1,133 results
All reviewsdouble treecookiesnapa valleypatio roomwine countrybreakfast buffeton site restaurantwould stay here againlagoon viewsan franciscoshort driveupon checknice stayeasy accesswine tastingpondgaia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you can't find a place in Napa, this is a good place to go as your "Plan B". Napa gets crazy busy at times, so good luck finding a nice place to stay unless you book far in advance. Plan B is American Canyon, the built-up stretch of Highway 29 between Vallejo and Napa.

Of the several American Canyon Hotels, the Doubletree / Hilton has the most unique exterior. It was, until recently, the Gaia Hotel. The restaurant still carries the name. It's LEED Gold certified, which will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside if you care about the planet. From a practical point of view, the only thing you'll notice is that they don't put out little bottles of shampoo and lotion for you to take home (unless you ask for them). The green / earth friendly heritage does show in the central lagoon and the plantings around the hotel. The lagoon is home to a pair of resident swans and a collection of local birds. The plantings are very nicely chosen and well-maintained California native plants. Most hotel guests won't notice that, but it's actually pretty well done.

There's a tiny pool, a hot tub / jacuzzi, and a few lounge chairs by the lagoon. It's nice, but it would get crowded pretty quickly with just a few people.

The rooms are standard hotel rooms. Not dull, not exciting. Our room had a tiny patio with a couple of chairs. Free WiFi was nice, since so many places try to soak you for that these days.

We had breakfast at the restaurant. The food was good and the service was excellent. We bought package that included breakfast with our room, so the meal only worked out to $10 each. An excellent value.

I'm setting the rating to 3 / 5 (Average), although it deserves a 3.5 "Above Average" rating.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed there for two nights. We were out there for wine tasting in Napa and Sonoma. Napa is close... but not close enough. Sonoma was 35 minutes away. It was a bit of a drive out to the wineries. And let me reiterate that there is NOTHING to do in American Canyon, you have to drive EVERYWHERE.

The hotel staff was nice enough and the room was OK. However, the AC was loud, the bathroom echoed and you could hear pipes and stuff working through the walls. They are apparently a "green" hotel, so that's nice. The buffet breakfast was decent.

No frills, nothing fancy though. And we didn't try the "spa" services, so I have no opinion on that.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the back of the property. The hotel faces the main road, but we were at the back of the hotel and had quiet nights.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cxguti
Reviewed November 2, 2012

More like rooms surrounding a mud hole. The wildlife is nice, but the atmosphere is not. This hotel is so isolated - and mis-advertised. The beds were comfortable, the restaurant was nice, the rooms were quiet. The pool was small but warm enough to swim...and that is where it ended. I was so disappointed because we planned to hang out more and read our books, but instead we left the hotel early and came "home" late.

We had advance reservations for 5 nights, unfortunately. When we realized we were three hours away from the airport in traffic, with a morning flight back to Boston after Hurricane Sandy, I went to the front desk (and also called the Hilton Honors number) to stay the last night at the airport Doubletree. No one would move an inch: I had prepaid and I knew it. Read my small print.

I have always loved Doubletrees and Hilton, but apparently management has changed and customer satisfaction is not important.

Room Tip: Stay in Napa Valley, not Napa or American Canyon. American Canyon is just a roadside strip mall, not an exotic location.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathymcc613
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here not for the Napa Valley wine tasting (although you could very well do that) I was on my way to Infineon race track for some car racing. First of all if you're going to the track from this hotel on a weekday morning, it backs up on hwy 37 going West from about 7am. Plan accordingly. Now on to the hotel. I checked in at 10:30pm, room reserved no problem and had 2 warm cookies after receiving my room keys. Nice touch, each room is named in case you're not a number person. The room was clean, the bed was comfy, and the bath towels weren't like gym towels. The back patio opened up into a pond with a few ducks and birds and it's actually nice. You almost couldn't here road noise as this room faced the inside of the complex as opposed to the outside. Light sleeper, I'd opt for a room like this. Overall a very nice stay, I'd come back.

Room Tip: see review
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Travlholic
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The room was very nice, the only king suite, I was told. The bed was very comfortable, the layout a bit strange, but functional. The 2 flat screens were a plus. The shower made a loud squeal and my room service on the last morning had to be cancelled because after an hour and twenty minutes I gave up. and because they forgot about us. We checked out and had a meal at a local restaurant. Unfortunately I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank captE48
Erik B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for staying with us during your anniversary weekend. We are glad that you enjoyed our king suite. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with our room service delivery. This is not typical of our hotel and we regret that this affected the rest of your trip. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to provide the best service possible.