“9th Birthday Trip”

Ranked #2 of 152 things to do in Anaheim
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the place where imagination is the destination. For young and old, big and small — it's the happiest place on earth! Come build memories with your family that last a lifetime as you discover the wonder of this magical, fantastical world. When you enter the lands that comprise Disneyland Park, stories come to life around you, immersing you in tales from some of your favorite Disney films.
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I've always heard that Florida's Disney World is better than Disney Land. Disney World is a bigger park, I guess the bonus to Disney Land is being in California and enjoying some of the other sites. My daughter had a good time nonetheless.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

For the first time in probably a decade I went to the Disneyland resort in Anaheim, CA. Although I live within 10 miles of the place I had stayed away due the extreme costs involved even when taking in account the Southern California resident discounts that are offered. But we now have a young grandson living with us so we have bit the bullet and purchased annual passes. Without a doubt the best way to enjoy the park is through the eyes of a child.

Some things to note; if you're coming during the summer be aware that it is always crowded, but Saturdays and Sundays are extremely crowded. There are long lines for every popular ride. If possible try and visit during the week. Either way take full advantage of the FastPass option for the busiest rides. FastPass allows you to bypass the long lines for a greatly reduced wait time.

If you're going to be in the area for only one day you will want to purchase the Park Hopper ticket allowing you to enjoy both Disneyland Park and California Adventure. If you're planning on spending a couple of days at the resort then multiple day tickets are the right choice. Of course if you live in the area then consider the annual passes. They have a number levels with the least expensive having a lot of blackout days. If you get the annual pass include parking on at least on pass (an extra charge except on the premium pass). Currently parking is $16 for autos. If staying for just a couple of hours you can also park at Downtown Disney which is free parking for the first three hours. However, the cost jumps pretty quickly once you’re there beyond the three hours.

The one issue I have with the attraction is, as mentioned before, the extreme cost involved. Currently for a one-day, one-park ticket it's $92 per person. For a one-day Park Hopper it's $137. Children 3-9 are a little less ($86 & $131) and children under three are free. But for an out-of-town family of four you're talking between $356 - $536 just to walk in the place. That doesn't include parking, food & drinks, souvenirs, etc. Again that is for just one day. Being this is Southern California there are other attractions in the area, the best alternative being Knott's Berry Farm just a few miles down the freeway. Not as big or famous as Disneyland but still a blast. It is also much less expensive so you may want to consider a day there as well instead of tying up all your days at Disneyland.

Overall I highly recommend visiting the Disneyland Resort if you can comfortably afford it. It is a magical trip that can take you away from the troubles of the world, at least for a short time.

1  Thank ArchieMYL
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was warned of the legendary queues, so I made sure I got there by 8 am (on a Monday in July). I think the crowds were at the California Adventure Park instead because I went on all the must-see rides by 10 am! This included Star Tours, Finding Nemo, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Haunted Mansion. It may have helped that I was a single rider which meant I could jump the queue to fill in the odd empty seats.

Mr Lincoln was an impressive animatronic, but the Glory Glory Hallelujah number at the end seemed a bit over the top (we Kiwis are less theatrical when it comes to patriotism).

Innoventions was a let-down. The tech was so 6 months ago, and some of the software was less impressive that stuff I’ve seen on a smartphone (e.g. the Aging Booth). The media center in the House of the Future was broken, and the house itself was just a boring show home. The Iron Man armors from the movies were the only real draw, although the virtual Iron Man simulator seemed no more polished than a Kinect game.

Took a train trip around the park, mainly to have somewhere to sit down as my feet were aching. I really wish there was a foot massage service here.

It’s a Small World was an essential Disney experience, but the exterior of the building was incongruously grotty, with rust rivets, bubbling paint, and naff faded colors. It seemed strange to see such an iconic ride in such disrepair, especially as other equally old rides, like Mr Toad, Snow White, and Pinocchio, were still in good condition.

Fantasmic! was a great ending to the day, although I horribly underestimated how dense the crowd would be for this live performance. I somehow found a choice spot with a great view of movies projected onto a screen of water, a fire-breathing dragon, and Peter Pan battling on a pirate ship.

As I left the park I was asked to take a customer satisfaction survey. Complained about the white lettuce stalks in my salad, but otherwise gave glowing feedback. In retrospect, I wish I thought to ask for a foot massage service.

1  Thank Johngrimesh
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I visited Disneyland for the first time when I was 16. First impressions stick. I'm 60 now and I have always seen Disneyland the way I saw it that very first time. It's magical and it always brings out the kid in me. I'm glad I never got jaded over time. I used to live about 8 miles from there and could hear the fireworks every night . The last year I lived in California I finally got a season passport and it was a great investment. (Okay, I'm sure it's not $99 any more.) Parking paid for, and I could go any time of day or night without feeling rushed. I've probably been there well over a hundred times yet I terribly miss that magical escape. My family's gone from California, but I've gotta get back to LA one of these days at least to see the ocean and "the happiest place on earth."

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It was great! Our 7 year old loved it. Lines were not too bad! It gets chilly at night even in July!