“So-so customer service, but nice hotel”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Napa Valley - American Canyon
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in American Canyon
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I had a 3-night reservation at the Holiday Inn Express Napa Valley/American Canyon for a quick girls' weekend to Napa. Upon arrival to check in on a Saturday, we found out the hotel was completely booked and that the queen suite room we'd reserved was no longer available. (We arrived at 5 p.m., only 2 hours after checkin began.) We were given a king room, promised a rollaway bed would be delivered, and told we would be moved to a queen suite Sunday morning. For a night, we were prepared to make do with the king/rollaway (there were 3 of us), but when we got to our room, I realized I should request a refund of the difference between the cost of the queen suite and the king room. Back to the front desk I went to request the cost difference (not huge, but I'd paid for a queen suite and didn't get it), where a frustrated front desk worker said she would look into giving us the refund and swore under her breath at the manager or whomever decided the rates. I thanked her and went back to our king room. 5 minutes later, our phone rang and the same front desk worker said they'd found a queen room for us for that night. Not sure why we weren't given at least the queen room in the beginning, but someone must have canceled or not shown. We packed up our bags and moved down the hall. Shortly after we moved rooms, there was a knock at our door and the front desk worker who was looking into a refund was there saying they'd take $25 off our bill and that we could still move to a queen suite the next morning. That was a nice gesture and what I'd hoped would happen for us having to move rooms 3 times. The next morning, we did finally end up in a queen suite. And when we received our final bill, the $25 was deducted for the first night.

The rooms themselves (we saw all 3 types!) were very nice -- spacious and comfortable for 3 adults and our traveling gear. The beds and pillows were soft, the bathroom towels were soft, and the bathrooms themselves were clean and modern. I didn't notice thin walls as previous posters mentioned, but I did notice a fair amount of noise coming from people walking around the room above ours. Carpet throughout all of our rooms was clean and in good shape. The hotel is only a couple years old, so I guess everything should be in good working order.

After a long day of wine tasting, we dipped our feet in the pool, which was clean. The only slight annoyance was the traffic noise coming from over the wall. The pool area overlooks Hwy 29.

Breakfast was the typical HI Express breakfast -- cinnamon rolls, eggs, yogurt, bagels, juices, coffee, etc. It was convenient and we enjoyed it one morning, but most mornings we found ourselves walking to the Starbucks just across the street.

Location was convenient to the Napa Valley for wine tasting. We did a Platypus Tour one day and they picked us up at the HI Express. The next day we drove to wineries on our own. The drive up and down Hwy 29 wasn't bad at all from the HI Express. Even if we'd stayed somewhere in the Napa Valley, we would be driving, so this hotel was just fine for us.

We used the business center's computers to print our boarding passes, which was great. The only issue was that one of the two printers wasn't working. There was free wi-fi throughout the hotel and that was nice, too.

Overall, I didn't enjoy having to move rooms 3 times, but in the end we got the room we'd paid for. Aside from the swearing, front desk staff was friendly enough but seemed to flounder when the hotel was full and they ran out of the types of rooms people had reserved. (They were calling the Fairfield and moving guests there at one point.) Our stay on Sunday night and Monday night when the hotel was practically empty was perfect! I'd consider staying here the next time I visit Napa and just cross my fingers for better luck in the room/front desk service department.

Room Tip: If checking in on a Saturday, arrive early!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank WiscDoll

Reviewed March 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights on a trip to Napa. Someone in the room next door was talking and it was enough to keep us up all night. The people are nice, and the room is clean, but that's about the only benefit to this place. The breakfast was HORRIBLE, and there is a sign in the lobby that talks about how some of the materials in the hotel may be cancerous. I guess they neglect to mention that on their website so you stay, but I was pretty unhappy once I saw it!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We took my mother in law to Napa for a weekend of sightseeing and wine tasting, and the Holiday Inn Express in American Canyon was an excellent choice, convenient location, and very reasonable price. The free hot breakfast on saturday and sunday morning was a bit crowded, but there was lots of hot food, which meant we weren't stuck eating a Starbucks breakfast. The last couple of times we went to Napa, we stayed in the Sheraton hotel in Petaluma, and if you've ever tried to drive from Napa to Petaluma at 7 pm in the evening, you know that it is not an easy drive. After dinner in Napa, it was only a 20 min drive back to the hotel in non-back roads, which was great. we will definitely stay here the next time we want a weekend in Napa.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

We could not fault the room or the service at this place - all you expect at a Holiday Inn Express. It is fairly new and the rooms are large and well appointed. The bed comfortable.
Everything works and the service is good.
As a base for exploring wine country it is fine but unless you want to drive there is nowhere to eat in the evenings. We were there for 2 nights and ended up getting a taxi to a restaurant, not a problem but an additional expense if you are not prepared for it. There is a Walmart next door and a McDonalds, Starbucks, Panda Express and a pizza takeaway, if all you want is fast food.
The only other drawback is that of you are at the front of the hotel there may be some road noise and at the back the local industry starts up before 7am and it is quite noisy!

Reviewed October 10, 2010

The hotel is definitely on the fringe of the Napa/Sonoma wine country but don't let that stop you from checking this out. The hotel is basic but very clean and well kept. We also found the service at the hotel very solid - from the front desk to the breakfast attendant. Everyone seemed interested in helping us and ensuring we had a good stay. A nice perk is a location near some local shopping that includes a Starbucks, some low key dinning and a Walmart for the forgotten necessities.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Stayed here for two nights during a wine weekend.

Pros of staying here:
Proximity to the Napa Valley and wineries -- you can be tasting in about 10-15 minutes
Lots of parking
Close to shopping/eateries
Clean rooms
Great heated pool and hot tub
Free breakfast
Easy checkout

Cons of staying here:
Mediocre service - employees don't go out of their way to make your stay fantastic
No black out curtains - don't anticipate sleeping in
Weird layout of hotel
Poor water pressure
Noisy - You'll hear your neighbors

Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at this motel every week for 9 months - only going home on Sat night and returning Sun night. They got to know me very well and check in was a breeze - no need to give them my credit card for incidentals - my room keys were always ready when I walked in and I usually got the first floor. Breakfast was always early so I was able to eat and head off to work. This motel is #1 on my list for the Napa and American Canyon area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near American Canyon
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Spa Napa Valley - American Canyon
Fairfield Inn & Suites Napa American Canyon
SpringHill Suites Napa Valley
Hampton Inn and Suites Napa
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley
Best Western Plus Inn At The Vines

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Napa Valley - American Canyon? Share your experiences!