“Great food & beer but slow service”
Review of Speisekammer

Speisekammer
Reserve with OpenTable
Speisekammer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 249 Restaurants in Alameda
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Park St.
Transit: A.C. Transit, Park & Lincoln
Oakland, California
“Great food & beer but slow service”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Ordered escargot for appetizer, beet salad, pork shank, bratwurst for mains. My partner who is German was pleased that they offered a beer from his hometown Cologne on draft. Delicious fare, hearty portions but we had to wait over an hour; apparently due to a large party in the back. They should have been upfront about the potential wait. Overheard many unhappy customers' complaints. What a pity because the menu looks impressive and the food is actually good. Servers tried to assuage with free beer and schnaps; I might give it another try before writing it off entirely.

• Visited December 2012

San Francisco
“Deliciously Large portions of Good German Fare”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Went with family to celebrate a birthday. The location is a little difficult to fine but well worth it. The German style foods were well prepared and delicious. Only 1 person in our group was even close to finishing his dinner. My only complaint was the Potato Pancakes, I expected grated potatoes not mashed potatoes, they did taste good, just not what I expected. I shared the Meat Platter and even for 2 it was a big plate of meat. It was crowded for a Saturday night and a little noisy, but the service was good.Unless you like beer a lot, order the smaller size as the bigger one is like 2 full servings. We were all too full to try any of the desserts

• Visited November 2012
Redwood City, California, USA
“Good German food and beer - spotty service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been to Speisekammer several times and while the restaurant was a bit busier than on past visits, the service was not up to par. It was a nice night and we opted to sit outside, which *was* set up for dinner, but it seemed there was no assigned server. It took over 20 minutes for somebody to offer to take our drink order, and another 10 to get them. The food runners didn't seem to know the seating layout, delivering orders to the wrong patrons. Others sitting outside also seemed underwhelmed by the service. The country band playing inside didn't seem to fit the German theme...

Still, good German food and a decent selection of German beers (plus a few American microbrews thrown in).

• Visited November 2012
Livermore, California
“Little Bavaria in East Bay”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

After just spending 2 weeks in Germany and enjoying the delights of good german food and beer, this place hit the spot. The food was very comparible to the delights there and the drink selection was spot on - including a rather authentic radler and apple wine. The salads were very traditional as well being a pickled / vinegar style.

Price wise - the food was on par, however, drinks from the import menu were a bit steep. An apple cider-like drink was $8 and a beer was $5.

The live music was very enjoyable and although not german/european it was very pleasent to listen to and relax with.

Service was the only true disappointment. The waitress got the drink order, meal, and was never seen again till she deposited the check. We were left to ourselves to ask for assistance. Arriving late on a music night and giants on the multiple big screens for the event, we were immediately seated - very appreciated!

• Visited October 2012
San Lorenzo, California
“Who Knew!? A taste of Germany in my own back Yard!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We recently returned from Europe and feeling a sudden craving for some good German food we decided to finally try Speisekammer, we are not sure why we had not before! Our friends who are German go there all the time with family, we just had not made it a point until now. We were all so pleased! My husband had the Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein and they substituted the potatoes for the Spätzle and brought out some delish gravy, my son had the Bratwurst Gegrillt which he loved and he loved how they prepared the sour kraut it had some ham in it and the way they had cooked it most of the sour flavor had been removed. I had the Gratinierte Käsespätzle which was more delicious than I was expecting, in fact I thought I would be able to bring half of it home but my boys tried it and they ate all my leftovers before it left the restaurant. My youngest son had the special Goulash which he enjoyed. The servers were all very efficient and very pleasant. We ate out in the beer garden, it was a very nice evening and was warm enough to eat outside and as well they allowed us to bring our dog along, he also enjoyed the bits of bread we gave him throughout our meal. We will definitely go back, it was a Great experience!

• Visited October 2012