“Hospitality is so hard to find, except at Alameda's Rodeway Inn!”

Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed March 13, 2014

There are so many things that go into giving a review. But the main key factor of this review is based on the genuine Hospitality, accommodating , helpful, employees at this Hotel. I have stayed at this hotel in the past and on my visit back to the bay I came back to the Alameda Rodeway Inn after a horrible experience at another Rodeway inn (COLISEUM I DO NOT RECOMMEND) .The location and price is what brought me here. The hospitality and genuine kindness is why I will always return to this hotel.After checking in Renae the Housekeeper was very helpful in telling us the other upgraded rooms (jacuzzi, one with a kitchen etc). Hearing this Mina Patel one of the many people that helped make this stay so enjoyable accommodated us by switching the room out to an upgraded king room! Then later that evening I returned to my room and there was a very nice welcoming gift! This property is ran and managed by very thoughtful kind people. I honestly can say I don't know if its because of our past times staying here or this is just the way the ship is sailed here but I will always return to ALAMEDA RODEWAY INN in my travels to the bay area. Its not the embassy but the staff sure makes you feel like it
pros:
Location, price, nearby food, nearby stores, nearby public transportation, Nicer part of the Bay Area
Cons:
Alameda doesn't get warm enough in March to use the pool (laughing)

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We chose this hotel because the hotels in San Fransico are just way too expensive. It was a bit of a drive when you wanted to go to SF but we did not need to be in SF the 4 days we stayed anyway. The location does not look very safe but we did not encounter any trouble... Staff was very friendly, rooms were clean and spacious. There was a pool, but didn't try it.. All in all we were very happy with the place and wouldn't think twice about staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank la_ragazza_mela
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I used to live in Alameda so I am very familiar with the neighborhood. That is probably key to my approval of this Rodeway Inn because someone new to the area would have every reason to think twice when they see the place. I moved there in 1990 and I don’t recall the hotel ever looking any better (or worse, for that matter) regardless of owner or brand affiliation. Meanwhile Alameda has gone for a generally middle-class community to one that is white collar, techie middle class town with Target and Trader Joe’s.
While most people who stay at the motel probably have a car, it is a quick bus trip to downtown Oakland and the BART subway system. (It is possible to walk the tunnel between Alameda and Oakland. It’s not that far and there’s a sidewalk. You just have to deal with the car exhaust.) There’s also a commuter ferry to downtown San Francisco.
The guest room was fine – very clean. It was just oddly decorated. Someone did a nice job of coordinating the drapes, carpet and wall treatment but the bed linen was completely different. I have a feeling this is the doing of a clueless male who notices nothing. The mis-match visual makes everything look tacky.
This is the only Rodeway Inn I’ve stayed in but I’d guess the “breakfast” is brand-standard: cereal, oatmeal, toast, packaged pastries, juice, coffee. (Nothing heated.) The breakfast is in room 104.
The wifi worked fine.
There was a refrig and microwave plus coffee/tea service in the room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RandiinChicago
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Location is ideal...a short 5 minute ride to the ferry to San Francisco, at a cost of $6.25 each way.
No real reflection on the place, but some guests, or non guests...we never found out...make a lot of noise outside our room, at ungodly hours...makes for a sleepless night. Did call the front desk, and it stopped. Housekeeping is a little wonky....we had left the Do Not Disturb Sign on the door knob...when we got back late from Yosemite...our beds were haphazardly made, with our stuff still on them, and no towels. Had to go to Front Desk to ask for towels. They were apologetic. Wifi did not work at all. Had to go to Starbucks across the street, to communicate with family. I have stayed at Rodeway's before and loved it...this place has much to be desired. We definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travel_Bugforever57
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights when visiting San Fran on a budget. The location is bittersweet - the bus stop straight to San Fran in a one second walk away from the inn, costs $4 and only takes 15 mins taking you right to the heart of the city. HOWEVER, the location was dodgy meaning there were loud arguments heard through the walls, lots of loud love making (we assume prostitution) - no one bothered us but it is DEFINITELY not safe for families. Through the day the area is fine - a great selection of fast food restaurants just a few seconds walk away. Wifi worked perfectly. Rooms were big and the shower was clean and powerful. Overall - great place for San Fran visitors on a budget but don't stay here alone or with a family!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Chloetraveller
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is probably the worst place I have stayed in USA travels. Last time I was in Alameda, it was a huge Navy town and upscale town. Now it looks like an slumlord has taken over especially at the motel. Seems to me the owners are just taking the profits and running down the motel and then will dump it. I couldn't understand them when I called to confirm my reservation. The only other place to stay was full and looked nice...I can see why.

Room Tip: No spa or fitness center. We were by ice machine and it was visited at 1am and 3am. Not friendly.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nancy j
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you think this place is overpriced, you haven't done much price-shopping in Alameda 94501. This isn't Oakland. People come to Alameda for a reason: ITS SAFE. I stayed here for 8 nights in August 2013 at $76 per night. Nothing else in Alameda comes close to the price point; Extended Stay America is over $100 with tax, the dated and onery Marina Village Inn is over $125; and both those competitors are off the bus line, you'll need a rental car. Location: This is a great spot for the Bay Area traveler, the 51A and other AC Transit bus stops are literally in front of the motel, its an 8-Minute ride to 12th Street BART, so you can explore the Bay by mass transit and always get back to your room without difficulty. Service: The folks that run this Rodeway Inn (it used to be a Days Inn, was something else before, its a very old property) are really, really nice. English is their 2nd language, but everyone I met--front desk staff, room cleaning crew, maintenance crew--were all really nice, friendly, and willing to help. The rooms are dated but the furniture is comfortable and very clean. The mini-fridge/freezer & microwave worked great. Shower was immediately hot, AC unit blows cold, bed was comfortable. There are hundreds of channels on the DishTV Satellite box, including comedy channel and HBO. Safety: During my stay I left thousands of dollars of sporting goods, laptop and bluetooth headset in my room, and nothing grew legs and walked away. Try that in Jack London Square or Motel 6 Embarcadero; if you're desperate to save $ and this place is too expensive, consider what your personal safety is worth: you can stay across the Estuary, but don't leave anything in your room or your car when its parked. This place is safe, has great friendly service, is in a good location, has great WiFi, and is tremendous value for the $. I will stay here again, assuming the management remains the same.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms are a little quieter (they're all noisy, its an old property on a busy intersect...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Bay Breeze Inn Oakland
Bay Breeze Inn Oakland
#14 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda? Share your experiences!