Marina Village Inn
$159
$207
$152
BestWestern.com
All reviewsyacht clubsoakland estuarycoffee makertucked awaysafe neighborhoodwalking pathsan franciscooakland airportboatsmicrowaveratestunnelferry
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 21, 2012

For aprrox 10 years we have been regular customers at the Marina Village Inn, and regret to say that we will never return. Since the new ownership group acquired the property approx 18 mos. ago the deterioration of the property has rapidly escalated.

Our last stay (2/16/12) lasted approximately 4 hours: Entering the room we were greeted by an overwhelming odor of marijuana (maybe Willy Nelson was in town?), a filthy bathroom with dead flies on the bathroom floor and light fixtures with no bulb, towels that were visibly dirty and stained giving the appearance of being used and unchanged, the bed linens also appeared unchanged (mascara on pillow cases) and the room heater did not work (40F night). The deal killer was the bed bugs in the bed.

These discrepancies were photographed on our i-phone. When we asked to change to a clean, habitable room, we were told that the only room available did not have a functioning heater.

IMHO, the place is a health hazard that is unfit for human habitation and we are contacting the Alameda Health Dept and BBB.

Room Tip: Look elswhere
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank OldDawg29120
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The location was great, the room a bit worn but very clean. The big problem was climate control. The big unit on the wall said it was for heat or cold. The room was 64 degrees until I turned on the heat; it dropped to 61 quickly. I turned it off and went to bed since I was too cold to do anything else. The next morning I asked for the unit to be repaired and was told there should be a small portable heater somewhere in the room. Fine. I left for the day. When I returned that night, I searched out the unit only to find that the knobs were missing. As I didn't have a wrench with me, I was unable to use the heater. That night the room was in the 50s and I slept with my clothes and coat on.

Wi-fi was free, but it only stayed on for about 30 seconds before disconnecting so it was useless.

The room's sound proofing was non-existent, and as it is next to the Yacht Club which has parties at night, this was very annoying.

One positive note was the lighting. There were several lamps which would have afforded good work light had it been warm enough to be out of the covers to work.

All-in-all, a very disappointing stay. Not worth the money at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 12, 2011

About six years ago I "discovered" Marina Village Inn in Alameda, California. This small, independent motel is located directly on Alameda's harbor, and features views of sailboats and, in the distance, downtown Oakland. Although some aspects of this property are a little worn around the edges (e.g. some paint chipped on interior doors, etc.), it remains a great value for a clean, comfortable, quiet and safe motel in the greater San Francisco Bay area.

Room Tip: Request a harbor view room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TRS1955
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Recently our daughter had major surgery at Kaiser Oakland which required her to stay for most of a week. We live about two hours away so finding a hotel within reasonable driving distance was extremely important to us.

While reviewing hotels in Oakland it seemed we had two choices: 1) insanely expensive with teeny tiny rooms and outrageous parking fees OR 2) places where the words "hooker" "drugs" and "cockroaches" appeared in the reviews. We had almost given up on staying overnight when we stumbled across this place.

The Marina Village Inn has the most amazing location right on the marina. The view from our ground floor room (and its large patio) was boats, docks, the harbor and the Oakland skyline beyond. On our last morning there we could see a man on the deck of his boat getting ready to take her out for a sail. So cool!!!

The room itself was in need of some repairs - the couch had a 2in rip in one of the cushions and the arm, the bathroom had a large splotch of black mildew spreading across the ceiling, and the lamp had a fat cobweb connecting it to the wall. The sheets are a bit on the rough side but the bed was comfortable and the tv had excellent reception. The room was well lit and had great storage and a larger-than-average fridge. With a few tweaks this place could be really top notch, but then room rates would shoot into the stratosphere.

Anyhow, I'm super-thankful this place was there for us when we really needed it and if we ever have to go back again it will be our go-to hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for something facing the marina. Gorgeous!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank larissamorn
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Alameda is an island and the Inn has an excellent location right on the estuary with boat docks right out front. The place could be quite nice, but they have let it run down a bit. As I walked to find my room I noticed paint-peeling, junk stored here and there. But I had a nice spacious room on the ground floor with a small fenced-in patio out front, a microwave and refrigerator, tv, shower, etc. Everything seemed clean. The bed was comfortable. However, the phone didn't work, two lights didn't work, and the heat lamp/light in the bathroom didn't work. The phone wouldn't have been a big deal since I had my cel phone with me, but I could not get a strong enough signal to use it. Had to go out in the middle of the big lawn to get a call out at all and kept losing the signal. They also have free wifi, but again, the signal is so weak I couldn't access anything. The lady on duty finally got the phone to work, and I didn't even bother to mention the other problems. They were minor. With a little TLC the place could be lovely, but then the price would go up and right now it's a great deal for a spot right on the water.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo