“Great stay; clean and quiet!”
Review of Ayres Lodge Alpine

Ayres Lodge Alpine
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alpine
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great stay; clean and quiet!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The staff was very welcoming at check in. The room was clean, smelled fresh and was well appointed. We didn't have a mini-fridge in our room, but were travelling with a cooler, so it all worked out. The housekeeping staff was absolutely fantastic and friendly. The front office staff, especially Jennifer, was super sweet and helpful. Our request for extra sheets and blankets was instantly fulfilled with a smile! There are quite a few really great places to eat (a great breakfast spot, Greek restaurant, and even a donut shop) in the surrounding area. Everything was walking distance, which was very nice. We would definitely stay again at the Ayres Lodge in Alpine, without a doubt!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back-side of the property are super quiet and close to the pond and grassy area to rela...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Lodge Alpine, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Eve -

It was a pleasure welcoming you recently. Thank you so much for your kind review and for allowing us the opportunity to host your stay. I am thrilled to hear you found everything from the service to the location perfect for your traveling needs. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Jennifer so she knows how much she is appreciated. We are grateful for your recommendation and hope to welcome you back soon.

Heather Scott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Oro Valley, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2013

For the reasonable price we paid, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Well, maybe one brighter light for reading. Our King size bed room was clean, had a seating area and a mini-fridge. The bath was small but clean. The shower functioned just fine. The staff that I met; the house cleaner, the desk staff (Jennifer I believe) were friendly and helpful. We didn't use the pool as we were out seeing relatives but it looked fine and a quiet place to relax. I'll stay there again, no question.

Room Tip: Book early is the only suggestion I would have.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 17, 2013

STAYED FROM JULY 12-16TH 2013
CLEAN ROOM
QUITE

"the lodge" if you call it clean motel sounds better we arrived a bit late the customer service at the desk Brian was very friendly and attentive . we got our room as described and clean .
then the disaster followed

1/ the hotel describes a high speed internet completely false......single bar..
there is an Ethernet connection don't work when i called the customer service
there as a very rude lady she told me to call 1/800 number are you kiddn me....
i don't want to waste my time solving hotels problem on my vacation

2/ breakfast -------completely Ridiculous---less than a 50sqf room few muffins and yogurt
and cereal ---juice that is all and if you are there by 9Am that is even gone
don't bother..i have seen many families disappointed ....

3/ Distance from sandiego .---- ALMOST 45 MINUTES FROM DOWNTOWN SANDIEGO
----very far and out from the city

when we checked out i spoke to the manager HEATHER SCOTT...The most unfriendly and unprofessional manger i have ever seen throughout my travel experiences ..i politely asked her if Expedia has been charged my credit card ..you can tell she is so rude when she responded ...also heard the manager talking to her employee about my wifi complaints
trying to make fun of it......

my complaints about the wifi is legitimate and told her she can go to the room and try it to prove herself .....

To sum it up

if distance matters -----DONT BOTHER GOING
if communication matters to you like wifi internet--DONT BOTHER GOING
if you travel with family or breakfast matters ---DONT BOTHER GOING

\\Thank you

3 Thank samuelhaikel
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Lodge Alpine, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear samuelhaikel -

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I was distressed to hear that you found your stay so unsatisfactory and I deeply apologize for this. We understand that dependable WIFI is an important amenity in this day and age and do our very best to assist as much as possible should there be an issue. I am sorry that we were unable to help out and that our third party vendor did not provide warmer service. As to the questions regarding Expedia, I do apologize if I appeared rude as it was only my intention to explain the way that this online travel agency charges for hotel stays. If this came across in any other way, I am sorry. I hope you will give us a second opportunity to show you that a stay with us can be exceptional.

Regards,

Marysville, Washington
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Even though I see many great reviews our experience was horrible. We arrived early evening and the man at the desk was rude. I asked about getting 2 queen beds instead of the king and pull out he said our room had. I politely told him that when I had booked through a third party it said 2 queens and his exact words were "well I guess you should have book through us then shouldn't you have" - his demeanor was extremely rude. We go to our room and it is TINY - not even enough room for our luggage and us. I pull out the bed couch and there is no linen on it whatsoever - so I call down to the front desk and get the same man and tell him and he says "oh, its down here - you need to come get it and make it up yourself" !? This is supposedly a 3 star hotel and I am paying to stay here and I have to completely make my own bed? I have NEVER in all my travels even been told something like this. When I go to get the linens he takes about 15 minutes to even get them and pretty much throws them across the counter at me. And all he has is a flat sheet and a heavy comforter (it's 95 degrees out) I ask him about a fitted sheet and he says there is none. I ask for an extra towel because there is 4 of us and they only had 3 in the room and it took him 10 minutes to get me another towel. He was just simply rude.
The pool was murky and dirty - there were no pool towels and the area was a mess.
The breakfast was in a room smaller than most closets and the food was HORRIBLE --
A note - all entries to rooms are outside and if you are on the second floor there are only stairs and no elevators so you have to lug your luggage up the stairs.
The ONLY POSITIVE thing about breakfast was the lady serving it who was valiantly trying to make there be enough food and cater to everyone. She was wonderful.
The morning front desk clerks (female) were very nice and helpful.
I have no idea how this hotel is rated a 3 star because it is old, rundown and feels like nothing more than a motel.

2 Thank Dawn M
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Lodge Alpine, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Dawn -

Thank you very much for your candid review of our hotel. I am so very sorry that your experience was unsatisfactory. The service issues you describe are absolutely unacceptable as we strive to provide the best in comfort and personalized service to all of our guests. Please know that this matter has been addressed with the appropriate individual. I sincerely apologize and hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future.

Regards,

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I continue to return to Ayres Lodge in Alpine. It is like a little piece of heaven. Quiet, friendly, inexpensive, perfect location, great rooms, clean, comfortable, great breakfast, love the back garden area, pool is so relaxing.... I can't say enough good things about it. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The staff was very friendly. When we walked in, the first thing I smelled was fresh, baked chocolate chip cookies that were excellent! And there were guys sitting at a table playing cards and I thought what a quaint, relaxing place to be! We had a 2-Queen bed room that was small, but very clean. Beds were very comfortable. It wasn't a 5-star hotel, but we would stay there again if the opportunity arises.

North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The bad: the standard rooms do not come with a mini fridge or microwave. Also we came with a dog and the dog area is right next to where people have breakfast outside. If there is no one there its okay but rude if your dog has to potty with 3 tables full.
The good: fresh, hot chocolate chip cookies at 7pm every night!! It is close to the highway but you don't hear a thing. Staff is friendly and I think I met them all. Pool is cleaned every morning which is nice. The breakfast area is beautiful. The town is adorable. Also it is behind a little shopping plaza that has every kind of food you could want in walking distance. We would like to visit this hotel and area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Sycuan Golf Resort
#2 of 15 in El Cajon
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#4 of 15 in El Cajon
Downtown
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
#115 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Ayres Lodge Alpine? Share your experiences!