“Professional & Pleasant Staff”

Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

From the front desk staff at check-in to the patio servers all were very friendly and helpful. One minor issue with the room prompted immediate response and top notch remedy. They were all very interested in making the stay pleasant. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Try to face the mountains. Great spa services!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Our family had a fantastic stay here recently.

The hotel staff was outstanding. We dealt primarily with CJ Richards who was extremely helpful during our stay. I called for some extra towels and there was somebody at the hotel room door in what seemed like less than a minute.

The rooms are clean and bright, as well as the rest of the hotel.

The gym connected to the hotel (free for guests) is large (huge really) and very well equipped (much better than the gym I go to at home). There are two pools, a lap pool and a family pool as well as a nice spa.

We only ate at the breakfast buffet which was good. The buffet included the usual -oatmeal, muffins, bacon, srambled.eggs, bagels, bread, yogurt, cereal, as well as made to order omelets. The service at the buffet was also very good.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Our first impression was this hotel was amazing, the small issue of our ordered freeze not being in the room was not a big deal. (Once I brought this to their attention a fridge with brought up to the room within an hour.) We had been lucky our flight from Boston was not cancelled due the storm. We were welcomed to CA with temps of 70+ and beautiful sunshine instead of the snow mess back home. We had travel here with my son's gymnastics team for a competition. My son was scheduled to compete this morning at 8am. Well that did not happen. Yesterday morning he eat the scrambled eggs and drunk milk from the hotel buffet. The rest of us had omelets made to order. Within an hour time my healthy son was complaining of chills. He could not get warm enough. Three hours later he had stomach cramps, next a headache....He felt a bit warm to the touch but not hot. When I asked the desk if they had a thermometer the answer was "No, sorry". She informed me that there was a Walgreen's right down the street. I let her know I wasn't going to leave my son alone in the hotel to go there and he was in no condition to go. No offer was made for someone from the hotel to go. I texted a team parent traveling with us, thankfully they went for us. The thermometer showed he had a temp of 101. The Tylenol kicked in and he started feeling better, the headache went away and he asked to eat something. I ordered room service. Within the hour after eating... chills and cramps again. Starting around 10 pm he starting throwing up, which continued all night. This morning he woke with a 102.4 temp. with more Tylenol the temp dropped to 99.0. I called our doctor back home for medical advice. Then I called the front desk and asked to speak with the Manager on call. After being left on hold for about 5 mins I was told he was not answering. I asked to leave a message to have him to call my room. Thirty minutes later... no return call, so I called the front back and finally got the manager on the phone. After a quick "sorry" your son is not feeling well, he wanted me to fill out paperwork downstairs. I told him was not going to be able downstairs to fill out paperwork while my son was sick in a hotel room alone. He said I could do it later today but I would have to sit with him and a co-worker while they interviewed me and filled their report. He suggested local medical attention, which a replied that I had already been in touch with his doctor back home. It become very clear quickly that all the manager cared about was a possible law suit and not my son sick in his hotel missing his competition which was the only reason for our stay. Several hours later I received a follow up call asking how my son was doing and if there was anything they could do. Then a reminder that I would need to fill out paper later today. The manager finally asked what may son's name was (probably need for the paperwork). Too bad he didn't ask if there was anything they could do during my first conversation with him. Around 9am I was getting very hungry and his was thirsty, I had to leave my son in the room and go downstairs to get a drink for him and something for me to eat. Our breakfasts were included in our daily room rate so I was hoping to make a plate and bring it up to room so I could be with my son. When I told the staff in the restaurant my situation I was told they don't allow people to do that, they would have to ask. So I stood, while they went to asked. (Why would you have to ask? Empower your staff to due to the right thing!) The staff person came out with a small plastic container and said we don't allow this but, due to your situation we will allow it! You can image what was going through my head. So here I sit in beautiful warm sunny CA with a sick son (who missed his competition) in a hotel room wishing I had staying at a Hampton Inn for $99 or less per night. I have had amazing customer service at Hampton Inns all over the country which I would much prefer than glam atmosphere with uncaring and thoughtless management! You had an opportunity to impress on a personal level and you blew it. (A mom traveling alone with a now sick son) So, If you choose to stay here beware...it is beautiful, however if you get sick.... even if it is possible food poisoning by the hotel ... you are on your own. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna P
RenaissanceClubSport, General Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Donna P,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We would like to take time as well, to clarify a few of the statements made in regard to the above review.
The sanitation and cleanliness of both our food preparation and presentation is of the utmost importance to us here at Renaissance ClubSport. We follow very strict guidelines and have always implemented policies and procedures to maintain our excellent standards of practice.

While you stated that your son had unfortunately had fallen ill during your vacation here, what fails to be mentioned is that we did strongly suggest that you visit a local medical facility for any treatment that may have been necessary at that time given his illness. Our Manager on Duty that weekend offered to help coordinate a local doctor; however, you graciously declined.

