“Super snall but good!”
Review of Jodie's Restaurant - CLOSED

Jodie's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Welcome to the East Bay's best kept Secret!Jodie's has been at the same location for over 24 years. It's an Albany treasure. When you visit for the first time you'll be given the "orientation" speech. "What's on the wall isn't in the menu and what's in the menu isn't all there is. If you don't see what you want, ask Jodie." Vegetarian? All dishes are available with veggie substitutions. Jodie's famous fried chicken is temporarily unavailable on Saturdays and Sundays. But don't miss the creamy grits on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays! New item available on Wednesdays and Thursdays, Jodie's Soup of the Day with Parmesan Toast and a Soda for $6.50 Plus Tax!Like the sign on the wall says "It's better to serve 1 person 10 times, then 10 people one time."
Albany, California
“Super snall but good!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Reminds me of an old fashion "greasy spoon". A lot like the old non-healthy food Mom used to make. Ample servings and not over prices.

Visited January 2013
jodiesrestaurant, Public Relations Manager at Jodie's Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit to Jodie's Restaurant and hope you will stop again and enjoy another meal with us.

San Francisco
“Tasty fried chicken on the weekends, with delicious grits”
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I had never tried Jodie's, but had walked by frequently and was intrigued by all of the happy diners lounging on the sidewalk in front of the tiny little restaurant. Today I walked by and poked my head in, and was immediately taken in hand by Jodie. He asked if I liked meat, and then ordered a plate of chicken and grits for me, and then sent me out to one of the sidewalk tables to avoid being heckled by all of the regulars crammed around the tiny counter. I didn't have any cash, but he said it was ok. I could go get it afterwards and then come back, "I trust you."

The plate arrived, full of scrambled eggs, grits, fried bread and several pieces of dark meat chicken. (You have a choice of white or dark.) I hadn't eaten fried chicken in years, deep-fried anything usually doesn't agree with my stomach. So, this plate full of rich, heavy food scared me a little, but it looked good, so I was determined to eat it, damn the consequences later.

The food was delicious. But, even better than that, it wasn't heavy or greasy (well, the grits were a little greasy, the way grits should be.) Even after a heavy meal without a fruit or vegetable in sight I still felt good. Jodie told me that they strip the fat out of the chicken. Well, they may take the fat out, but it is still juicy and very tasty.

The food isn't cheap. I spent $15 for the breakfast plate and a cup of coffee. But, it was worth every penny.

1 Thank GluttonChops
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Only one item on the menu each day. Soul food at its best!”
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Only one item on the menu each day. Soul food at its best!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The best Damn chow house...”
Reviewed December 16, 2007

The best Damn chow house in the EB, When it's open?

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook