“Not what is pictured on website”
Review of Ayres Lodge Alpine

Ayres Lodge Alpine
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alpine
GreenLeadersGold level
dallas
“Not what is pictured on website”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Since we fly standby last minute, most hotels were either full or outrageously overpiced. First time going to san diego, so it was a shocker to find most hotels charging guests parking fees. I understand that downtown hotels are limited in space so they charge, but even other chains do as well. Most rooms in san diego are 3 occupants max. We were a family of 4 (2 young toddlers).
That being said, I booked a room here since I have always wanted to try an ayres if in california. Ayres is a family chain so I was expecting more hospitality than bigger chains. The other reasons were free parking and breakfast. With most other hotels, you may pay close to $200 a night and at least $20 night parking fee, so I thought a 30 min drive to this hotel was alright and typical. But since this was a weekend trip, the driving back and forth to the san diego zoo and la jolla beach was longer than expected especially with young kids. This motel/inn is not representative of the other locations..(at least I hope not). My friend stayed in anaheim and said how elegant is was, so I was expecting something like what she told me. But is not what I expected.
My husband took awhile for check in since the lady was doing multi task. There was only one person as we checkin at 9pm.
It is mainly a motel with 2 floors exterior access. No nice lobby with fireplace like pictured.. The room was decent with wood furnishing and 2 queen not a double like other places. The beds were soft so that was a plus. There is good size mini frige. It is has a shuttle to nearby casino so they may cater to casino goers. Breakfast was in a tiny room next to checkin lobby with just cold cereal, bagel, danish, milk. There is a toaster and microwave so that would came handy later when I need to heat something for the kids. There is 1 computer for internet with 15 minutes limit and you can print.
I was disappointed in the area being so far away from san diego attractions. But, I knew this before hand. I just did not expect there was nothing around this area to do.
There is a rite aid around the corner to buy some water and milk and a carls jr fast food right next door.
The room itself was nicer than the typical holiday inn. So, if you are not planning to go to SD zoo or other attractions then this motel would suffice. The room price was $113 with AAA. So, for free parking, cold breakfast, internet, fridge.. the savings may be worth it. So if I were able to reserve a room in advance and not flying standy, checkout balboa park inn since it looked alright as we drove past it on our way to the zoo. I wanted to stay there but it was sold out. it is also an inn with same perks and decent rate but closer to attractions. I will still try another ayres if I were to visit california...maybe anaheim or newport beach. Complimentary parking, breakfast, and comfortable queens beds is what I like about this chain. Just not this first experience with ayres inn. Hope this helps!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bananaDallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Rob Lind
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed here on 7/27/08 to attend a concert at the Viejas Indian casino about 3 miles away. The Viejas casino does not yet have a hotel attached to it, so Ayres Inn in Alpine is the closest motel to the casino and shopping outlets. The motel is rather outdated--very small bathrooms with outdated tile and fixtures. Furniture is ok, but a little big for the rooms, making it difficult to move around the room easily. When we arrived at the motel in the afternoon the a/c was not turned on. It seemed to take awhile for the a/c to kick in once we turned it on; it was still warm in the room when we left to go to the concert at the Viejas casino, but we figured the room would be cool by the time we returned after the concert---WRONG! When we returned to the room after midnight, the room was warmer inside than it was outside and we spent a sleepless night in a very warm room. When checking out I mentioned to the desk clerk that the A/C didn't appear to be working. She asked if the curtains were blowing out and if the A/C kept shutting off. When I answered "YES" the desk clerk said that the a/c was blowing into the curtains, which was triggering it to shut off, and that the a/c needed a deflector shield. I asked then why was it not posted on the a/c that this was the problem. She said the deflector shields had been ordered. Well hello, it's now in the middle of summer--don't you think this problem could have been resolved earlier than this? The clerk offered no compensation for our extremely unsatisfactory stay. In the future I will find somewhere else to stay outside of Alpine!

• Liked — only motel in Alpine near casino
  • Disliked — A/C was terrible; rooms very small with miniscule bathrooms and very outdated
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank llbheaven
Oceano, California
Reviewed November 26, 2007

it was a pleasant surprise to find a place like this outside of the San Diego area, in the hills. My only complaint was that the shower made a whiny noise when it was on. The decor and atmosphere was nice.

Stayed October 2007
Highland, California
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Clean, quiet, comfortable beds, even had a fold out sofa couch in our room. Much better than expected. Had beautiful pine trees. Nice BBQ's out back. Staff baked wonderful cookies in the afternoon. Breakfast was simple but enough to get you going ie., boiled eggs, toast, bagels, cereals, juice, and pastries. When the staff heard me complain the first morning of no cream cheese for the bagel, the next morning they had it. Yes, the staff wasn't so knowledgeable about the rooms (when I called the lady didn't know if there was an in room blow dryer), she was nice enough to go look for me and they do have them. What more could I ask for. Hotel very easy to find. Right off freeway. Other places to eat and shuttle will take to you the casino. Pool and spa very clean and nice. Staff very friendly with a very impressive lobby. Laundry facilities was nice and clean. P.S. Tecate Mexico train from Campo, CA was really fun. Was able to stick out heads out the window during the ride! Had the best Machaca burritos at The Plaza. Check out the train museum at the Campo station. This is why we stayed at the hotel but we are booking another trip to San Diego in Nov. and will be staying here.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, quiet
  • Disliked — small eating area
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SherriCalifornia
Atlanta
Reviewed March 7, 2007

The hotel is very easy to find and the beds are WONDERFUL. Quite comfortable. The rooms are clean, nice water pressure, a real basic continental breakfast is available. It was OK. The staff is not quite up to par. In making reservations, they didn't seem to know much about the hotel. When you are waiting for service at the front desk, you will be second to any phone calls and personal discussions that are taking place behind the desk. Even the desk staff doesn't seem to know much about the hotel. I would say the hotel is above average because the rooms are nice and comfortable. With a better staff, the hotel could be excellent.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Traveling Marco
reno
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Had an emergency meeting in Alpine so arrived about 10 pm. The motel I usually use in Pine Valley was full. Ayers Country Inn was almost vacant. Got the "best AAA rate" $109+... In the morning went to use the shower so I could get back on the road early (4:30 am) and found the water to the shower was turned off for repairs. Was able to get a GI shower using the sink. Went to check out and notify the front desk about no water and asked for some kind of rate reduction compensation. Non given or offered. When I got home I emailed the manager of Ayers Inn and heard nothing back. After a full week of no response I called the Corp. office. expressing my displeasure. Two days later I received a response from the manager. $20 was offered which I felt was too little too late. For me it will be a motel I will not return to or recommend.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank gwwing
Williamsport, PA
Reviewed July 19, 2005

We chose this hotel since we got it at $99 per night - a steal for the San Diego area. The rooms are nice and fairly large. The continental breakfast leaves much to be desired. The place isn't as "country quaint" as the pictures look on their web site - the property is nicer than usual but isn't exactly in a "woodsy alpine" location. It is in a shopping center right next to the highway. There are many restaurants and stores located within very short walking distance. The drive back and forth to San Diego is easy and takes about 25 minutes. We stayed there for five nights and did the drive each day on our vacation. It isn't a resort - only a motel with outside access rooms. There are no plants in the room as the picture on their web site suggests.

3 Thank lflint
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Sycuan Golf Resort
#2 of 15 in El Cajon
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#4 of 15 in El Cajon
Downtown
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
#118 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Ayres Lodge Alpine? Share your experiences!