“currently staying here, so far so good”

Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
Seattle, WA
“currently staying here, so far so good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Staying here on business, mostly having a positive experience. Rooms very clean and modern - love the updated bathrooms. There is a restaurant downstairs and the room service menu is great. Also, there is the gym here which I have not visited. The front desk has been excellent so far... I have had some issues and they remedy them quickly. For example, my hair dryer was broken and they sent a brand new one up in about 10-15 minutes. I attempted to purchase some soda from the vending machine and the machine ate my money and didn't give me any soda, so I called the front desk and they sent me up replacement soda. I appreciate their willingness to try to please and right situations. The bed is very comfortable, rooms a decent size.
Minor complaints : SUPER thin walls, you can literally hear your neighbor fart. I'm not kidding about that... and my neighbor is very gassy. Last night my room neighbor was blasting music until 2 am. I did call the front desk and I think they attempted to get the fellow to quiet down but they started the music back up again. Also, the bathroom stuff is Aveda (awesome!) but they do NOT provide any body wash/proper body soap. All you get is hand soap. I asked housekeeping for body soap/wash specifically and still did not get any. Oh well, right? Just bring your own, I would have if I had known. I'd stay here again (and bring my own body wash). Over all a very decent hotel :)

Room Tip: Bring your own body wash or soap, none is provided. Only hand soap. They do give great Aveda brand...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is in the middle of business parks, retails, restaurants, all within couple minutes drive. Nice good looking contemporary lobby and room decor. Service was great with friendly staff. We had TV issue and the evening maintenance person tried everything he can to make sure we are totally satisfied with the new room we transferred to. They have a membership gym on site (FREE TO USE AS HOTEL GUEST), has everything there, its like a brand new LA Fitness with upgraded machines, clean plush towels, and friendly staff. They also have "kids club" babysitting service. Will bring our kids here next time.

Room Tip: Upper floor no connecting
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank john w
Ringwood, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

The ClubSport is a strange place. I was never really sure if it was a health club, with a hotel attached or a hotel with a health club attached.

The health club facilities are excellent, better than in most dedicated health clubs. The rooms are basic fayre nothing to write home about, definitely nothing special. For the price I would expect a lot more.

I found the service throughout the hotel to be to the normal American standard, good but again nothing special. The buffet breakfast was excellent. For other eating probably best to go elsewhere as the choice is limited, but to a decent standard.

No complaints, but at the price not special enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RenaissanceClubSport, Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Rob,

Thank you for taking time to submit your review. Indeed the Renaissance ClubSport is a very unique brand within the Marriott family of hotels which offers a world-class 75,000 square foot sports and fitness complex attached to our boutique hotel. One of the tremendous value enhancements to our hotel guests is that access to the ClubSport facilities, including the massive health club, aquatic center, etc. - is on a completely complimentary basis during your stay with us! No resort fees, no health club fees. Truly an amazing value. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Aliso Viejo, California in the future.

Michael Robby
Senior Hotel Sales Manager
michael.robby@clubsports.com
Victoria, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

Stayed 4 nights. Let me start with the good: wonderful customer service at front check in desk and breakfast buffet. Very comfortable bed, linens, and overall accommodations. Not a fan of the bright color scheme for the hotel, but didn't impact my stay. Lol. Now the other: when I arrived on Sunday afternoon valets were no where to be found, with random cars parked and blocking ability to enter or exit. During my first night I heard the door next to my room open then slam several times; it literally shook the wall and woke me from a dead sleep. In the morning I noticed the door beside me was to a storage room. When the slamming started again on my second night, I counted 5 slams then stuck my head out and asked the young man if he would mind NOT slamming the door again. He was quite surprised and apologized. I stopped by the front desk at 7 am to suggest additional staff awareness or training for the convenience of those staying in these areas of the hotel. Did not hear a single slam nights 3 and 4. :). Accurate bill slipped under the door. Self parking couldn't be more convenient, and is clean and well light.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The rooms are clean, modern and the sports club etc seems great. However if a good night's sleep is what you want, don't stay here. You may as well all be in the room based on the soundproofing - this isn't about hearing loud TVs, you can hear someone COUGH next door. I felt like I was in the same room as the people staying next to me.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from any other guests.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Unfortunately, my stay was very short and I could not take advantage of all the amenities (sports club, pools, machines, etc.). I arrived late on a Wednesday night when the hotel was close to a sell-out, but they upgraded me. They had just unveiled a new menu at the bar and restaurant, which was great. Front desk and food and beverage personnel were great. The sports club was in use all night and early AM, it seemed. Will go back again when I can use more of the facilities. Guest room was clean and modern. Thanks to all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank northofthecape
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I've been trying different hotels in the OC area for a few months of trips lately and the ClubSport rolled around this time. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly - so the basics were met. The room was sparsely decorated, but the bathroom was a bit odd: no towel racks and instead what looked like a book case in the corner used as towel storage. The shower was large and had a rainfall shower head - very nice. The focus here is definitely on the gym, as suggested in the name. I didn't have time to try it out on this trip, but it seemed huge and well-equipped. Ultimately what brought this hotel down from a 4 to a 3 was the lack of an executive / concierge lounge, although there is a nice breakfast buffet (free for Platinum members) to make up for it in the morning. Overall, probably a place I'd stay again with friends or family but would skip for a work trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
#1 of 1 in Laguna Woods
The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!