“A fun spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wingham, Canada
“A fun spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

A small place, you are greeted with loud cry of delight when you enter, if you are feeling social, sit up at the sushi bar, the chef was friendly, and made us 2 free samples, his fish tacos, not my favorite, and the spicy octopus salad, delicious. I had seaweed salad, very good. and my daughter and I shared 2 different rolls, the Aliso Viejo roll was esp good. This is my daughter's favorite sushi spot, best for their rolls. We both had lots of food, and the bill for us both was around $50, that included 1 saki.

Visited January 2012

CA
“The freshest sushi and a great bento lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

I really hesitated to write about this place because it is my very favorite and I go here regularly with friends. Zen is a small place with a loyal crowd. The sushi is really fresh and the bento selections for lunch are a great deal. That is real crab in the California roll. We love the salad that comes with the bento lunches. Sushi and handrolls are wonderful and so is the sushi burrito. Lunch is served from 1130 until 230.We love dinner here too. For those uninitiated or those who dislike fish, there are selections including chicken teriyaki. We love the staff and the service. Forks are available. Family friendly place. This place is tops. It is sandwiched between a Thai place and an Italian place in the Stater Brothers/Target parking lot.We have had Zen do sushi rolls for entertaining. But don't go. We want room for us.

• Visited November 2011
Orange County, Ca.
“Our gold standard for sushi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

Boy, if I were smart, I'd let those negative reviews stand alone. That way, no one would go to this little jewel of a sushi bar, leaving more room and sushi for me! However, in good conscience I can't do that. My husband and I have been coming here for about three years, we absolutely LOVE the sushi and rolls here. The freshest, melt-in-your-mouthiest, fish we've ever had. I don't know what the deal is with that one review, regarding the bad manners of that group of people. Everybody has an off night, and yes even jackholes have to eat sometimes. But even a group of rude people wouldn't keep me from my favorite sushi! The staff at Zen, from the waitresses to the sushi chefs are very nice and friendly. I would never describe this as so-so food, everytime we go anywhere for sushi, Zen is in the back of our minds. Does what we're eating measure up to Zen? Usually not! Frankly, as nice as the staff is, we are there for the incredible fish. This place is tiny, frequently busy-busy, but definitely worth the wait. Seriously, if you care about the quality and freshness of the fish you're eating, this is the place to come.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank munkiemama
Mission Viejo, CA
“The best sushi I have found in the South OC Area and I've been looking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

All I can say is give these nice folks a chance and try their yummy food. They have unusual /one of a kind items. The chef cannot speak good English but his wife can and they are both very nice. The atomosphere is simple but the food makes up for it. They have a very clean bathroom always and that says a lot.

You should try it.

San Clemente, California
“If vulgar language and obnoxious behavior is allowed then this place is for you!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband and I own a wine shop and wine bar and will frequent this restaurant after a long weekend on Sunday night. Tonight we met to have a nice relaxing dinner and had to endure a group of people who choose to use vulgar language such as the F & C word along with descriptive language describing their sexual habits. They were extremely loud and we complained to our sushi chef along with our server who claimed to not understand what they were saying (which is an excuse because over the 4 years we have been coming to this restuarant the waitress speaks great English and the [--] word is pretty universal) and never attempted to ask them to quiet down or watch their language there were also children in the restaurant. My husband and I confronted them and they did quiet their voices but not their language.
Needless to say we will never go back to a restaurant who allows this type of behavior and to have their patrons exposed to this type of behavior. We do not pay to have an uncomfortable experience and there are too many options in places to eat to have to endure this type of environment.

The food is ok and we mainly go due to the location of our home. Sadly we will never return to this sushi restaurant again after being a patron of theirs for 4 years. The lack to control their customer's behavior is inexcusable and frankly their food is not that great to put up with this type of atmosphere.

• 1 of 5 bubbles