“Tasty Burger”
Review of Pappo

Pappo
Reserve with OpenTable
Pappo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 254 Restaurants in Alameda
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Park St.
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is a nice sit down restaurant where the food is quite good. I had the burger and seasoned fries and it was tasty, though pricey. I really liked the ambiance and the wait staff.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

We live in Alameda but have lived and been trying out restaurants in the greater San Francisco Bay Area for over 35 years. Pappo's menu and staff always deliver great food and service. I especially like the duck. We often have chosen Pappo for special events like New Year's Eve because we can count on good food and wine and excellent service in an intimate, friendly atmosphere. It is also now right across the street from a very good multi-screen cineplex.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Alameda eateries have taken a major uptick in quality and quantity over the last ten years. Pappo is a fine example of of higher end both in terms of quality and price. Price - most of the entrees were in the twenties - so affordable, especially given the quality and presentation. Very nice selection of appetizers including duck pate, chickpea salad. Limited entree menu - maybe 8-10 items, but a nice variety of interesting pork, beef, chicken, duck, shrimp dishes. You can see their menu online. The place is popular - so reservations are advisable especailly on weekends. Service was excellent and the wine selections were interesting - and delicious. John, the owner, buys his meats from a high quality meat wholesaler in San Francisco - so you know he's getting the best.

It's not foofoo food - serving sizes are reasonable and prepartion is not overly fussy - so regular people with regular appetities will enjoy their experience at Pappo. My fillet mignon steak was cooked perfectly and was accompanied by delicious french fries. The pork loin was wonderful as was the braised duck leg. Desserts were very good - interesting choices too - including panna cotta - a wonderful Italian egg-less custard which is hard to find and such a treat.

I would definitely return to Pappo.

Reviewed June 10, 2010

The food here was delicious. We had a choice of 2 great vegetarian entrees and the soup was vegetarian as well. One of our guests ordered the duck and it lived up to the reputation. Delicious! Their wine list was very impressive. A focused but well thought out selection that offered many great wines by the glass. We will definitely be back next time we are in Alameda. Plus its right across the street from the New Movie Theatre.

1  Thank oooweeee
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Pappo is a small restaurant - think your little SF neighborhood joint. In line with a small restaurant, the menu is on the small side - usually 5 or so starters, 4 or 5 salads, 6 to 7 mains, and a handful of sides. The mains usually consist of one or two vegetarian options, a duck, a pork, a fish, and a steak, give or take one or two choices. Granted, the selection isn't huge, but it's all fresh & seanal, and sourced locally whenever possible (which gets points in my book).

The food is good. Really good. The best there is in Alameda, IMHO. I am a foodie, so this style of food is right up my alley - if you're looking for Ole's for dinner, this is not the restaurant for you (don't get me wrong, I like a greasy Ole's breakfast now and again, but when I go out for dinner, I tend to go for something a bit more refined). If you're a pork chop fan (the hubby is), you'll be a happy camper. I've had some good meals here, but most border on great, if not hitting that. Service is usually good, but can falter a bit when they're slammed (but then who doesn't drop a ball now and again?). Pappo does not have a full bar, but makes some nice soju "cocktails." Their sangria is pretty yummy. Small, cultivated wine list. We're fans of the Chateau Neuf de Pappo. The space is challenging, and does get a little noisy on packed nights. That said, it's my main complaint, and that's not bad.

We recommend Pappo to all our friends whenver they're willing to trek to Alameda, and it's always a hit. This is one neighborhood joint that we're thrilled to be regular supporters of.

2  Thank CaliGirl510