Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
$244
$230
Homewood
$111
All reviewsfree parkingstarbucks coffeefamily visitroom was cleanhot breakfastpotatoeseasy parkingfire stationconvenient locationsan franciscowould stay againwithin walking distancewednesday nightstreet sidebreakfast staffgreat roombusiness trip
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed here over the presidents day weekend, and it would have been perfect had the bay bridge not been closed. Due to the closure it took us quite a bit longer to get to the wharf, but who could have known? The hotel staff was very nice and it is a great value for the money. The rooms are clean. The breakfast was slightly lacking unless you like all microwaveable breakfast items (yes, including the premade eggs). You can make yourself a waffle though, and they did have cereal and toast and yogurt. The area is nice and quiet, and we definitely felt safe. There are several fast food restaurants including a subway right across the street. The free Internet connection is slightly slow but it did work. The rooms aren't huge, but the suite definitely accommodated our family of 5 plus an infant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012
HawthornAlamedaCA, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Thank you so much for your response. You will be happy to know that we are currently working on the issue with the slower internet. We had an equipment failure and should have everything fixed by the end of this week. I am glad that you felt safe and we hope to see you soon! Especially since there don't seem to be any Bay Bridge closures scheduled any time soon. :)

Reviewed February 2, 2012

I’ve stayed at this hotel many times, and never had a problem until now. It was 9:30 in the morning, and I’m having breakfast in my nightgown, when I hear a quick knock at the door… I get up to see who it is, and the door opens and a man comes in and sees me and says “I’m sorry”, (pause) “I’ll come back later” and goes out again. I thought that was very odd because not only is it well before check out time, but I had the “DO NOT DISTURB” sign on my door. I called the front desk and the girl tells me they only have female housekeeping, and one maintenance man. She asks me if I called to have anything fixed. I did not. She calls him and calls me back. She then explains to me that he came by to ask me if I needed anything fixed. I told her I DO NOT, and that it was very strange that he would drop by to randomly ask that, and that he would come into my room. She kind of chuckled and said “I’m sorry” and “I told him that” and “Once again, I’m very sorry”, like it wasn’t a big deal. Very unprofessional. Is it just me? SINCE WHEN DO MAINTENANCE MEN JUST POP INTO YOUR ROOM TO RANDOMLY ASK IF YOU NEED ANYTHING?

Room Tip: Keep your deadbolt locked.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jittterbug
HawthornAlamedaCA, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2012

Good evening!

I read through your review and was really concerned with the issues you experienced during your stay. I spoke with my front desk agent and my maintenance engineer and they let me know what happened, and that there was no intent to do anything that would put you in any risk. I would love it if you could contact me at the hotel at 510-522-1000 or email me at gm@oaklandhs.com as I would like to go through what happened and speak with you personally. I do hope to hear from you soon. :)

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The room was very nice - very clean. The folks at the front desk was very nice, most helpful. We felt like it was a safe part of town. Alameda is beautiful. In walking distance to many places to eat, drug stores, etc. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CSCase
HawthornAlamedaCA, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the beauty that Alameda has to offer. If you are ever in the area again, we look forward to accomodating you again during your visit.

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Although this hotel is across the Bay from San Francisco, there is quick access to the Bay Bridge.
Rooms are pretty standard yet ours also featured a small sitting room, sink, microwave and coffee-maker.
The one downside for our trip is that we left behind a laundry bag of clothes which staff said they had fedex'd to our home but it never arrived and they had kept no tracking number.
Desk staff were very friendly although a little young and under-experienced.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

I apologize that your laundry was lost and I failed to keep place of the tracking number for your items. I tried emailing to speak with you more about this, but I hope you can call or contact me again whenever you get the chance. The hotel number is (510) 522-1000 and my hotel email is gm@oaklandhs.com. I hope to here from you soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I frequently have business in Oakland and usually stay in City Center, but on a recent trip the only hotel I could find at the last minute was $300/night. A friend told me of the Hawthorn, and I had a nice stay there. It is within a 10 minute or so drive to Oakland, and the trip requires a car to get there, and the hotel has free parking. The hotel was very clean, nice staff, comfortable room, decent breakfast with eggs. There is a modest fitness center with treadmill, basics. A short drive away you can be at the shoreline park for a nice walk along the bay if weather and daylight permits.

Room Tip: I asked for a room facing the parking lot instead of the street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business