“A cozy place with good drinks and food”
Review of Nizza La Bella - CLOSED

Nizza La Bella
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Solano Ave.
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I love the bistro comfort food and full bar. The bar tender knows what he is doing and the food is consistently good. Great place to go for a date night!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Nizza La Bella is a neighborhood bistro near the corner of Solano and San Pablo in Albany. There's a great bar with a few tables near the front door, tables and booths in the dining room. The owner has literally written the book on pizza, and the chef is a master with fresh fish (Halibut is my favorite) and steak frites (hangar steak with fries). The mussels and the salads are also very good.

We don't live nearby, so this is not our neighborhood bistro, but we often drive from Marin to Oakland across the Richmond Bridge. It's not unusual to see traffic backed up on 80 headed toward San Francisco, especially around dinner time. It's an easy choice to take the Albany exit, turn left onto San Pablo, head North a few blocks to Solano and stop for dinner at Nizza La Bella. I've never been disappointed, rarely had to wait long for a table, always been treated to a tasty meal.

I work with a fellow who lives in Paris. We were skiing together at Lake Tahoe once, then we were headed back to San Francisco. When I saw the red tail lights ahead of us as we rounded the curve, I asked my friend if he'd rather catch an early meal. I wanted his opinion of the menu and ambience.

We both ordered salad and steak frites. We shared a carafe of red wine from a bottle imported by Kermit Lynch. The steak was better than what you'd expect in a Paris bistro. The caesar salad was delicious. The wine was just right (we took the waiter's advice).

I picked up the tab. With tip, around $100 for the two of us. My friend from Paris gave it two thumbs up. Now when he visits, this is our bistro.

You can probably find the same menu at Le Central in San Francisco, but the room will be louder, the food more expensive, and the parking more of a challenge.

Nizza La Bella suggests the ambience of Nice in the comfort of a neighborhood bistro. The food is excellent. The price is reasonable, and if you're heading into San Francisco on 80, or if you live nearby, this is a friendly place with an excellent menu and a friendly staff.

Reviewed June 24, 2008

Really great atmosphere. Amazing pizza. Great food.

Reviewed April 14, 2008