“Great Duck”
Review of Pappo

Pappo
Reserve with OpenTable
Pappo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 254 Restaurants in Alameda
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Park St.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I go to Pappo for the duck leg, but am often diverted to another dish once I've studied the menu (think pasta bolognese or steak frite). It's a tossup between the roasted golden beets or the anchovy stuffed olives to start, but I almost always end with the cheese plate. Their wine collection is a good match for the quality and consistency of the food and they have introduced me to several new wines that I've then tracked down and stocked at home. I enjoy the consistency of the menu, but might like to see it change some more over the seasons. The restaurant is warm and welcoming and the service friendly and helpful. Always great!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Local and original menu. Love the Thanksgiving Day meal tradition of service to the community! Way to go Pappo!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Pappos was our favorite restaurant after spending 7 days in Alameda on a recent business trip. The wine selections were very nice; we had a couple of bottles of reasonably priced Zinfandel. I order the roasted duck which was rich and savory with well-prepared polenta. A couple of my east coast guests had their first ciopino and they literally swabbed their bowls clean with bread. They offer cheese and smoked meats platters as a starter - always one of my favorite choices for an appetizer. If you only have one night in Alameda - try Pappos.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was the best meal out I have had in a long time. Wonderful food. I went with my boyfriend and his mom. We all ordered something different and each meal was fantastic. I had the special which was lamb, mushroom bread pudding and brussel sprouts and it was perfect. The wine list was good, and the prices reasonable. Service was attentive, and friendly without being too "there". I would highly recommend this place and I'm really fussy.

1  Thank Devon124
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Our office had their annual holiday party here this last Saturday night. I had the Lamb, others had short ribs or salmon. The lamb was prepared just as I had asked-medium rare. Fabulous! I also sampled the Short Ribs-WOW -so very tender and flavorful! Great sides came with each entree. The salads and soups were good also. The two deserts were out of this world-a Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee and a Double Chocolate Terrine with sea salt-I had to taste both, of course. And the portions were quite generous. John Thiel as the chef and owner knows what he is doing. I almost forgot the wines-a Thiel Family Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Both were excellent at their price point. The cost was reasonable for the quality and service (which was also excellent): about $90/person for meal/wine/tax/tip.