitures, much like how the pictures at the Portofino web site depicts. However, the room was not nearly as bright nor as vibrant as those in the pictures. That was disappointing, but wasn't too much of a bother. But once we dropped our belongings and ventured into the room, we noticed a few eye sores immediately.

For one, the wallpaper in our room was peeling and flaking on multiple areas. The French door they speak of is very flimsy and pathetic. The screen that runs down the French door is very transparent, providing absolutely no privacy in the bed room. If you have guests and would like to enjoy some privacy, you will need to remove some of the window covers from the bed room windows and hang them over the French doors to preserve some privacy (they are hung onto the window support with removable hooks); that's what we did.

The sheets and blanket on the king bed were very "dry" and they gave me skin irritation. The bed portion of the sofa-bed is very worn and uncomfortable.

The toilet flushes very slowly and the sink also drain just as slow. The good thing about this hotel is its location. It's right across a 7-11 mini mart, 1 block from Disneyland and a few minutes' walk from the Anaheim convention center, and restaurants are simply a few walk away.

The Portofino Inn has the potential to be an extravagant hotel if the owners cleaned it up and give it a nice facelift. Maybe it once was! It seems like the hotel has been neglected since the late 90's.

For the price we paid, this could've been a better experience. It feels like a Motel 6 in essence, but more than 3 times the price. Unfortunately since our stay was in 2005, I did not take better pictures of the room. I wasn't a member of TripAdvisor until late 2006.

The hotel looks great from the outside. It absolutely does! The lobby also looks fantastic. Too bad our room did not live up to its hype. In all honesty, I do not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The peeling wallpaper, the transparent French doors, and the slow flushing toilet and slow draining sink
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank oo63
CALGARY
Reviewed September 30, 2007

We stayed in a kid's suite from Sept 23 to Sept 28th. Overall, we found this hotel to be clean and decent. The hot tub was a little gross on our 4th night, but likely because it had received heavy usage. The room was clean, the drain in the bathtub was a little on the slow side, but nothing major. Good water pressure, always important! The kingsize bed was a little on the soft side, but certainly doable. The kids loved the bunk beds with their own reading lights. We loved the french doors that separated the kids area from ours once the kids were asleep.
The distance to Disneyland was about a 10 minute walk, shuttles were available for a small fee, but we didn't feel the need to use them.
Would stay again.