“Not a great place but not a bad place”

Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The new banner is Rodeway inn and not Days inn anymore. I believe the same Indian family is still the owners but maybe their younger relatives are managing. I stay a week because of the location. The motel is old and shows its signs of aging. It is however quiet and the walls are not paper thin. You can get a good nights sleep. Some rooms here are nice and some are rather run down. Even the best of the rooms need a little bit of detailing. Dont expect any extra amenities , help, or service as management and help are not of the Marriott type of training personality or caliber. You get a decent , quiet room , in a safe location at a fairly low price

Room Tip: Ask for the latest remodeled room with a refrigerator, microwave and stove.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank fungusart

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We wound up at this place by accident, after declining rooms at two more upscale hotels because they did not have wi- fi in the rooms. This Rodeway does. From the street it looks a bit tired, with a closed down restaurant adjacent to the entrance. The lobby decor is worn, but the rooms were a nice surprise with fridge, microwave and coffee maker, a writing desk, table and chairs, and a comfortable bed and a great shower. Also very quiet. And it's across the street from Starbucks and a short drive to restaurants on the same street as the motel. We're glad we wound up here.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank Jackconly
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We stayed here in 2011. In 2012 we found the room unclean with obvious bodily secretions on bedding. Sheets were worn with holes in them. Carpet filthy. Temperature controls malfunctioning. Cannot recommend unless price is your only criteria for choosing this motel

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank Riveroak43
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I loved staying here! It was a great value and was located close to great shops and restaruants on Webster. Also the bus stop is RIGHT THERE! I mean it is such a great location! It made it so easy for me to get around Alameda and if I needed to hop on the bus it was easy to get into Oakland or onto the BART to San Fran! The Rodeway was very clean and the staff was so accomodating! I will most certainly be back when I visiting Alameda!
The only critisim I have is that I do have small pets and do sometimes travel with them and do look for hotels that allow pets. Although I did not travel with my pets on this trip, I did notice that the Rodeway did not allow pets and would encourage them to consider at least a few pet freindly rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Great Location for Alameda and easy drive to Jack London Square in Oakland. Next to many fast food eatries and close to an excellent Mexican Restaurant where we had dinner. Very reasonably priced and a very good basic hotel for someone traveling on a budget. This is not the Hilton, however, if you you want a clean comforable room without having to spend a fortune, this is the place to stay. A lot better value than the other hotels that were close by. They also offered a better continental breakfast than I expected. I definitely will stay here the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pete K
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have read the mixed review and was hoping that it would turn out good. I was disappointed. May be there were nicer units but mine was nothing to write home about. I had been there once before and frankly could not tell how the new management had made any improvements.

Let us start from the check-in. The lobby was spare, especially the area behind the counter. It made this hotel looked like some fly by night operations. The person behind the counter did his job but, in my opinion, had no business working in the hospitality business. No friendly gesture, no smile. Small talk? Are you kidding?

Room was basic which was what I expected. But the bed was horrible! Soft mattress, stained box spring. Sheets were not very clean. Bathroom towels were worse than the those at my company gym. Worst part was that the carpet stank. I did not notice until I was in bed trying to sleep.

I would be more than happy to pay more to avoid this place. Definitely not coming back here.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank ExRoadWarrior2000
Reviewed April 19, 2011

No longer owned by Days Inn. Several rooms are currently being reworked and painted. The two rooms I saw were very clean. The rugs seemed new. Cleanest rugs I've ever seen in a basic motel. One of the bathroom lights was flickering so they upgraded me to their business class room for the same price. The furnishings were all in good shape - not brand new, but not battered or unusually worn. The heater/air conditioner worked well. I'd guess they had been replaced fairly recently. The bed was okay. I like a bed that's moderately firm - not overly soft and saggy. There are several good restaurants just a few blocks down the street for dinner (plus some ordinary fast food places). My only complaint about the motel is they currently have nothing for breakfast and I didn't find anyplace in the immediate neighborhood. Their's only a very basic Starbucks and a Jack in the Box nearby. I got a few basics and used the refrigerator and microwave.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Gordon073
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Bay Breeze Inn Oakland
Bay Breeze Inn Oakland
#14 of 49 in Oakland

Been to Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda? Share your experiences!