“Terrible service, dirty restaurant, NEVER GOING BACK!”

Caramba Mexican Food
Ranked #79 of 227 Restaurants in Alhambra
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I had only been to this place once before about 12 years ago. I went back over the weekend with friends and I will NEVER go back again.

The place is OLD and dirty, has a rating of 'B', which is disgusting, had I noticed it before I ate, I would have walked out then.

The waiter was nice enough, but the owner was a nosy old man and completely RUDE. We were sat off the main dining area which was fine by us, but he spent our entire time there looking at us and listening in on our conversation. At one point he tried to join in. Well we were there for a meal and drinks not to be bothered!! I think it made him mad that we ignored him but he waited until we had ordered a full meal and several rounds of drinks before telling us we were too loud.

That place has a BAR in it and the noise level was anything but quiet. I will NEVER go back!

Their food wasn't good enough to make me over look the rude owner. The beans were very greasy, the rice was dry and the meat was bland and mediocre at best!

DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS PLACE!!!

There are newer reviews for Caramba Mexican Food

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I had been going to this restaurant for years. I have a friend who lives in Saugus and it was her bday Saturday. Well she wanted to eat dinner at Carambas. We get there and were seated. I noticed the elderly man who walks around (like I have before) observing like usual. Well we sat at the front booth by the bar. We ordered a round of margaritas and were laughing having a good time. Our waiter (who was very nice and friendly) took our order and I kept noticing the elderly man standing by our booth looking at us. When we were laughing he asked one of us "what was so funny". We kind of shrugged him off. Well he came back about 5 minutes later and pointed his finger at us telling us "YOU NEED TO BE QUIET, YOU ARE TOO LOUD!" My friend replied "WHY? Is someone complaining?" His response was "YES, IN THE BACK, KEEP IT DOWN!" Then he walked away. We were in complete shock because he was so rude about it! We flagged down the waiter and informed him what happened. I told him that I frequently came there with my boyfriend and he replied "Yes I recognize you". Well I clearly informed him that I would never be back because we were treated so badly by some grumpy old man who has no class or any customer service skills! We still left our waiter a great tip, paid our bill and left. As we walked out we seen this guy smoking outside and we were all taking about what had just happened and he told us that this grumpy old man has done that before and that he is an a**! I don't blame him because that old fart was so rude! If you are looking to have a nice dinner and good time DON'T GO HERE! If you laugh at your table you may be asked to leave! CARAMBAS SUCKS!!!

2  Thank soozieq11676
Reviewed June 28, 2009

They are my favorite huevos rancheros and the rice and beans are great. Their salsa is also my favorite, next to Ciros in Boyle Heights. They are tied for huevos rancheros. It's dark inside and going back outside is really a shock to the eyes. The setup is okay, but I go to eat food not a "set up." How long do you actually stay in a restaurant anyways? I always take friends there when they ask for a good Mexican breakfast. They have no horchata and that is puzzling to me. A Mexican restaurant without horchata? The coffee has been weak at times. I like strong, black coffee. The HR's make up for anything negative. Great place. I don't think you will ever be disappointed. Hey, my mom was the best cook and I also sampled many dishes from my friend's mom's where I grew up in Boyle Heights.

1  Thank MP63
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Located in Alhambra, CA on a one way street where Huntington Blvd and Main Street split, this is not an easy place to find. Nor does the area exude any sort of warmth from the outside. Directly across the street from the restaurant is a used car dealership and, to the left is a smog check station and to the right a line of old buildings. Caramba's fits, perfectly, the 'hole-in-the-wall' description.

Walking in, the theme is carried on further. The building is small and dark. The bar stretches to the left and booths line the walls. Velvet style paintings deocrate the walls and, as the customer takes a seat in a booth, they must find just the right spot to not feel as if they may just slip out. Don't let any of this put you off, for you are about to give your tastebuds a feast!

As any good Mexican restaurant does, a basket of chips are brought to the table with some of the best homemade salsa around. The menu is varied and every item is cooked to utter perfection. There is something for everyone from burritos to tacos to enchiladas.

The only complaint I have is that, on occasion, their service can be a touch slow. But, the trade off in taste and quality far exceeds that small failing. I highly recommend this restaurant and can say, from having spoken with the individuals myself, that this restaurant is frequented by many community leaders.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook