“Awesome experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great White Adventures

Great White Adventures
Ranked #21 of 33 things to do in Alameda
More attraction details
Owner description: Shark-diving experiences off the coasts of northern California and Mexico.
San Carlos, California
“Awesome experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

I'd recommend this to anyone interested in a unique adventure. The Farallon Islands are an amazing protected marine/nature sanctuary. The experience of going out through the Golden Gate, 30 miles to sea and spending the entire day out on the ocean is wonderful!! The cage diving was fun, a truly unique experience (I'm not a certified scuba diver, so was interesting). Saw lots of jelly fish, seals, and a blue whale. Didn't see any sharks, but it didn't matter. The negative reviewers may not have appreciated the trip in totality, & possibly set very unrealistic expectations being bummed when they didn't see a shark. Go with an open mind, with the broader goal of enjoying the total experience --don't go if you think you're going to get into a cage and see a shark --though you might! Great day overall!!

Visited November 2013

BC
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Crew!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

It's San Fran not the Caribbean so the the people complaining about poor visibility and the cold can't blame their own ignorance.
Reality it you're going to freeze, with or without a wet suit. You are probably not going to be able to see more than 15 feet in front of you on a good day, so chances are you aren't going to see anything even if its close by. It's nature, not an aquarium. I saw one briefly so it made it worth it but even if I didn't I wouldn't be blaming the company that the sharks weren't hungry lol
The crew was fantastic and with out a doubt went out of their way to make us comfortable.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Shannonp252
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Rip off”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

One star for the friendly crew. But we didn't go to hang out with a friendly crew on a boat, this trip is a total scam. The chances of seeing sharks under water are slim to none. The water is extremely cloudy and we apparently went on a great visible day- 10 feet of visibility. If it was more then 3 feet, I'd be extremely surprised.

I don't understand how these guys are able to sell this trip. I can't believe my husband and I paid so much, wish we read reviews before going. In the beginning of the trip we were told that just the day before they saw a predation (shark attacking a seal above the water) I have a hunch the day after our trip they said the same thing to the new victims who think they'll actually see a shark.

These guys should not be able to sell this trip under shark watching- they should just make this trip a see the Farallon island and watch some birds and seals excursion- For a lot less money.

Again, major disappointment. And the thought that we got scammed on our honeymoon really rubs me the wrong way. Spend your money elsewhere.

Visited October 2013
11 Thank KathyMasl
Springfield, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“I'd rather donate $2000 to charity.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Please, please, please listen to the other reviews. The Farallon Island tour was nothing short of big money wasted. I honestly regret not looking these reviews up before booking this expensive trip. The tour literally consists of being out on a boat for 12 hrs to see absolutely nothing. It appears that poor water visibility, abundant jellyfish, a few sea lions and the absence of sharks are common factors over the past few years with this tour. Given GWA's website you are led to believe that a shark siting is almost certain...far from it. At one point the tour guides yelled, "shark," unfortunately no paying boaters saw anything. Finally the guides admitted it was a fin. A "fin" is not what I paid money for. You'd get more of a rush and an appreciation for nature by going through an aquarium tunnel. I wish they would have cancelled the trip on us...that way my required trip insurance would reimburse me. Now I'm thousands poorer and no more enlightened. Don't buy the trip...at least not to the Farallon Islands.

Visited October 2013
9 Thank Meg B
Manchester, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“DO NOT GO ON THIS TRIP”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went on the trip to the Farallons Sept. 21, 2013. I should have known when as we approached the islands I heard over the radio, "the show has to start some time this year" My friend and I did two 30 minute dives looking at murky green water. The "decoys" they deploy are thrown out and eventually wind up floating next to the boat. No effort is made to entice the sharks. I realize that there are regulations to protect the sharks and the people studying them. I am all for the protection of both the researchers and the animals, but, if the show has not happened you should let people know before they invest money in a trip. Flights, hotels, cars, etc...

Aside from that, your continental breakfast is a cup of coffee from a thermos like at 7-Eleven and a bagel. Gourmet lunch is some vegetable stew (which was pretty good) and a deli plate from Costco with some small rolls. Not that anyone was eating due to the 4-5ft swells that where rocking the boat. Then of course there were the flies. It was like mosquitos in the Northeast at a BBQ. They did finally move the boat, but they were back in about 10 minutes. I only hope that some of the people already booked will read this and get their money back. I truly cannot express in words what a ripoff this trip is.

That being said, it seems their other trip is outstanding. Maybe they should make it more affordable and concentrate on that.

Kirk McConville