“This hotel smelled horrible - like a candle store!”

Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alviso
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Gold Street Extended Stay for five days. When we first checked into the room, we noticed a strange artificial smell, very strong. Like a fragrance that a taxi driver would hang in their car. We went to the front desk to complain, and they explained that it was something the cleaning staff sprayed in the room and it would go away. That was wrong. I was able to pinpoint the source of the horrible smell- a fragrance sheet of some sort stuck in the air conditioner filter. I'm not talking a fabric softener sheet - I'm talking an industrial strength gel of some sort stuck on a large piece of cardboard wedged in the air conditioner! I removed it and threw it away, but even then it was impossible to use the air conditioner without the whole room absolutely stinking, and the nights were too warm to sleep comfortably without it. The hotel is obsessed with this fragrance. I noticed half a sheet of this fragrance stuff stuck inside the Halloween pumpkin in the front lobby! If you dislike the smell of artificial fragrance, avoid at all costs. The staff was very nice, and the room was decently clean. But the smell...was horrible.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank eringatang
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for your review of our Extended Stay America located in Santa Clara, California. I am so sorry to hear that your stay was not a pleasant one based on your comments about the scent in the guest rooms. We do strive daily to provide clean, comfortable, fresh accommodations for our guests enjoyment, I do realize that some fragrances can seem over-powering to certain guests and we make every effort to minimize the scent exposure so that we can maintain a great smell yet keep this from being to over-powering and ruining the experience. I again, and so sorry that the fragrance smell was a bit to much. We will definitely look at alternative ways to keep this from happening again in the future and we thank you for letting us know it was to strong. I was happy to hear the staff was friendly and accommodating to your needs during your stay. I hope that you will give us another chance to win your loyalty should your travels bring you back to our area or that of any other of our over 600 plus locations nationwide. Again, my sincerest apologies for the scent issue during your stay. With Hospitality, the Management at Extended Stay America Santa Clara California.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Paid about $80 a night to stay for a full week. Place is decent. Suite had 2 each of plates, forks, spoons, bowls. Really crappy spatula, dont expect to do much cooking even though it has a "kitchen", light frying, boiling a can of soup etc.

This hotel was right near a loud road and a train line, but it didn't disturb my sleep so maybe the train doesn't come at night? It never woke me up so I never noticed.

Taxi ride was about $33 from San Jose Airport.
20 Minutes walk to Santa Clara Convention Center.
1 Hour walk to nearest grocery store (if you intend to buy groceries), rent a car/cab is my advice.
Closest restaurants are Barwachi, Joes Chinese food and Taco Bell about 15 Minutes walk away.
(http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bawarchi-santa-clara )

Comes with free (but slow) wifi at 80KBytes per second. You can pay for faster.

Free "Breakfast" is single wrapped muffins, granola bars, coffee/tea and instant oatmeal packets.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mike G
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Mike,
Thank you so much for letting us know about your stay at Extended Stay America Santa Clara. It is our goal to provide clean, quiet, comfortable accommodations at a great value coupled with outstanding service. I am glad that you found us to be a value for your stay; however I am sorry that you had some internet struggles as well as some challenges with our location. We know that the city is growing quite fast and that with the addition of the new Forty Niners stadium just across the highway that food and grocery places will be soon to follow as the area is expanding quickly. We know that this will allow guests to have a few more comforts close by while still enjoying our quiet location. We are also always expanding and upgrading our internet so that guests have the world at their finger tips as we have become accustomed. Thank you again for your nice survey and we hope that you will visit us again if you are in our area. With Hospitality The Management at Extended Stay America Santa Clara.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights in Sep 2012 with my family when we were in Sanjose area recently. The staff are simply great, especially Shelly. She is an amazing individual who made us feel at home everytime we walked into the lobby. I travel 15-20 days a month and from my experience would rate this hotel as one of the best value hotels

The hotel is a basic hotel but is a great value for money. it is located close to I-237 which is fantastic. The Great Mall is not far and there are several nice restaurants within a 10 mile radius. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Thanks_Quality
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

I would like to take a moment and thank you so much for your recent review of our Extended Stay America located on Gold Street in Santa Clara, CA. It is with many thanks that I write this response to you. My staff takes great pride as you said in taking care of each guest in a personable way. You are very corrrect in that Shelly is an excellent part of our staff and I will be passing your comments on to her. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would be pleased to have you return to our property or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. Please fell free to contact me or any of our staff for help in any bookings you may need. We are here for you!
Thank you again, Brandy Sickles Area Operations Manager

Reviewed September 25, 2012

This place is wonderful. I always feel home away from home. They are very friendly, helpful, and the room are very clean. Everybody is wonderful they treat you like member of the family, I call it my second home. I highly recommend it for anybody who wants value and quality.

Room Tip: There is no pool or restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Susan L, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

I want to personally thank you for your great review of Extended Stay America San Jose - Santa Clara. When I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We strive each day to make a home away from home experience for each and every one of our guests. Im so glad to hear that my staff was helpful and friendly, that what were all about!

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Dont hesitate to call the hotel directly and we would be more than happy to help you for any of our over 680+ locations nationwide. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The staff at this hotel are amazing!!! My husband arrived July 22nd after a horrific car accident. I flew in the next day and stayed with him at this property. The 2 ladies mentioned below were sympathetic, helpful, and made us smile. Unfortunately I did not get any names but the desk clerk from Hawaii and the hotel manager are fantastic. They both made a stressful trip a little easier.

• Stayed: July 2012
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

I would like to thank you so much for recognizing my staff at our hotel. Shelly our front desk guest service representative from Hawaii is an exceptional part of our staff and I am so glad that she was able to make you feel at ease after such an ordeal. I am also happy to hear that my manager Selam was so helpful and again accomodating during your time with us. We strive to make each one of our guests feel at home each and every stay. It looks like we were able to do just that during your stay with us.

So thank you again for your wonderful heartfelt review of our property & staff. We hope to be of service to you in the future if you have lodging needs in our area or that of any other of our brand locations.

Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

Although the location was inconvenient, the suites are clean, comfortable and roomy. You will need a rental car if you stay here but the staff is friendly and helpful. Front desk Amanda was especially friendly and courteous. Quiet area except for the train that goes by regularly but it becomes white noise. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Sanpum
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Jose - Santa Clara. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

I am eager to respond to your issue. Please know that we strive to provide our guests with a relaxing home away from home experience. We do have systems in place to ensure that outside noise doesn't interfere with a guest's stay. Additionally, our hotels are constructed in such a way as to mitigate the noise from outside disturbances. Perhaps on your next stay we can pre block you in a room farther from the tracks.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

polite people. clean environment. make our stay a very pleasant experience. The hotel is at a convenient location. easy access to groceries, restaurants and movie theater, etc. Would strongly recommend it to travelers.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Jose - Santa Clara. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alviso
Avatar Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Santa Clara Marriott
#7 of 32 in Santa Clara
Extended Stay America - San Jose - Sunnyvale
Quality Inn Santa Clara Convention Center

Been to Extended Stay America - San Jose - Santa Clara? Share your experiences!