“Spa Does Not A Resort Make!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in American Canyon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A short drive from downtown Napa, but a LONG way from Napa valley spa accommodations.
This hotel may have been state of the art and eco advanced when built, but today it is tired and not well maintained. The spa is very small and services are severely limited by appearances. The restaurant is a bright spot in the overall experience. Our Hilton Diamond member complimentary breakfast from the buffet was fresh, ample, and hot. Choices were common chain hotel menu items. Service was excellent on the a Memorial Day weekend.
We arrived with a reservation and late in the day after dinner, to a king room on the 2nd floor "lake/lagoon" side. On first inspection, we found the room to be clean and adequate. N the next few moments, we discovered there were no towels, only a couple of washcloths in the bathroom!
Calling the front desk, we shortly received a compliment of towels from room service, with brief apologies.
I went into the bathroom to unpack some toiletries a bit later and had the feeling there was something else missing, but couldn't put my finger on it. Looking around to make sure there was toilet paper and soap, I realized what was missing- the shower curtain!! Another call to the front desk brought a cheerful room service person to the door with a shower curtain, who promptly put it up. He then asked if there was anything else we needed. (Yes! Sleep after a very busy day!). I said,"you are familiar with these rooms, do you see anything else missing?" He looked around VERY briefly and said it all looked fine.
At that point, I was relieved to find linens on the bed, but tried very hard not to imagine how many other people might have sleep there since they were last washed!
In the morning we saw the lagoon from our window. It was a disappointment. It looks dead. An attraction high lighted in their marketing material, is something where there are no inviting places to access the space for guests. No grassy edges or benches, no tables with a view near the restaurant.
To checkout we had to go to the front desk in another building, since our receipt was not provided to our room as is the custom of most hotels in the Hilton and Marriott chains.... And others.
I took the opportunity to point out our surprise at not having towels or bath curtain to the desk clerk. She apologized, but that was it. Her attitude gave me the feeling of being in one of those hotels where they don't have a good relationship with the owner or franchise, and don't expect you back. Probably true.
Some serious hospitality attention needs to be directed to this property by Hilton. Having their name on this place is doing them no favors!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Erik B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

I must sincerely apologize for the problems you experienced this past weekend. I can assure you, this is not indicative of the high level of service we endeavor to provide our guests. I am curious to know if you actually utilized our Spa. Spa Gaia may not be the largest spa in the valley but the services and treatments offered are comparable or in many cases superior to other spas in the area. I will be reaching out to you personally to further discuss you recent stay, I also want you to come back as my personal guest and let my team of hospitality professionals show you how truly exceptional we can be.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

vary nice personnel and decor clean -big rooms and energy eff. unique design comfy beds Nice pool and homey feel very accomodating and we would stay there again reasonable rates and food great, air conditioning better than usual rooms

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Please come back and visit us again very soon!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Dirty carpet, lumpy mattress, simple room, no channels, very, very small bathroom, no shampoo etc....it's in a clogged pump on the wall. Small pool. Crappy food at twice the price. And finally the service, you can keep up on how to get out of problems with DUI tickets and local gossip. They came to clean our room after 2pm while we were trying to get ready for a wedding. All for $340 for 2 nights. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennefer O

I am terribly sorry for the unpleasant stay you recently experienced. I can assure you, this is not typical at all, and of the high level of both service and accommodations we strive to deliver to our guests. I will be reaching out to you personally to further discuss your stay and to also invite you back as my personl guest. I intend for you to truly enjoy our property and all that it has to offer.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Good location, quiet and safe room, but average service. Clean and comfortable beds, free wireless internet, but the bathroom arrangement is inconvenient. Didn't use other facility, so could not review on that.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Erik B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

I do apologize that you found our service to be average. Quite honestly, we are constantly challenging ourselves to do it better. Our goal is to be the BEST in Napa Valley. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you and I can assure you, when you do, we will go out of our way to change that average to outstanding. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you – when making future reservations.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were lucky to find this gem of a place when our travel plans changed last minute- and it was a terrific deal! The checkin process was quick, the staff was friendly and we were given warm chocolate chip cookies upon arrival- definitely won me over. The rooms were very nice- large, clean and extremely comfortable… after a week of sleeping in hotels across California, I can honestly say that Double Tree had the most comfortable beds by far! Although the breakfast wasn’t included, for a minimal charge you could have a full breakfast buffet and omelets or eggs any style cooked to order- and it was awesome! This location was perfect- only about 10-15 minutes outside of downtown Napa area, and a terrific deal- considerably better pricing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We are lucky too! To have such wonderful guests staying with us. I am truly delighted that our accommodations, friendly staff and warm Chocolate Chip Cookies “won you over”! Please think of us again, the next time you travels take you to The Napa Valley. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed May 17, 2013

First -- it's a DoubleTree -- so who can complain about the cookies at check-in; Super-clean grounds; Restaurant & Spa on-site; but American Canyon is literally 10 minutes from downtown Napa or the start of the Silverado Trail - or the Carneros region. The best part is you don't have to pay Napa room rates. AWESOME!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

I am delighted you enjoyed our property. Yes, Downtown Napa, amazing wineries and the legendary Carneros region are just a moments away. In addition, heading west, you’ll discover Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is on five minutes from our front door. I do hope that you will return soon and we can possibly meet in person.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband recently had the pleasure of staying at the Doubletree in Napa. We were very satisfied with our accomodations. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. Nothing fancy, but a very nice property overall. The staff was very friendly - especially in the onsight restaurant. The grounds were quite nice and even relaxing - which was surprising because of the location on a busy roadway.
We ate in the restaurant onsight several times - the staff bent over backwards to make sure we were well taken care of.
We were in Napa to spend time touring the beautiful valley and winerys. This is the perfect place to start and end your day.
We did not make use of the pool or spa during our visit, so I can't make any comment on those parts of the property.
I would have no problem recommending this property to someone for a wine tasting excursion.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide positive feedback and an honest evaluation of our property and overall level of service. I am delighted you found the staff both friendly and accommodating. As you were unable to enjoy a treatment or two at our beautiful Spa Gaia, you will need to plan another trip very soon. When you do, please call the hotel directly and ask to speak with the General Manager; it will be my pleasure to personally assist you with your reservations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near American Canyon
Napa Winery Inn
Napa Winery Inn
#14 of 30 in Napa
Hampton Inn and Suites Napa

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon

Address: 3600 Broadway St, American Canyon, CA 94503-1259 (Formerly Gaia Napa Valley Hotel)
Location: United States > California > Napa Valley > American Canyon
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in American Canyon
Price Range: $101 - $252 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon 3.5*
The DoubleTree Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon hotel in northern California is the World's First LEED-Certified Hotel, located near hundreds of wineries in the Sonoma Valley - on Highway 29 at the gateway to Napa Valley (9 minutes from Napa). Relax at our on-site spa - Spa Gaia - or enjoy organic, locally-gathered meals at the Table 29 Bistro & Bar (also on-site). Our eco-friendly hotel includes a sparkling lagoon (suites with water views available), fitness room, outdoor pool, lounge/bar area, room service, multi-lingual staff and free parking (evening security provided). Host your wedding on our outdoor event deck with views of our sparkling Lagoon. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree By Hilton Hotel And Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon