“Neighborhood surprise”

Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Neighborhood surprise”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our daughter and son-in-law's new house is walking distance of this wonderful restaurant. We went while moving and were wonderfully surprised at the fabulous food. Our daughter had calzone and we had the halibut. The salads were also excellent and the service was first rate.

• Visited August 2013

Albany, California, United States
“Trattoria style dining”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Nice setting, good service and tasty food. The pizza and pasta dishes are always good, but the specials are worth it.

Visited January 2013
Berkeley, California
“Gordon Ramsey where are you?”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you want good Italian food to to mangia mangia

If you like this place - save yourself some money and go to Olive Garden

San Francisco Bay Area
“Avoid this restaurant if you have food allergies!!!!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The wait staff at Cugini Restaurant proved to be seriously unreliable with regards to the ingredients in the items on the menu with serious negative health effects for me after I ate potato gnocchi which I was assured was gluten-free and contained no wheat or flour.

I specifically stated I need gluten-free options and asked what those were. I was assured the gnocchi were "only potato---no wheat/flour" by two different staff members after I specifically double checked and restated my need to know.

I become very ill a few hours later from eating some of the gnocchi and will not completely recover from this unfortunate exposure to gluten for 1-2 weeks.

When I contacted the restaurant later the woman answering the phone stated the gnocchi contain wheat flour. I was not reassured that changes will be made in the training of their staff to ensure the safety of future patrons with food allergies and intolerances. I also question if they take adequate precautions to ensure that cross-contamination doesn't occur even if an item doesn't overtly contain an allergen.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank celiaclady
San Francisco
“Cugini a fine place to dine”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Cugini is a local spot for us, and we don't often think of it as the special place that it is. Wrong. It is wonderful. Have never had a disappointing meal there and don't hesitate to suggest it to out-of-town visitors. It never disappoints. What we particularly like about it is that the ingredients are very fresh in the dishes; you can taste individual spices and vegetables. You don't get the feeling that there is some huge plastic bin out in the kitchen with "red sauce" in it. And the portions are not so large that you feel sick by the time you've finished your meal. There IS room for desert, and this is good, because their chocolate volcano cake and ice cream is a great one to split with your sweetie.

Our service has always been excellent and at a recent gathering, the waiter took several photos for us of our table of guests. A final plus is that Cugini is located on Solano Avenue, a wonderful spot for an after-dinner stroll. The street is always full of people, day and night, with many attractive stores to browse, is very safe. There are a few tables outside, and in warm weather, these are just the place to sit and people-watch.

I do have to say that the place can get loud when full in the evening. We try to go early and to sit near the back, where the booth seating can muffle the room sounds a little. Otherwise, it is a real gem of a place, that captures some of the atmosphere of an Italian ristorante. They don't take reservations for parties fewer than 6 persons.

• Visited December 2012