As stated within your review, and truly, whether being at Renaissance ClubSport, or anywhere else, if you deemed this to be food poisoning, and given the severity of his condition, surely this would have been considered a medical emergency. As such, we will always recommend local professional medical care for any of our hotel guests.

As we do not utilize a standard copy and paste response to our reviews, we simply state the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling across North America. As we are a service- oriented business, listening to each of our guests’ comments is certainly of extreme importance to us. That said, we do hope that your son is feeling better now, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Edward J. Tomlin
Renaissance ClubSport

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have stayed at Marriott Properties in various places to include Marriott Vacation Club in Spain, Costa del Sol Area. Never had a compliant and this property was not about to let my expectations down. From the moment you arrive; service is the number one priority of its employees. From opening doors and welcoming you into the nice lighted lobby to the fashion displayed all around from the check-in-desk to the elevators. No detail has gone unnoticed in this Oasis. I had the one night free for using and having my credit card with Marriott opened and of course having my account in good standing. I decided to take advantage of this free night and go ahead and stay for an extra night. I made the right decision by choosing this hotel. The room was spacious and the queen-size bed was super comfortable. The room was clean and the decor was nice and trendy. We had a nice view to the swimming pool. The Wi-fi was complementary. It was fast there was no problem with downloading or surfing the net. Cannot comment on the Gym facilities I used my LA Fitness for my workouts and it was only 3 miles away from the hotel. Next time I stay there I will make my mission to will use the fitness center. We had breakfast buffet at the hotel. The price of 16 dollars was reasonable when you consider the menu: eggs to order, omelettes, hotcakes, orange juice, coffee, cereals of various kinds, sausage, bacon, potatoes, fruits, etc. Check-out was a breeze and as always a smile and a thank you was not denied as I was leaving this nice oasis. Will look forward to stay here again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at many Marriott hotels, but had not yet experienced a ClubSport. I was impressed all-around!

I go to the gym on a regular basis and the equipment I like to use is typically not available in hotel fitness centers. This hotel's on site gym had more amenities than even most private fitness clubs. Outstanding facility and impressive locker rooms.

Even if you not a gym-goer, the hotel was awesome. The lobby bar had quite a weekend night life for a hotel tucked away in Aliso Viejo. I loved the lighting and design, from the lobby to the rooms.

Most of all, I was impressed with the service. Every member of the hotel was very friendly and willing to help without hesitation. I hope to get the chance to stay here again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank user99999
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend in July because I had a free Marriott award (so 1 night was free) and needed to use it but didn't have time to travel too far from home. This hotel is fantastic for a quiet weekend getaway. Everything about it was new and fresh. Having spent 75% of my time that weekend at the hotel I can honestly say I was pleased with all of it.

The room was large and comfortable. It had a cute little chaise by the window that I laid on and read for hours. The bathroom was also large and because the whole hotel has a healthy lifestyle theme there were little dumbbells in the bathroom if you wanted to work out in your room.

The room service menu had pretty much all healthy options but if you wanted to indulge you just had to ask and they had it. I ordered the turkey burger (on the menu) and fries (not on the menu) and both were great. Standard hotel prices but not incredibly overpriced.

The gym was a gym rat's heaven... it's HUGE. It seems like all of the locals come there to work out and I don't blame them. The bar was full of fun people and good bartenders. The people I met were from the immediate area and just come there often to get away and relax. The bartenders were very friendly, funny and accommodating, I think I closed the bar out on Saturday night :-) All other staff were equally friendly and accommodating. On check in my room wasn't ready but the front desk clerk conveniently found me an upgrade, very nice of her.

Parking was not a problem, there's plenty of space in the parking deck, there is fee for parking. The wifi was great as well, it was free for me, I think maybe due to my Marriott status, not sure if it's generally free.

Overall, it was a very relaxing weekend getaway, not too far from home but far enough to feel detached for a little. I'd go back again for sure.

(I know I am reviewing quite late for a such a great hotel but honestly I'm just getting around to reviewing all travels from the 2nd half of 2013)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I had my first stay at this very nice property complete with a full fitness club attached. It is minutes from the Laguna Beach area and about 20 minutes from John Wayne Airport (SNA). It is quite unique in that there really is a GIANT member's fitness club available to hotel guests as well - a full outdoor olympic swimming pool included... The rooms were nicely appointed with very comfortable mattresses, linens and pillows. It also had free wireless internet access included with very good speed. I could Facetime with no issues. It also includes a walk-in shower with a giant shower head in the ceiling. The front desk staff was very friendly. Breakfast was quite tasty albeit an expensive buffet if not included in the rate ($18 with tip). I also ate lunch during this visit. Had a large flatbread, which I found to be very fresh tasting and filling at a reasonable price (less than breakfast!). The rate was extremely reasonable. I definitely will stay again if the opportunity presents itself.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
#1 of 1 in Laguna Woods

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!