“Great Dinner and Service”
Review of Ledford House

Ledford House
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Albion
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great Food and Service. Interesting and unusual items on the menu. The presentation was spectacular and the flavors delectable. The service was very good. I recommend the duck confit or the rabbit. Nice views of the Pacific from the tables, too.

1  Thank pacuarecholo

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We loved the ambiance, food, service and view. The wine and food recommendations were excellent. Will definitely go back when in the neighborhood. We had dinner here twice, since our first meal was so great. Definitely the best meal we had on our 5 day trip up the northern California coast.

1  Thank Mike Z
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We ate at Ledford House on a beautiful fall evening. The view was magnificent and the
atmosphere magical. What a great added benefit that the service and food were also top
notch. Fresh oysters were available as a special, which I took raw with a horseradish
sorbet sauce. Great! My wife had the roast beet and goat cheese salad, which was also
pretty good. For mains, I had the Fisherman's stew, which was very good, and she had the
egg plant Wellington, which was good although the egg plant was a little tough. We shared
a blackberry cobbler a la mode for desert, which was to die for. The service was perfect
throughout. Our waitress was friendly, knowledgable, and charming, and our water and wine
glasses were regularly topped up. Together with a bottle of Handley Cellars Sauvignon
Blanc the bill was $140 including tip. An excellent meal and a great experience, if a
little on the pricey side. We'll be back for sure!

1  Thank TravelIsWork
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The view is stunning (when the fog is out). The staff is great and knowledgeable. The wine list is great. The live jazz is lovely. The kitchen really needs to use salt. Adding it myself does not always do the trick. The steak tartar and pate are great. The rabbit was terrible: flavorless, overcooked and too little of it. The cassoulet is the worst I've had, it was a pile of mush. Not sure I'll go back.

1  Thank Ashley M
Reviewed September 17, 2013

In town for a birthday vacation.

Read the reviews of many local restaurants. Seemed the best around .

First the good news: Views Great. Live guitar/stand-up bass duo very good.

Next the bad: The food and service.

Food: Like some one found a cookbook and was trying it out for the first time or so. Almost everything under seasoned or not at all.

Caramelized onion tart was soggy. Steak tartare very tender but had no taste at all of onion, capers, seasoning or egg yolk. Duck fat fries were just 5 fried wedges. Soup de poisson had a soggy crouton and some grated cheese tossed on the top. Broth was not too bad but a little gritty.

Rabbit was truly bizarre. A leg, tenderloin, and other cut over a bed of what I guess was garlic mashed potatoes. I say guess, because whatever was it was, was turning into a soupy muddy mass in the midst of the wine broth (with bits of bitter peppercorn) that filled the bowl.

I can't imagine the concept a really professional chef would have of this dish to even let it come to this execution and presentation. Total failure.

My wife's filet au poivre was very tender but raw in the middle of a medium rare order.

Chocolate pudding was a sweet mash mess.

Service was country diner earnest/casual.

The place seemed to be packed. For the prices this doesn't cut it. Maybe we just ordered all the wrong items on an off night (Sat.) Hope this isn't the best Mendo has to offer or we're in for a looong vacation.

1  Thank wk542