“Great Value for the Area”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in American Canyon
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently stayed here for 2 days while sightseeing in Napa. The hotel was clean and only about 9 miles from downtown Napa. The price was phenomenal and couldn't be beat and since I didn't plan on spending much time in my room, aside from sleeping, I felt it was the best option. We took wine tours daily to the wineries and used this as a home base and it was great. It's a good inexpensive way to see Napa so you can save your money for those extra bottles of wine!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lis5556

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a nice place to stay for trips into Napa. I am not a fan of the whole "green" thing, but this was a good experience. The staff at check-in were a bit testy but after that were fine. The restaurant had really good food. The choices were not long but everything we had was very tasty and plentiful. Breakfast buffet was great!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed here 1 night before our arrival in Napa. Good service, nice large clean rooms, loved the cookies at check in. Had a 'green' twist to it that we liked, solar power and refillable soaps and lotions. Nice restaurant as well, great wine list and appetizers! Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you can't find a place in Napa, this is a good place to go as your "Plan B". Napa gets crazy busy at times, so good luck finding a nice place to stay unless you book far in advance. Plan B is American Canyon, the built-up stretch of Highway 29 between Vallejo and Napa.

Of the several American Canyon Hotels, the Doubletree / Hilton has the most unique exterior. It was, until recently, the Gaia Hotel. The restaurant still carries the name. It's LEED Gold certified, which will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside if you care about the planet. From a practical point of view, the only thing you'll notice is that they don't put out little bottles of shampoo and lotion for you to take home (unless you ask for them). The green / earth friendly heritage does show in the central lagoon and the plantings around the hotel. The lagoon is home to a pair of resident swans and a collection of local birds. The plantings are very nicely chosen and well-maintained California native plants. Most hotel guests won't notice that, but it's actually pretty well done.

There's a tiny pool, a hot tub / jacuzzi, and a few lounge chairs by the lagoon. It's nice, but it would get crowded pretty quickly with just a few people.

The rooms are standard hotel rooms. Not dull, not exciting. Our room had a tiny patio with a couple of chairs. Free WiFi was nice, since so many places try to soak you for that these days.

We had breakfast at the restaurant. The food was good and the service was excellent. We bought package that included breakfast with our room, so the meal only worked out to $10 each. An excellent value.

I'm setting the rating to 3 / 5 (Average), although it deserves a 3.5 "Above Average" rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for two nights. We were out there for wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma. Napa is close... but not close enough. Sonoma was 35 minutes away. It was a bit of a drive out to the wineries. And let me reiterate that there is NOTHING to do in American Canyon, you have to drive EVERYWHERE.

The hotel staff was nice enough and the room was OK. However, the AC was loud, the bathroom echoed and you could hear pipes and stuff working through the walls. They are apparently a "green" hotel, so that's nice. The buffet breakfast was decent.

No frills, nothing fancy though. And we didn't try the "spa" services, so I have no opinion on that.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the back of the property. The hotel faces the main road, but we were at...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cxguti
Reviewed November 2, 2012

More like rooms surrounding a mud hole. The wildlife is nice, but the atmosphere is not. This hotel is so isolated - and mis-advertised. The beds were comfortable, the restaurant was nice, the rooms were quiet. The pool was small but warm enough to swim...and that is where it ended. I was so disappointed because we planned to hang out more and read our books, but instead we left the hotel early and came "home" late.

We had advance reservations for 5 nights, unfortunately. When we realized we were three hours away from the airport in traffic, with a morning flight back to Boston after Hurricane Sandy, I went to the front desk (and also called the Hilton Honors number) to stay the last night at the airport Doubletree. No one would move an inch: I had prepaid and I knew it. Read my small print.

I have always loved Doubletrees and Hilton, but apparently management has changed and customer satisfaction is not important.

Room Tip: Stay in Napa Valley, not Napa or American Canyon. American Canyon is just a roadside strip mall, not...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathymcc613
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here not for the Napa Valley wine tasting (although you could very well do that) I was on my way to Infineon race track for some car racing. First of all if you're going to the track from this hotel on a weekday morning, it backs up on hwy 37 going West from about 7am. Plan accordingly. Now on to the hotel. I checked in at 10:30pm, room reserved no problem and had 2 warm cookies after receiving my room keys. Nice touch, each room is named in case you're not a number person. The room was clean, the bed was comfy, and the bath towels weren't like gym towels. The back patio opened up into a pond with a few ducks and birds and it's actually nice. You almost couldn't here road noise as this room faced the inside of the complex as opposed to the outside. Light sleeper, I'd opt for a room like this. Overall a very nice stay, I'd come back.

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Hampton Inn and Suites Napa
Napa Winery Inn
Napa Winery Inn
#14 of 30 in Napa

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon

Address: 3600 Broadway St, American Canyon, CA 94503-1259 (Formerly Gaia Napa Valley Hotel)
Location: United States > California > Napa Valley > American Canyon
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in American Canyon
Price Range: $102 - $231 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon 3.5*
The DoubleTree Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon hotel in northern California is the World's First LEED-Certified Hotel, located near hundreds of wineries in the Sonoma Valley - on Highway 29 at the gateway to Napa Valley (9 minutes from Napa). Relax at our on-site spa - Spa Gaia - or enjoy organic, locally-gathered meals at the Table 29 Bistro & Bar (also on-site). Our eco-friendly hotel includes a sparkling lagoon (suites with water views available), fitness room, outdoor pool, lounge/bar area, room service, multi-lingual staff and free parking (evening security provided). Host your wedding on our outdoor event deck with views of our sparkling Lagoon. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree By Hilton Hotel And Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon