“Worked very well for us”
Review of Marina Village Inn

Marina Village Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Gold Country, California
“Worked very well for us”
Reviewed April 30, 2007

I discovered this hotel through the tripadvisor website. I was excited to find a Bay Area hotel that was really inexpensive and the reviews I read indicated that it was a pretty nice place to stay as well. We were not disappointed. The front desk staff were helpful and pleasant. The room, while a little worn, was clean and had many ammenities (such as a refrigerator, microwave, and safe). The bed was just OK, a little hard for my taste, and a little uneven too. The best part about it for us was the proximity to the harbor and boats and the walking path. We got a "garden view" room, which looked over a shady lawn and in the distance a yacht club. However, the hotel is right on the harbor and the walking path was a one-minute stroll from our door. The breakfast is very basic, but it sufficed (cereal, coffee, bagels and cream cheese, apples, and plastic-wrapped pastries). We are planning to stay here again because for the price, it cannot be beat.

• Liked — value, location
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank foothill8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Santa Rosa CA
Reviewed December 9, 2006

Alameda is a beautiful little oasis in the middle of the Bay Area, like a small Midwestern town picked up by a tornado and set down on an island just west of Oakland. Although only 5 minutes by car from the city of Oakland, here you can enjoy peace and quiet, and stroll through pleasant neighborhoods or along the scenic marina. This hotel is probably 35-40 years old, but has had a top notch remodelling. Every feature has been updated so that now I would compare it favorably with any Marriott or Sheraton. My room had one queen bed, a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, wall safe, a nice work area, and was as quiet as a hotel room can possibly be. The staff was extremely friendly and went way out of their way to make me welcome. Breakfast was adequate: toast, bagels,cereal,juice and coffee. I was lucky enough to book my room online at the hotel's website, so I was able to obtain the corporate rate of $50, certainly the best bargain I've found this year. The desk clerk told me they are offering low rates online to try to get people to book on their website, and to encourage repeat business. I can honestly say I'll never consider staying anywhere else when I have business in the East Bay.

• Liked — Location, room quality, friendly staff
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — Book through the hotel's website
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank heavybuddy
NY
Reviewed November 26, 2006

I have stayed here two years in a row. It is just a short drive from the Oakland Airport and is great for your first night in the area and then once again at the end of your vacation when you want a quick hassle free drive back to the airport. If you are arriving in the dark, make sure that you have a really good directions from Mapquest, because there is one tricky turn.
Get a room facing the Marina. This gives you a nice view over the water toward Oakland. The staff was very very friendly. The neighborhood is safe, quiet and close to a nice walking path that winds through a very pretty development. It is easy to take the tunnel over to Oakland or to get a ferry to San Fran. There is a nearby shopping plaza. The rooms are not top shelf but they are clean and comfortable. If you are flying in and out of Oakland Airport, this is a perfect pick.

• Liked — Peace and quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — get really good directions to this place.
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank wanderingwanda
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2006

Unbelieveable bad. I secured a reservation on line for a premium room with King bed and sofa sleeper for one adult and two children. We were given a small room with one double bed. WhenI asked for an explanation, I was told that the morning staff failed to pull off the faxed reservation and we were stuck with what we were given. The desk clerk indicated that the general manager was spending the night in a suite and she would ask him to switch rooms with us. The manager arrived with friends and groceries and flatly told the desk clerk, "no way"!
The manager proceeded to ream me out for not using thier offical web site to book a room.
He was incredibly rude and in no way attempted to remedy the situation. I asked who his manager was and he repiled he didn't have one. I asked who owned the operation and he mumbled some response about some corporate endtity.
This all happened between 10pm and 11pm; with two exhausted kids, we had no choice but to stay. After fishing for any kind of apology, this manager lokked at me and said, "shut up and go to your room!"
Oh yes, I will be following up!
STAY STAY STAYAWAY!!!!

Stayed July 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Alameda hotels

Williamsburg
Reviewed April 28, 2006

We were looking forward to staying in a nice waterfront room on the top floor with a king sized bed as we had requested and as we had confirmed with the hotel 3 months in advance of our stay. When we arrived we were told our room would be poolside with no balcony. We asked to be changed to what we had reserved but were told all the rooms as we requested were " reserved" for others and that the desk staff cannot change the preassigned rooms. We found later that the "reserved" rooms were given to guests that had not made the same requests that we had. We ended up with a room that was far inferiior to our request and was suitable only for 1 person with a tiny uncomfortable bed.
Since we were with a group, we stayed the full 3 nights but otherwise would have left the day we checked in. The staff was unhelpful and even combative when we tried to change our room. I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank polly630
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I stayed at the Marina Village Inn for a month while I was waiting on an apartment to become available. The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious. The staff were extremely helpful, going out of their way to help at all times, eg giving me a lift into Oakland when I couldn't get a cab for 25mins.

For the price it was great value for money, and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Modesto, California
Reviewed April 3, 2006

My husband and I traveled to Alameda to be near Jack London Square, the ferry and nice restaurants,close by. The hotel was very difficult to find, even when we were returning from outings, several times. It is in a business industrial area, marina a small part of its theme.
The room was tiny, but comfortable and clean. The heated pool...was heated to 60 degrees, and the King bed we had requested was not available. Shops, stores and restaurants were a good 15-20 minute drives in heavy traffic. Pictures on the internet, were very deceiving. Boats in the Marina had sunk, I believe. Window in our room looked out on a pine tree and the other room we were offered looked out onto a weedy abandoned lot...The marina could not be seen. The window was broken also. We would have had a better time camping in a tent on the side of a mountain, at least we would have had more room. Find a hotel in another area, and don't bother going there.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank Addison14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda
Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda
Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel

Been to Marina Village Inn? Share your experiences!